Line gathering at bottom of spool like a cone when respooling

On 23/04/2022 at 14:23, newmarket said:

Ok so I’ve now got my spare spool and I want to Respool my one with the dodgy cone looking thingy from above post 🙄.

So , do I literally throw it in a bucket of water , put it on my reel and that’s that ?

Or do I have to do it twice , off the spool and then back on again to make sure it goes on in the right direction/clockwise/anti clockwise ?

I really don’t get this stuff 🤦🏼‍♂️

23 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Ok well either everybody’s out fishing or they can’t help me , that’s fair enough 😊

Anyway I’ve had to try again as weekends is the only time I get to do this stuff , so , I’ve taken a washer off so that it’s the same as my other 2 reels in an attempt to get rid of this ‘coning’ on the spool and respooled in exactly the same way as I respooled my other reels and it turned out exactly the same , maybe even worse , right to the brim at the back and middle , about a centimetre from the brim at the front 🤦🏼‍♂️
Im now at my wits end 😡.

I'd spool it onto the spare spool, then do half back onto the original spool, then look at the washer issue again. 

2 minutes ago, Highy said:

I'd spool it onto the spare spool, then do half back onto the original spool, then look at the washer issue again. 

Thanks . After I’d calmed down a bit 🙄 I tried it again and this time it turned out a lot better .

Not perfect by any means but a lot lot lot better and more than acceptable to me thanks .

I hate maintenance .

16 hours ago, newmarket said:

Thanks . After I’d calmed down a bit 🙄 I tried it again and this time it turned out a lot better .

Not perfect by any means but a lot lot lot better and more than acceptable to me thanks .

I hate maintenance .

If you are still struggling have a look at line spoolers, they help sort out the tension a lot, I sold my evos at the weekend 😭

How many washers have you got on your evos? 

6 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

If you are still struggling have a look at line spoolers, they help sort out the tension a lot, I sold my evos at the weekend 😭

How many washers have you got on your evos? 

One washer now mate , or should I say one on my additional reel now , always had one on the original two and they’ve always been fine . 
The problematic one isn’t too bad at all now , perfectly acceptable to me now anyway and it’s not twisted or anything .

You know Elmo , I think it’s how I was holding the rod when I was winding it on …

I tend to hold the butt section up in the air like I was playing a fish as it’s easier on my arthritis but when I wound the line on a 3rd time , keeping the rod low , matchman style , it lay a lot lot better .

How much did you get for your reels ? Was it what we discussed the other day ?

26 minutes ago, newmarket said:

One washer now mate , or should I say one on my additional reel now , always had one on the original two and they’ve always been fine . 
The problematic one isn’t too bad at all now , perfectly acceptable to me now anyway and it’s not twisted or anything .

You know Elmo , I think it’s how I was holding the rod when I was winding it on …

I tend to hold the butt section up in the air like I was playing a fish as it’s easier on my arthritis but when I wound the line on a 3rd time , keeping the rod low , matchman style , it lay a lot lot better .

Glad you sorted it, I soak my line for a bit then use a line spooler these days, I find it works well and gives you a fairly even tension, 

I took £90 in the end for them, another thing I don't have to store now, I'm quite enjoying getting money back rather than just spending 😂

56 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Hi Newmarket 

I'm happy that you have sorted your problem .

When I have respooled my Garcia Mitchells if I held the butt section of my rod up in the air like you did , I also ended up with " coneing " .

😃

i usually leave the line in water overnight if i have time and not last minuting it label side up just winding through the butt section and a damp cloth, the gardner hd line went on lovely as did the fox fluro i was surprised by just how well that loaded, you do need to keep the tension when opening the baile arm though that's the same for tiger line for the first few sessions then it really starts to work nice.

To be fair it has been under extreme tension on my reel for a few weeks now so it should be ok as in not spring off the reel at the end of the cast. chucked across the field with a 3 oz distance lead it really did sink in and i wound in under the lead in mud tension.

be out this week just nipping to a local water for a overnighter.

4 hours ago, crusian said:

Hi Newmarket 

I'm happy that you have sorted your problem .

When I have respooled my Garcia Mitchells if I held the butt section of my rod up in the air like you did , I also ended up with " coneing " .

😃

Let that be lesson 4 anybody else having similar problems in the future eh 🙄

They don’t mention THAT in the tutorials do they ?