Simple Stiff d rig

elmoputney

I still use stiff D rigs now and then, dependant on the situation. I used to use amnesia/Fluro/stiff links religiously a fair few years ago, as on my lake everyone was using braids, so I tied up some amnesia rigs just to be different... caught a 29lber that night, a PB at the time so I fished on with them full of confidence.Ā 
Ā 

wind the clock forward 22+yrs and the thought of using a fluro/amnesia/stiff link can make me wonder about it ā€œnot sitting properlyā€ etc... and I find myself leaning towards a coated braid again.Ā 
Ā 

20odd years ago I didnā€™t give it a second thought, it went out, I caught fish on it happy happy.Ā 
Ā 

ive got so many different braids and fluros and other hook link materials (about 15Ā different types in my tacklebox, if not more...) that Iā€™m probably in very real danger of disappearing up my own rectum...Ā 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Does anyone ever use one still ?Ā 

I can't help thinking most people will just use a coated braid for a bottom bait or wafter these days?Ā 

I just made one and I think I like it šŸ¤”

Ā 

Ā 

No, never, it is not my basic pop-up rig, I don't ever use them, they don't work.... šŸ˜³šŸ˜…šŸ˜‹šŸ˜‰

33 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

I still use stiff D rigs now and then, dependant on the situation. I used to use amnesia/Fluro/stiff links religiously a fair few years ago, as on my lake everyone was using braids, so I tied up some amnesia rigs just to be different... caught a 29lber that night, a PB at the time so I fished on with them full of confidence.Ā 
Ā 

wind the clock forward 22+yrs and the thought of using a fluro/amnesia/stiff link can make me wonder about it ā€œnot sitting properlyā€ etc... and I find myself leaning towards a coated braid again.Ā 
Ā 

20odd years ago I didnā€™t give it a second thought, it went out, I caught fish on it happy happy.Ā 
Ā 

ive got so many different braids and fluros and other hook link materials (about 15Ā different types in my tacklebox, if not more...) that Iā€™m probably in very real danger of disappearing up my own rectum...Ā 

I went through a small phase where I used one and I quite liked it, but then I listened to someone who said the same about it potentially not sitting right šŸ¤”Ā 

I think I might give it a go again, if the situations right,Ā 

17 minutes ago, framey said:

What like the German lol

thats about as simple as it can get

I've gone off having a bait screw or, hook swivel on the shank of hook for some reason,Ā 

Ā 

19 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

No, never, it is not my basic pop-up rig, I don't ever use them, they don't work.... šŸ˜³šŸ˜…šŸ˜‹šŸ˜‰

I use a multi rig for pop ups now, quite happy with that, just think a nice simple d rig would work well enough as a bottom bait rigĀ 

53 minutes ago, elmoputney said:
1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Ā 

I use a multi rig for pop ups now, quite happy with that, just think a nice simple d rig would work well enough as a bottom bait rigĀ 

They do work as bottom bait rigs, I used to catch a lot of fish from Taverham on them, although for some reason I started using pop-ups more often, and found as a pop-up rig the presentation was perfect, especially with 20lb Amnesia.Ā 

Ā 

57 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I've gone off having a bait screw or, hook swivel on the shank of hook for some reason,Ā 

I don't like the extra metalwork either. You are almost committed to a pop-up whereas a standard D does work as both.Ā 

9 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

They do work as bottom bait rigs, I used to catch a lot of fish from Taverham on them, although for some reason I started using pop-ups more often, and found as a pop-up rig the presentation was perfect, especially with 20lb Amnesia.Ā 

Ā 

I don't like the extra metalwork either. You are almost committed to a pop-up whereas a standard D does work as both.Ā 

I don't mind using a bait screw Infact I've got Some with swivels on now as well šŸ˜, I just prefer separation from the shank of the hook, with the multi rig it sits off the back of it through the loop , and same with a D rig the metal isn't sitting directly on the shank, it is on the D and separate from the shank, more like a traditional hair, although a ring and floss would probably act more naturally, but more faffy šŸ¤”

9 hours ago, framey said:

You donā€™t need to add a screw, ring or anything just use floss.

