Choosing a pit reel??

Guys I’m looking at getting myself some big pit reels but not sure what ones to get as there are so many to choose from! Now I’m not one to spend big bucks but at the same time don’t want some budget reels that won’t last a season, or some big chunky thangs! I’m not bothered about the colour or anything more looking for a good all rounder with a fast drag, preferably not to heavy either! As I was looking at the sonics x 8000 which are going for £50 but on the reviews they said they were quite heavy. 

I’m after a set of three max budget of £200 any help would be much appreciated 

23 minutes ago, Lumeymorris said:

Guys I’m looking at getting myself some big pit reels but not sure what ones to get as there are so many to choose from! Now I’m not one to spend big bucks but at the same time don’t want some budget reels that won’t last a season, or some big chunky thangs! I’m not bothered about the colour or anything more looking for a good all rounder with a fast drag, preferably not to heavy either! As I was looking at the sonics x 8000 which are going for £50 but on the reviews they said they were quite heavy. 

I’m after a set of three max budget of £200 any help would be much appreciated 

With that budget I would actively seek a heavier reel buddy. At 50 quid a pop the only reason they'd be light is plastic components, you'll not find advanced composites etc for that kind of money. A heavier reel will last longer.

Ive just had a look and at £70 a pop I quite like the look of the diawa emblem xt (black series) I use my old trusty diawa emcast evos and absolutely love them so for reels my go to would be diawa, having said that I have bought a sonik Vader spod reel and although I haven't used it yet feels balanced on my spod rod and feels like a good solid reel, I'm gonna give it a thrashing tomorrow night so will let you know more then , at the end of the day I think it's better to look at reels in a shop so you can get a feel for them plus they may do you a deal for 3 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

Still haven't made up my mind lol and a as looking again today and saw some Shimon aerlex 10000 tbs for £53 instead of £80 any good??

I have Shimano Beastmaster 7000 XTA's, which have since been updated, why I don't know, they were a blooming good reel for the price.

The lastest incarnation is the Shimano Beastmaster 10000XB

https://fish.shimano-eu.com/content/fish/eu/gb/en/homepage/Product-detail.P-BEASTMASTER_XB.html

Shop around for best price though, they go from £65-75 I think from what I have seen.

Right I’ve found some I’m happy with but there’s just one thing I’m a little confused about, you see most reels are 5000,10000 and so on but what does this mean as my friend has some that are 14000 which hold 400metres of 15lb line and the 5000s I’m looking at hold 300 metres of 15lb line. Can anyone help??

49 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Isn't the only usual rule the higher the number the bigger the reel 🤔

I would go to a shop and pick one you feel most comfortable with 

It's the only way to buy a lot of fishing gear , you need to handle it and ideally feel the rod and reel together . 

I get what you guys are saying with going into the shop but I don’t drive and the tackle shop near me is a joke the owner won’t budge on prices either and can get them at better price online. Luckily my mate has the Daiwa Crosscast reels but the 5500 so I’ve been able to have a good look and feel and anyway thanks for all your help guys