Marker rod?

Hi guys at the moment I tend to use one of my spod rods for spodding and leading about and as a marker rod, would an actual marker rod be a worthwhile investment or not? I don't find my spod rod is too bad at the job but would a marker rod be better,? I've actually never owned one and just wondered? 

57 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Hi guys at the moment I tend to use one of my spod rods for spodding and leading about and as a marker rod, would an actual marker rod be a worthwhile investment or not? I don't find my spod rod is too bad at the job but would a marker rod be better,? I've actually never owned one and just wondered? 

I would say yes, because I often use the marker to bait up to with the Spomb or spod.

A mate of mine uses the Sonik Vader Carp Marker/spod rod.

I have used it with a Korda Marker and 3.5oz lead for feature finding on the reservoir. 

I've got 2 spod rods one is a 5.5lb fox warrior and I have a wychwood s1, which I cannot find out what tc it is, I think it's lighter though probably about 4lb or so, it's OK if the spots are quite easy to find just wonder if a dedicated marker may do a better job, basically I am trying to not buy a deeper at the moment so considering all options first 🙄

12 hours ago, elmoputney said:

would an actual marker rod be a worthwhile investment or not?

Depends how you want to use it mate.

If you want to spod to a marker float then yes.

If you don't, it's a waste of space and money.

I use my carp rods to lead about. If I need to determine really accurate depth with a marker float I'll just use the spod rod.

12 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I don't find my spod rod is too bad at the job but would a marker rod be better,?

Nope. They're pretty much the same thing mate.

48 minutes ago, yonny said:

I use my carp rods to lead about. If I need to determine really accurate depth with a marker float I'll just use the spod rod.

That's good I thought that it might not make so much difference,was kind of hopeful anyway, everyone seems to be making a universal spod/marker rod these days so I suspected as much

I think first thing I may try is some better marker braid, probably Gardner kinetic if I can get it today, will see if that helps I am using 50lb braid at the minute, I think it may be a bit bullish and also perhaps it's knocking a few yards off the casting ability

I do have a spare 2 3/4lb carp Rod kicking about I might even try that as a leading about rod to see if that's any good, I think maybe using a lighter lead may help in the weed and that would be a more sensitive rod to match maybe worth a try anyway 

12 hours ago, yonny said:

I use a white pen to mark a foot on all my rods 

edding 780 paint marker

Well after getting new braid on the reel, even without enough packing it added a good few wraps on the distance of my cast, and the Sonik reel I've been saying was knackered for ages and sounded like a bag of spanners in a washing machine, went quiet and changed into a nicer reel, so I guess using tow rope 5olb braid may have been the issue, it was also much easier to retrieve, ☺️

Might get some lighter spod braid next and use a shock leader, will soon be able to fish properly at distance, 

How far should I be able to get a loaded large spomb with a 5.5lb tc rod? It's probably the right rod for a large spomb I think but just wondered how far people can chuck them? 

37 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Well after getting new braid on the reel, even without enough packing it added a good few wraps on the distance of my cast, and the Sonik reel I've been saying was knackered for ages and sounded like a bag of spanners in a washing machine, went quiet and changed into a nicer reel, so I guess using tow rope 5olb braid may have been the issue, it was also much easier to retrieve, ☺️

Might get some lighter spod braid next and use a shock leader, will soon be able to fish properly at distance, 

How far should I be able to get a loaded large spomb with a 5.5lb tc rod? It's probably the right rod for a large spomb I think but just wondered how far people can chuck them? 

I'd say a large spomb and a 5.5lb tc rod you should easily hit 100yds. It's all about compressing the rod combined with technique.  Use a finger protector if you don't already. 

3 hours ago, emmcee said:

I'd say a large spomb and a 5.5lb tc rod you should easily hit 100yds. It's all about compressing the rod combined with technique.  Use a finger protector if you don't already. 

Nice one I think maybe I just need to use that one for the large airbomb, I'm starting to get better at casting distances with the rods but I couldnt quite get the distance with my other spod rod 

I think my other rod is probably about 4lb tc because it casts a 4oz gripper nicely so probably better with a midi spomb, 

I guess with a balanced set up it should make it easier 👍

Must get a finger stall, I have got a kevlar glove though which I keep meaning to use but if I don't start soon I will probably regret it 😭