Attaching Pop Ups

crusian

50 minutes ago, crusian said:

Did you ever work out the answer to your question , Elmo ? .

I'm asking as I've just started using the RidgeMonkey Hook Ring Bait Screws , but l'm wondering should I use say an ESP Plastic Bait Screw that doesn't spin ? .

🤔

Not really I still prefer normal non spinny bait screws though,the metal ones from bank tackle are as good as any I find, 

• 1 month later...

Can't say conclusively yet but I actually tried some radius tackle 360 bait screws on holiday on my ronnie/German rigs , and I liked them tbh the hook holds I got using them were bang in the bottom lip, I think I will use them again tbh maybe my theory was incorrect as they were certainly better more consistent hook holds than the metal ones 

• 1 month later...
On 21/07/2022 at 17:32, framey said:

Some pop ups are not as good as others 

Some softer ones need to be tied on, and some do work best haired and lighter tagged.

I have tried bait screws and I must admit that I am not convinced...

At least with either a swivel or rig ring you can be pretty sure it won't come off.

It's the homemade pop-ups, no matter whose pop-up mix that you use that seem softer.

• 1 year later...
On 19/01/2022 at 07:42, emmcee said:

Dental floss for me. Tie it around your pop up and then tie to ring. Keeps your pop up  much more buoyant if you don't pierce it. 

On 19/01/2022 at 10:04, Carpbell_ll said:

tried all methods, bait screws are good until a bird attacks your bait then you are left with the did it stay on moment, floss is good but not 100 % the best i have found for margins and shallow water is the gardener bait band and boilie stop, it's the belt and braces of the chod rig. 

I did used to tie pop-ups on myself, a uni-knot loop round the pop-up, don't cut the tag end and then use both ends to tie to the rig ring. 

I did find it very effective but every now and again those blooming birds; they can be a right pain with any bait, pulling them off bait screws, taking pierced and blobbed or tied on. Tied on I found was the best answer, especially with very hard baits.

I started meshing pop-ups to slow down crays, but with Women's tights or stockings it does also deter coots, and tufties, although swans just don't get the message.