Amberswood Nature Reserve

Hi, 

Any of the other Northerners heard of a lake called Amberswood, based in Hindley. 

Heard it has a decent amount of "Big ens" Carp, Pike, Tench Bream, Roach... 

Looking at giving this place a weekend reccy trip for some depths, features, pegs... 

Screenshot_20201020_184804.thumb.jpg.f633f29d221da03196c4810f3148e2bb.jpgScreenshot_20201020_184818.thumb.jpg.cc868827660b3e4b4a8c7a0a822982c5.jpg

Edited by Highy

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

No pal, just off a few mates, it's like another park lake I fish, open to the public, every Tom **** n Harry's turning up, its a deep place, some big fish in, Eg Tench, Pike Carp, but not many of them to be honest... Im giving park lakes a swerve at moment... 

As far as I know, it's free, it's all abit like 3 Sisters Park lake to be honest... 

3 Sisters - 

Pros - FREE fishing, Anglers look out for each other, nice well looked after fish, looked after park, car park on site. 

Cons - Park gates open 24hrs, boy racers on car park, herds of 14-17 Yr olds n boom boxes, dog owners letting dogs jump in anywhere, supposed only fish far side people fish where ever they want, not supposed fish more than over half of lake, people making multiple fires. 

Also the place is no deeper than 4ft at most, still loads stunning fish in the lake, all boshing and cruising, only ever had 4 fish out there, last was my PB September 2020, can be a really tricky lake, I've done about 10 sessions on there and blanked 8 I think. 

Edited by Highy

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, commonly said:

Sounds perfect for a winter campaign,  if you're up for it?

If not go next spring mate

Lovely fish, I bet thers a few more like that too!

Carp, Pike, Bream Tench.....Apparently all run into Double Figures.

I've got 2 Byometric Maps and 2 Deeper Mappings what a lad has done, but I'm not allowed to show anyone 🙄.

But I'm getting more and more fixated/fixated by this place.

Only that it's mega weedy during Summer months, lily pad roots....Double Corn bait tends to be written alot for the flashes, so don't see why not for here...plenty write ups for the Tench 8lb biggest I've found, Pike upto 30lb ??? The odd Carp apparently....but I'll take double figure Tench n Bream....I'm really thinking of going in 2 weeks for just a trial night???.....Pellet n Corn

Just been told.......

Good 30 carp in.....know of a 28 27 a good few 20s loads of rest up and comers, big tench big black things some of them, yes big pike not really weedy more silty with pads.....

Been sent 3 more pics of 3 high 20's.

2 hours ago, commonly said:

Sounds perfect for a winter campaign,  if you're up for it?

If not go next spring mate

Lovely fish, I bet thers a few more like that too!

I don't have your experience of fishing a big water , Commonly , so I'm curious as to why you suggest a Winter campaign rather than now in the Autumn - I thought Winter was the hardest month ? .

Is it because the smaller fish are less active as it gets colder ? .

😃 

Just now, crusian said:

I don't have your experience of fishing a big water , Commonly , so I'm curious as to why you suggest a Winter campaign rather than now in the Autumn - I thought Winter was the hardest month ? .

Is it because the smaller fish are less active as it gets colder ? .

😃

This would be my biggest water I've ever dabbled in....with it being a Free Water it's not written about much to be honest. 

Gonna try n do some more findings about the place.

35 minutes ago, crusian said:

I'm curious as to why you suggest a Winter campaign rather than now in the Autumn -

Ideally start putting bait in now & just trickle a bit of bait in to try and get a winter spot going.

37 minutes ago, crusian said:

I don't have your experience of fishing a big water

I'm only just starting myself mate. I don't get the time to get any spots going.

I just listen to what and where other anglers have done and apply it to how I like to fish.

Going to the social last week on a day ticket, really showed how my approach has changed a lot to how I fish at the reservoir.

At the end of the day the fish still feed the same, its just a case of finding them😄

1 minute ago, commonly said:

Ideally start putting bait in now & just trickle a bit of bait in to try and get a winter spot going.

I'm only just starting myself mate. I don't get the time to get any spots going.

I just listen to what and where other anglers have done and apply it to how I like to fish.

Going to the social last week on a day ticket, really showed how my approach has changed a lot to how I fish at the reservoir.

At the end of the day the fish still feed the same, its just a case of finding them😄

Also, it's getting to the lake, at moment car sharing with the wife....but the next 2 weekends after this 1 she's away Friday to Sunday and I'm off work, thinking of giving it a go 🤔, pellet n Corn to start ?

• 2 months later...
On 29/09/2023 at 18:33, Highy said:

Also found out we're you can more or less fish....

Screenshot_20230929_182519_Maps.thumb.jpg.5b126381c609d729115d845ce81377b5.jpg

The lake runs from 6ft (from the narrow bottom of picture) to around 16ft (to middle of the wider top of picture)...

How some of the Fishing Areas look...

Screenshot_20231224_081450_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a311c246710ec6cc7bbfe13d19e81634.jpg

Screenshot_20231224_081552_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a8cf56861f2e539fe833b1edeeb209f9.jpg

Screenshot_20231224_081659_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5736635fb222e5f6a353f7c40ad218e8.jpg

Screenshot_20231224_081719_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b8a104fc7a992883c974055bc1127e1d.jpg

The last picture is taken from the Left Red Dot, Middle area, on the above Map.

At the moment, Bait wise I'm at, 20kg Aller Aqua Pellets, around 60kg Bio Marine, 5kg Sticky Krill, 5kg DNA Slk....

What would be a good time to start up a Pre Baiting Campaign for Spring Time fishing ???

21 minutes ago, framey said:

Wait until after the freeze up..

why bother getting something going and then have to stop if there is a freeze

waste of time money and bait.

Was thinking same, would March time be a good time? I'm gonna go in with Particle to get some spots going/cleared, then introduce the pellets, then the Sticky Krill + Bio Marnie....hopefully give a good month about twice a week....but need to get down and also find some areas with the Marker Rod....

imo

Sorting the areas is different 

winter usually means less anglers on the bank to disturb so you can find areas to target no one to spot what you are doing and finding etc

find where the sun hits first,Midday etc. and then use those as the possible likely areas after the freeze when it happens 

and if it doesn’t ??
you have done the hard part at the crappiest fishing time (for humans) anyway so you can then concentrate on the catching 👍👍

Edited by framey