Do rods lose their "strength" with time?

I use a set of three Greys Prodigies which I've owned for at least 12 years, probably more. Not long after buying them I hade them converted to full cork handles and Fuji reel seats. I love these rods! They are in 3lb test, or were when new.

Do you guys reckon they'll have softened a little over the years? I only ask as I'm doing much of my fishing on French waters these days and want to be confident that I'm still suitably armed for the better stamp of fish.

Ian.

Ive often wondered this ,if it does it must be really negligible given how carp rods are used in general .

I guess you could test the rod , now as I understand it ,if your rod is 3 lb TC then attach a 3lb weight to your line and lift , your rod should be horizontal and your tip vertical pointing to the ground as you lift.

I do stand to be corrected on this ,but thats how I understand it 

2 hours ago, dayvid said:

Ive often wondered this ,if it does it must be really negligible given how carp rods are used in general .

I guess you could test the rod , now as I understand it ,if your rod is 3 lb TC then attach a 3lb weight to your line and lift , your rod should be horizontal and your tip vertical pointing to the ground as you lift.

I do stand to be corrected on this ,but thats how I understand it 

More often the rod is clamped (or held by a mate!) around the reel seat against a wall, the clutch tightened up and a spring balance tied to the line and pulled until the tip is at 90 degrees and the weight reading taken. I did hear about one manufacturers rods 'softening' with age but don't think it was much and probably not worth worrying about. 

They will only soften with use so unless your hauling carp every week throughout the year they will be fine Ian.

Even then I think they only soften slightly let’s be honest if you hook a big cat your going to get the run around unless your using your spod rod and even then it’s in the lap of the gods 😂😂😬

As the rods soften with age, you won't notice it, you will feel them as normal, you are 'in tune' with them. Your regular casting and playing of fish will see them softening at roughly the same rate on each rod.

Certain rods will take longer to soften, dependant on quality of materials and production, and Greys are one of the manufacturers who use high quality equipment and materials, although I don't know if they autoclave the rod blanks.

The best way to find the current test curve is gradually adding weight to find out at what weight will bend the rod to 90degrees from butt to tip. This will also give an indication of the action, you should be able to see it.

Just sticking them on a spring balance may mean you don't find a true test curve as it is very difficult to stay in the same position on the rod butt and your colleague on the rod tip.

Another way possibly is to go across a field and find out what casting weight is best for distance; if it is a 3oz lead, then the rods are around 2.75 lb TC, 3.5oz, then around 3-3.25lb.

Personally I've landed fish to 33lb on 2.75lb rods, with no problems. I think the action is often more important than the higher test curve.

7 hours ago, snowmanstevo said:

They will only soften with use so unless your hauling carp every week throughout the year they will be fine Ian.

Even then I think they only soften slightly let’s be honest if you hook a big cat your going to get the run around unless your using your spod rod and even then it’s in the lap of the gods 😂😂😬

Your analogy about cats was spot on, Stevo. I got into one at Windmill Lakes, Cosse-en Champagne, this June. It lead me a merry dance for what seemed like an age until it eventually showed as 41lb8oz on the scales. Not the biggest in there but my current PB. Know what? I'll keep on using the rods.

Ian.

Going off topic slightly, a sign of aging could be sag, i.e. you look down the rod and there is a slight drooping towards the tip. This was more prevalent on the good old split cane rods or rods with more or heavier eyes than the standard rods of today. Easier way to cure that was to take the eyes off and re-whip them at 180 degrees so it counteracted it. The rod was still softer but it didn't play havoc with some anglers OCD!  

Edited by Golden Paws
repetition!

My old Dam 2.5lb were moved on after 14 years as they were down to about 2lb tc, they do lose a bit of stiffness, its a bit like running a car in and then running it over a long period of time... they lose a bit of BHP... you automatically compensate your playing style to suit the softer rod... when you get a new rod of the same poundage you'll notice the difference... thay said if you are comfortable with the rods and they are not damaged in any way then carry on using them if thats what you want to do...

As a lover of split cane my heaviest rods are probably approaching 2-2.5lbs tc but being short and stiff they feel much heavier... but they'll obviously soften with age and as someone said they'll get "Turned"at their next rebuild

The Ultimate 2.25 lb rods I got about 15 years ago were part of a cheap kit and probably not intended to work too hard (the reels didn't last).  All fiberglass (not a shred of graphite) and because of our 1 rod rule I used the same rod most of the time.  I wouldn't be surprised if it tested at 1.75 lb or less now, but for the close river swims where I never have to cast more than 10 to 25 yds I still like to use it.  I suspect graphite rods aren't going to soften up to the same degree.