Waders & Wingnuts

Carpbell_ll

Seen this video of a young lad out on his own fishing in the snow and falling in out of the lake like it's a bath tub, since when do you need waders to fish a day ticket water, no I'm not calling the lad a wingnut, those that can't play and land a fish unless wearing waders, if his mum see's this mess he won't be out fishing anytime soon. like I've said before winter fishing is always a struggle due to the cold mistakes and accidents can soon pile up.

Haven’t you been watching mark pitchers the challenge on YouTube Elmo? Perch are the new carp! 

He was lucky, jumping into a lake at any time of year in waders is dangerous, if they fill up with water, the weight of it will drag you under. I guess the margins weren’t too deep. Cold water shock is very real and very dangerous. We all do silly things as children though, swimming your baits out, lilos, tiny inflatable boats brought for a tenner from a beach kiosk to paddle around the ponds! You hope to live and learn! Too many anglers have drowned entering the water for any reason, tragic and avoidable deaths. My dad was a London firefighter on the Thames fire boat for many years, he saw too many avoidable drownings, that we always had to wear life jackets if we were out on the water in boats or swimming. We didn’t fish anywhere my dad didn’t scope out first and we were always within sight. I was always falling in, there would be a splash as I hit the water then another splash as my dad hit the water jumping in after me! There were five kids all over the shop, so he was always having to leap in... We always wore life jackets, so we just bobbed about like a pike bung! We used to jump in off the side of the boat in the end... wait for dad to jump in and scamper on out ourselves... I’ve always been confident in the water, but you have to respect the water, or it will bite you. I’ve been in emergency medicine for many years and have been to drownings in the past. 

7 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

Haven’t you been watching mark pitchers the challenge on YouTube Elmo? Perch are the new carp! 

He was lucky, jumping into a lake at any time of year in waders is dangerous, if they fill up with water, the weight of it will drag you under. I guess the margins weren’t too deep. Cold water shock is very real and very dangerous. We all do silly things as children though, swimming your baits out, lilos, tiny inflatable boats brought for a tenner from a beach kiosk to paddle around the ponds! You hope to live and learn! Too many anglers have drowned entering the water for any reason, tragic and avoidable deaths. My dad was a London firefighter on the Thames fire boat for many years, he saw too many avoidable drownings, that we always had to wear life jackets if we were out on the water in boats or swimming. We didn’t fish anywhere my dad didn’t scope out first and we were always within sight. I was always falling in, there would be a splash as I hit the water then another splash as my dad hit the water jumping in after me! There were five kids all over the shop, so he was always having to leap in... We always wore life jackets, so we just bobbed about like a pike bung! We used to jump in off the side of the boat in the end... wait for dad to jump in and scamper on out ourselves... I’ve always been confident in the water, but you have to respect the water, or it will bite you. I’ve been in emergency medicine for many years and have been to drownings in the past. 

The number of silly things I have done, going out on a lilo to retrieve fish from weed beds, or put baits out😳, fallen in while fish spotting from a tree when a nesting bird decided I was too close, slipped down a steep bank and in when prebaiting, even just stepping in a deep hole while wading and going out of my depth. 

I've seen a mate get flipped out of a boat when the wind caught it and turned it over and I think a few know the story of Big Dave and me saving his life when he blacked out and went in. 

I'm not scared of water, but I respect it. 

Even a few weeks ago while getting some weed out of the lake in chest waders, it was cold. I was not going to go anywhere above knee level, just in case. 

Too many people forget or don't know about the instant shock that falling or even diving in can cause. 

I was retrieving ducks in a flooded gravel pit one evening, found a sudden drop and filled my chestwaders.  I was able to regain footing and get a bit of the way back but couldn't go up the grade to shore.  Shouted to my hunting partner who took about 10 minutes to find a fallen tree long enough to reach me so I could grab it and walk out.  Drove back in the Gipsy 40 miles in the dark naked wrapped in a blanket.  A life preserver and rope would have been handy.

I use waders myself more for finding spots and casting plus baiting up, never have i stopped to put them on when the rods go, although i did have a big mid thirty out a few years back that cost me a pricey e cig battery and coil i was getting in for that one. 

As for wrong doing we was more into off road bikes at that age before they had helicopters swear the police used to love chasing us around on their bikes. 

On 07/02/2021 at 09:20, Carpbell_ll said:

Seen this video of a young lad out on his own fishing in the snow and falling in out of the lake like it's a bath tub, since when do you need waders to fish a day ticket water, no I'm not calling the lad a wingnut, those that can't play and land a fish unless wearing waders, if his mum see's this mess he won't be out fishing anytime soon. like I've said before winter fishing is always a struggle due to the cold mistakes and accidents can soon pile up.

He’s lucky I’m not scared of water but I blooming respect it we have all done silly things and are still here to tell the tales but sad to say there’s a lot that didn’t make it falling in in weather like that he’s lucky the shock didn’t stop his heart