OVER DOSING ON BOILIE DIPS

I have just purchased some frozen boilies from Quest Baits, (special crab + and also Tigernut crunch.

I purchased the boilie dips to go with them both, my question is that I am told that they you only dip the boilies in the dip and not to soak them in the dip?

I have soaked the bolies in the dip, hoping that in reality you cant really overdose or can you to extent that the carp will be put off my the overpowering smell and taste?

I am wondered ive overdosed beacuse my fridge is stinking of the boilies now and wonderd if Ive wasted my money by soaking them?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter or expiriences of doing this when told not to and if you did did you more importently still manage to catch carp?

I have rougthly put in half a tub into each 1kg 20mm boilie bag, there not big tubs they look more like tablet tub size?

if youve done all your boilies they could be a bit over flavoured, with it been a shop bought dip you shouldnt be able to completly overdose them?

id crumble them (crush them between your finger and thumb) and use them with a whole soaked boilie as a hookbait in a pva bag and use undipped boilies (maybe buy somemore?) as free offerings catapulted around it.

i wouldnt worry youve soaked your hookbaits rather than just dipped them, use on on one rod and a unsoaked on another if you want to experiment.

I used to use soaked hookbaits and for the first couple of sessions not long after i put them in the container, i got results on them. But after the weeks went by i couldnt get a bite on them. I think that they were too over flavoured so i dumped the lot.

I would only use them now in extreme circumstances when struggling for a bite or in winter when using singles but i wouldnt have them soaking no longer than a week. After that i would dispose of them and put some fresh ones in.

And i wouldnt use soaked pop ups either, cos after a few weeks the buoyancy would be effected and they sink after a while and you end up fishing with a bottom bait instead of a pop up.

If you are using Boilie dips then my advice is to fish single hookbaits, with limited or no freebies around it. You are relying on the attraction of the Hookbait to pull the carp to the bait.

As for overdosing, even with shop bought dips and glugs, unless you know that they don't contain any ingredients that, in excess, can repel carp then its possible that they can be overdosed.

I much prefer Glugs/dips that contain things like Nutramino, Multimino, CSL Liquid, but with no added flavours. It tends to be the flavours that act as a repellant in excess. Who knows what percentage of flavour in a dip is going to make it repellant?

Its also far better to get the carp onto a long term food source bait and feed regularly, (even when not fishing), than to fish Attractor baits as in many waters the carp are now getting extremely wary of Hi-Vis and/or overflavoured hookbaits.

• 4 weeks later...
It tends to be the carrier for the flavour that repels fish if in high quantities so chances are they will be to strong. Try making your own dips with essential oils or natural flavours & it will be ok to soak them.

Essential Oils can be overloaded. Many are best at extremely low dosages, Leek and Garlic are best at levels as low as 2drops per 250ml Bait Soak.

The type of flavours, as pointed out above by Gaz in his point about Natural Flavours are important, but even Citrus Flavours or Fruit flavours on Esters can be overloaded.

I have written about the types of flavours in the past.

The Flavour Base Solvent can have a lot to do with the Attraction of a Flavour as well.

There are different types of Flavours in the Equation:

Nature Identical (NI), these aren't Natural Flavours in the slightest. They are normally the Chemical Make up of a Flavour copied producing the same Smell/Flavour. To me these Flavours have a Sharp Tang, especially the Strawberry Flavours, which taste totally different from the Natural Product.

Natural (N), a flavour produced using the Natural Essential Oil or Product. Fruits have very little Essential Oil, the Natural Oil from a Fruit is normally called an Ester. These Esters are normally the Active Attractor of the Fruit. In meat and even some Dairy based flavours it tends to be a dried and powdered form of the product

Natural and Artificial (N&A)

Artificial (A) A totally artificial Flavour

WONF, with other Natural Flavours.

The Base Solvent that they go on will have some Relevance as to the Flavour and smell of the Flavour as well.

The Common Solvents used for Flavour Bases are:

Isopropyl Alcohol, a Base used normally in the Soft Drinks Industry, where a High Degree of Water Solubility is required.

Propylene Glycol, Used in Industries where High Temperatures are Common Place, normally Biscuit Making and Confectionary. Propylene Glycol however is also used in the Automotive and Aero Industries as an Anti-Freeze and Coolant, so is it safe for use in Food Use? It has also been linked to Cases of Impotence in Humans when used in Excess (Ask some German Vineyards)

Ethyl Alcohol, the most Soluble flavour Solvent available, it is also a Solvent thats use has been linked to Liver and Kidney problems in Humans.

Diacetin, an Acetic Acid Ester similar to Glycerol

Triacetin, similar to Diacetin, but with a Different Boiling Point.

Glycerol/Glycerine. The by Product from the Saponification of Fats. It is a Natural Enhancer, Emulsifier, and Anti-Oxidant.

Neilscatchin can give a long list on its benefits in Fish Oils.

Now from Experience I have seen Many Flavours on a Particular Base all blow about the same time, so the Base Solvent can have some Bearing on a Flavour and its attractiveness, these have mostly been the Alcohol Based ones.

I much prefer the Glycerol Based Flavours as well myself, as they have a Natural Sweetness that is not bitter, sharp or sour. They also release well in the Winter, despite what many people say. I think the more Soluble Bases actually release too Quickly leaving nothing but the Bait Natural Flavours to Attract (not necessarily a Bad thing).

I think that the Majority of Essentail Oils offer a more Natural Taste, but you have to be very careful not to Overload with them as in some cases a drop is Overloaded.

Thats from this thread:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24365

Air Drying reduces the Moisture Content in baits.

Oils may turn to a sticky snot type thing on the outside of them.

When the Bait is rehydrated then the flavour will still be released. Hence why I don't like using Artificial Flavours in Food Source Baits.

If you use them as an Individual Attractor bait with no freebies around they may still work. The Carp do not eat the individual hookbait.

• 5 weeks later...

iv got boilies that have been soking in various dips for years. I have a few different coulr singles and some bottom baits soaking in different flavours. The key to remember is natrual ingriedients are hard to overdose i use csl minamino and a small amount of the chosen flavor only 2-3 ml. if your looking for a dip just to put baits in before you cast out then go for a stronger level as the baits will wash off quicker leaving you with the flavour around the hookbait and in the water coloum.

• 3 weeks later...

Another point that I didn't extend onto is that Carp may take soaked/dipped boilies quite happily, but regular captures on them and they may start to get wary and eventually refuse to take them. A continually overflavoured bait and the Carp may start to not take them

• 13 years later...
On 24/06/2007 at 09:11, stevefranco said:

I have just purchased some frozen boilies from Quest Baits, (special crab + and also Tigernut crunch.

I purchased the boilie dips to go with them both, my question is that I am told that they you only dip the boilies in the dip and not to soak them in the dip?

I have soaked the bolies in the dip, hoping that in reality you cant really overdose or can you to extent that the carp will be put off my the overpowering smell and taste?

I am wondered ive overdosed beacuse my fridge is stinking of the boilies now and wonderd if Ive wasted my money by soaking them?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter or expiriences of doing this when told not to and if you did did you more importently still manage to catch carp?

I have rougthly put in half a tub into each 1kg 20mm boilie bag, there not big tubs they look more like tablet tub size?

You can definitely overload a boilie not sure tho with natural ingredients like garlic chilli etc