Carpy spots, split from Simple Stiff d rig

5 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Gravel pits for me mainly i would love a nicely stocked estate lake to fish something like Longleat, the lake bed where i fish is a moonscape the bottom is real soft in most areas sure there is a big slab that could be and old viaduct drainage from when it was dug out,  when you stand on it you can feel it is flat and solid under a layer of silty mud. good spot as well. 

Clever food spread over that spot will soon clean it off I like the silty spots 

Using prebait to clear gravel spots is always worth exploring, I used this to good effect last spring as there was a small hard spot surrounded by Canadian that would do a bite if the wind and light conditions were right. I kept putting hemp and pellet on this spot to keep it clear. It worked for a time, then during summer the surrounding weed grew to an extent that meant this spot was no longer fishable. I could rake the spot clean, but the large beds of Canadian between the spot and the swim prevented line lay and landing fish safely. Most people ignore the swim when the weed comes up, yet the swim has a nice silty area that is fishable, yet no one fishes it. 

1 hour ago, ouchthathurt said:

Using prebait to clear gravel spots is always worth exploring, I used this to good effect last spring as there was a small hard spot surrounded by Canadian that would do a bite if the wind and light conditions were right. I kept putting hemp and pellet on this spot to keep it clear. It worked for a time, then during summer the surrounding weed grew to an extent that meant this spot was no longer fishable. I could rake the spot clean, but the large beds of Canadian between the spot and the swim prevented line lay and landing fish safely. Most people ignore the swim when the weed comes up, yet the swim has a nice silty area that is fishable, yet no one fishes it. 

Strong spod rod and braid and a castable weed rake if you cant use a big rake, this is always in the car does a great job clearing localised weed 

IMG_20200725_120723.thumb.jpg.e31b6e3323484147c67fec6570611a50.jpg

That being said I have lost 3 castable weed takes already 😁

That was the last one I lost but that was due too poopy fox exoshat braid 

IMG_20200703_133100.thumb.jpg.a8a19a7a4cacbb7a2df7da8fe39e9d55.jpg

56 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Strong spod rod and braid and a castable weed rake if you cant use a big rake, this is always in the car does a great job clearing localised weed 

IMG_20200725_120723.thumb.jpg.e31b6e3323484147c67fec6570611a50.jpg

That being said I have lost 3 castable weed takes already 😁

That was the last one I lost but that was due too poopy fox exoshat braid 

IMG_20200703_133100.thumb.jpg.a8a19a7a4cacbb7a2df7da8fe39e9d55.jpg

That top one looks a good un elmo

It looks like a bear trap! The water described above is a public park lake, wading etc is banned, (instant lifetime ban for wading, swimming, letting your dog in the water, bait boats and leadcore) I can imagine the complaints I’d get if I started raking out the weed, I once got reported to the chairman for climbing a tree, then again for hopping a fence, then again for parking behind my swim (on a public road - the house overlooking my car didn’t like carp anglers parking along their road and successfully lobbied to get us banned from parking along this stretch of road) finally I was reported for standing in the out of bounds nature reserve... which was a real feat as I was 100 miles away driving an ambulance car around an airport at the time - You gotta love a park lake! 

44 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

It looks like a bear trap! The water described above is a public park lake, wading etc is banned, (instant lifetime ban for wading, swimming, letting your dog in the water, bait boats and leadcore) I can imagine the complaints I’d get if I started raking out the weed, I once got reported to the chairman for climbing a tree, then again for hopping a fence, then again for parking behind my swim (on a public road - the house overlooking my car didn’t like carp anglers parking along their road and successfully lobbied to get us banned from parking along this stretch of road) finally I was reported for standing in the out of bounds nature reserve... which was a real feat as I was 100 miles away driving an ambulance car around an airport at the time - You gotta love a park lake! 

The fox grappling leads work OK for clearing weed does take a lot longer but they do thin it out a bit, if you kept casting it onto the spot and retrieving it would help make your line lay better, I tend to do anything like this when there is no one around and preferably when I'm not fishing myself,and usually when I plan to prebait, I guess a park lake makes all that trickier though  😭

1 minute ago, elmoputney said:

The fox grappling leads work OK for clearing weed does take a lot longer but they do thin it out a bit, if you kept casting it onto the spot and retrieving it would help make your line lay better, I tend to do anything like this when there is no one around and preferably when I'm not fishing myself,and usually when I plan to prebait, I guess a park lake makes all that trickier though  😭

Park lakes can be a nightmare I’m fishing one at the moment and I’ve had it all demanding a key to the gate swimming when I was wading an retrieving dumped gear it’s all been said an all it done was make me go more and like elmo I weed my swim they just leave me alone now lol I learnt something very important off the misses it’s called deaf ears 😂

58 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Park lakes are a law unto themselves. 

