Summer Baiting approach

TaylorR

On 29/03/2019 at 19:19, elmoputney said:

What are your thoughts on summer baiting btw ? 

Well I know that due to the heat carp are more likely to eat particle (e.g. sweetcorn, hemp, tigers) To get this kind of bait out there you usually need to spod it out, yet I do not have a spod rod as I am new to carp fishing.

I'm thinking about using smaller boilies or fishing a margin where I could possibly get bait to instead of spodding.

1 hour ago, TaylorR said:

Well I know that due to the heat carp are more likely to eat particle (e.g. sweetcorn, hemp, tigers) To get this kind of bait out there you usually need to spod it out, yet I do not have a spod rod as I am new to carp fishing.

I'm thinking about using smaller boilies or fishing a margin where I could possibly get bait to instead of spodding.

Nothing wrong with margin fishing😉

I think honestly I have caught far more carp under 20metres from the bank than at longer range, including fish to over 30lb from under my rod tips.

Baiting up by hand or catapult is a whole lot easier than spodding. 

I usually use a mix of boilies and particles in my summer fishing however I put it out

On 28/03/2019 at 10:18, TaylorR said:
1 hour ago, TaylorR said:

If you need to get some particles out a bit further you could always use groundbait and catapult the balls out that should help , but tbh the margins can be great for setting lovely little traps in the summer, and you can get usually Bait far enough with a catapult i use mine more than my spod tbh good luck 

17 hours ago, TaylorR said:

Well I know that due to the heat carp are more likely to eat particle

In summer i.e. post spawning they'll eat almost anything but I find boilies are at their most effective at that point. In my experience boilie and pellet will out-fish particle at the height of summer. The carp go mental trying to replace the weight/energy/condition they lose during spawning and boilies are pretty much the best bait for doing that imo.

On 31 March 2019 at 22:34, elmoputney said:

If you need to get some particles out a bit further you could always use groundbait and catapult the balls out that should help , but tbh the margins can be great for setting lovely little traps in the summer, and you can get usually Bait far enough with a catapult i use mine more than my spod tbh good luck 

On Layer Pits near Colchester the favoured method to catch loads of fish was spodding massive amounts of hemp, (in cases I know some anglers had a water tank in the back of the vehicle full of hemp), then CAPS chose to ban loose feeding hemp and spodding. In order to beat it hemp was mixed with Vitalin and balled in via catapult, it still worked. The plain hemp ban was lifted and anglers went back to spodding hemp to catch.

It is possible to get Vitalin groundbait balls up to 100metres or so with the right catapult, and Vitalin is a good binding groundbait for many many extras, from breadcrumb, pellets, boilies and particles.

On Ardleigh I used to spod Vitalin, mixed with boilies and particles, and fish it Method style, moulded around my lead. It is not just a small fish method as I was catching fish to over 20lb.

Strangely enough I stopped doing that when I moved on from Ardleigh, possibly or probably because of water rules, all free bait had to be put in with PVA.

I was looking at vitalin the other day I always thought it made a good cheap groundbait mix that worked, seems a little more pricey nowadays thiugh

I think the method is one I wouldn't mind trying again I used to get on well with it and it seems like something that's probably overlooked these days, 

19 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I was looking at vitalin the other day I always thought it made a good cheap groundbait mix that worked, seems a little more pricey nowadays thiugh

I think the method is one I wouldn't mind trying again I used to get on well with it and it seems like something that's probably overlooked these days, 

The cheapest place to buy it is from Vitalin direct, but it is over £60 is carriage free. https://www.vitalinpetfood.co.uk/store/item/original

Pets-at-home is a £ more, but is usually in stock in store.

49 minutes ago, yonny said:

Not a chance for me fella.

What kind of catty?

Drennan Long Range Groundbait catty, with the elastic shortened slightly.

It is almost the same as the boiliepult, but with a hard ball pouch. You are firing out balls around the size of a tangerine.

Incidentally, the Drennan Boiliepult also gets maximum distance after the elastic is shortened

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, TaylorR said:

Also roughly how much bait should I be putting out per rod?

This is dependant on fish activity of course, so lets just say they're feeding.

I'm thinking of doing a few day sessions when I have the time.

Also depends on the type of water you’re fishing. For me pva mesh of 3 whole and 1 halved boilie. That’s it. Most places see kilo after kilo of bait. Less is more.