Ā 

I think my run of hook pulls last year were all due to the fact I had baitscrews on the shank of the hook, which to me meant there wasn't enough separation between bait and hook, that was my conclusion anyway šŸ˜‚

I also think the mechanics of a stiff d rig mean it will be different for them to deal with as if most anglers are using a semi stiff coated braid it will act Completely different and actually is more likely to hook the fish when it picks up the bait and tightens to the lead rather than when it blows it back out,Ā 

All theories but I like a theory šŸ˜

Ā 

Edited by elmoputney

4 hours ago, yonny said:

I'll happily use a stiff D if theĀ substrate requires it. It'dĀ have to be pretty clean though and I tend not to fish the cleanest spots.

Couple of scrapes with a cast able weed rake would be fine šŸ˜

I've bought some Gardner trick link in silt colour, will give that a whirl šŸ‘

Ā 

Iā€™ve just spent a few (blank) hours on the local pond, I was using soft unvisited braid as hooklinks but after they came back tangled on two casts in a row, (I luckily reeled them straight back in as I wasnā€™t happy with the casts) I switched over to fluro hooklinks, fished combi rig style (using the soft braid hooklinks cut down and tied to the fluro) no bites, yet no tangles either. Checking them in the edge they looked good too, although it probably doesnā€™t really emulate what it was doing over in the actual spots!Ā 

On 22/01/2021 at 17:01, ouchthathurt said:

Iā€™ve just spent a few (blank) hours on the local pond, I was using soft unvisited braid as hooklinks but after they came back tangled on two casts in a row, (I luckily reeled them straight back in as I wasnā€™t happy with the casts) I switched over to fluro hooklinks, fished combi rig style (using the soft braid hooklinks cut down and tied to the fluro) no bites, yet no tangles either. Checking them in the edge they looked good too, although it probably doesnā€™t really emulate what it was doing over in the actual spots!Ā 

I only tend to use soft coated braids in bags as they do have a tendancy to tangle, if I was going to use it without I would still use a Pva nugget or small mesh bag to keep it away from the lead, even in bags and stuff I've found them come back tangled up though, which is a shame because usually it's most natural acting presentation you can getĀ 

Happy to use uncoated braid if the situation dictates. For me, has to be on a leadclip and you MUST feather the cast and hit the clip to avoid it tangling (I do with every rig I castĀ but essential with soft braid). Larger/heavier bait help. If in doubt, attach stringer or mesh bagšŸ‘

In this case, I think it was down more to the cast itself, it required a low, hard punch to get it tight under the overhanging shrubbery and then stopping it dead so it didnā€™t drill into the clay bank that rose up immediately above the desired spot, if that makes any sense! The other rod fished to a more open spot where I could feather the cast went out sweet, the first spot was so tight it required maximum accuracy, a PVA bag wasnā€™t the one, as I couldnā€™t get the mark, with the long low trajectory needed, the PVA bag splashed down too soon, a PVA nugget would have been useful, but the bag was safely in my tackle cupboard at home... (perfectly useless!) as the water was gin clear, I opted to use a fluro combi firstly as it was nigh on invisible and whipping the existing braided hooklink to a fluro ā€œboomā€ was far quicker that tying up new complete hooklinks. An important consideration when I had a carp show nearĀ the spot and I wanted a bait placed and waiting.Ā 

IMG_20210129_165716.thumb.jpg.08ddb92984f84d011d06f81ff6fec0ee.jpg

Finally got my silt Gardner trick link today, I think that will do just fine, would probably make it a couple of inches longer but not too much, this one was longer to begin with but I found it didn't turn as well with a loop knot, so I think probably about 5-6 inches tied onto the swivel with a 2-3 turn blood knot, simple but I think may be tricky to deal with, happy with that šŸ‘

34 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

IMG_20210129_165716.thumb.jpg.08ddb92984f84d011d06f81ff6fec0ee.jpg

Finally got my silt Gardner trick link today, I think that will do just fine, would probably make it a couple of inches longer but not too much, this one was longer to begin with but I found it didn't turn as well with a loop knot, so I think probably about 5-6 inches tied onto the swivel with a 2-3 turn blood knot, simple but I think may be tricky to deal with, happy with that šŸ‘

Is that a bait screw lol

4 minutes ago, framey said:

Thought you had gone off them?

No what I said was difficult to explain so I probably didn't explain myself properly šŸ˜‚

I have gone off them being directly on the hook like a Ronnie or German rig, I don't mind them if there is separation like a d rig or multi rig hope that explains it better šŸ‘