They can be very clique with locals not wanting other anglers on there, and an almost permanent bivvy in 'the best swim'. 

I did fish it for a season, pretty much the only lake I fished due to no transport. I walked and even now walk it regularly. I prebaited heavily, catching a few fish, and was told by the locals when I fished "there's a guy prebaiting but I don't know what he's catching", I was trying not to laugh as my indicators were often bouncing. It took a while before they cottoned on! 

Saying that I was catching as many fish (not as big) on sweetcorn over Vitalin. The boilies were producing doubles while the sweetcorn produced mostly single figure commons.

I also fished other swims, rarely the big double 'best swim', often going into the channel behind the island or the corner swim alongside the rushes. 

When I fished nights I was pretty careful to hide my bivvy, or even sleep rough under tarpaulin and on a sleep mat (see picture on other thread). 

This park lake can drive me to distraction, heroin addicts and glue sniffers at night, (not as bad now as it was though) dogs swimming through lines, winos, litter, even kids on motoX bikes tearing it up... rats, seagulls, tennis balls landing in your swim... I’ve seen anglers fight pitched battles over who got into a swim first, barrow races along the top path... blatant violation of rules... I don’t know why I love the place so much, but I’ve always had a ticket for the place since the mid 90s! It can be cliquey, but I just ignore it! 

16 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

This park lake can drive me to distraction, heroin addicts and glue sniffers at night, (not as bad now as it was though) dogs swimming through lines, winos, litter, even kids on motoX bikes tearing it up... rats, seagulls, tennis balls landing in your swim... I’ve seen anglers fight pitched battles over who got into a swim first, barrow races along the top path... blatant violation of rules... I don’t know why I love the place so much, but I’ve always had a ticket for the place since the mid 90s! It can be cliquey, but I just ignore it! 

They do get cliquey I just ignore it to I do like the park lake I’m on at the moment it’s the canoe canary’s that get me come over an say fishing are you butty while their paddles are picking your lines up off carefully set traps yep there are certainly ups an downs lol 

1 hour ago, ouchthathurt said:

heroin addicts and glue sniffers at night, (not as bad now as it was though) dogs swimming through lines, winos, litter, even kids on motoX bikes tearing it up... rats, seagulls, tennis balls landing in your swim... 

You just have to embrace it mate (which you must have done holding the ticket for so long). I've fished park lakes and you just have to chuckle at all this stuff, you have no choice if you want to catch the fish.

4 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

Bit of Catfish noodling in the margins kind of water. lol I think that looks mantle some of the guys that do it end up with a seriously damaged arm. there would be a lynching on some club waters. 

I do enjoy a good park lake! It’s quite an experience all told, I find myself sitting in a swim, on a water in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by sheep and i wonder what is going on back in the park! Lol! I feel right at home at the park lake, it can be frustrating at times, it’s a real moody place, one guy is on a run of 40+ Blank nights, my last fish out was august/September, yet with covid I’ve been busy with work so have only managed a handful of nights. The place beats you up, then when you think you’ll never catch another fish, you get a take and land a nice scaley mirror and all the blanks are forgotten and you’re raring to go again! As for being mental? Well I was diagnosed with PTSD after afghan, so there’s probably some truth in that mate! Lol!

7 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

I do enjoy a good park lake! It’s quite an experience all told, I find myself sitting in a swim, on a water in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by sheep and i wonder what is going on back in the park! Lol! I feel right at home at the park lake, it can be frustrating at times, it’s a real moody place, one guy is on a run of 40+ Blank nights, my last fish out was august/September, yet with covid I’ve been busy with work so have only managed a handful of nights. The place beats you up, then when you think you’ll never catch another fish, you get a take and land a nice scaley mirror and all the blanks are forgotten and you’re raring to go again! As for being mental? Well I was diagnosed with PTSD after afghan, so there’s probably some truth in that mate! Lol!

Nothing wrong with being a bit mental your never alone with someone to talk to in your head 😂