Spod/marker rod

So once again I’m posting in the UK forum with a USA carp question, but the us forums aren’t nearly as frequented so I figured I’d come here for a fast better answer. So I just recently ordered two 10 foot fox warrior s rods and I was going to get a marker float and maybe a spomb. Now I’ve heard you need a marker and spod rof for fishing with them. I see the spod as the bait can be quite heavy, but what about a marker, it’ll be used with the same lead weight as my normal fishing, do I still need another rod? Also I didn’t go 12’ since I’m relatively small 5’ 8” so the 10 foots feel a lot better to me!

Edited by alake223_05

Using a marker float you will find braided mainline gives better feeling, so if you are using mono on your fishing rods, then you will likely need a separate rod for the marker.

If you are using braid for fishing, then all is ok.

The thing I will say, use a mono leader (length of line between mainline and hooklink trace) if you are fishing with braid, braid can seriously cut fish up should they get tangled up in it.

Amnesia makes a good leader.

I use the same rod for marker and spod/spombing.

https://www.carpfeed.com/fishing-advice/how-to/carp-hack-the-two-loop-trick

Tying this knot makes it easy to switch between the two without have to reconfigure every time. I also use some sea fishing size American Clips to attach the spod/spomb as it makes it easier than fiddling around with the smaller diameters of the baiting devices.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys...last time i was out i used my spod rod for 1st time n wasnt really keen the way spod was attached...basically spomb was attached using a palomar knot straight through...

Would this be ok ??? but doesn't state what knot would be suitable.

Screenshot_20190403-170517_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1db897adcd62b69419cb411a5cbd14c8.jpg

11 minutes ago, commonly said:

What mainline you using Highy? 

I use 20 lb whiplash braid, casts lovely

Daiwa Black widow G50 spod rod and Sonik Vader X spod reel with 30lb..banana braid loaded.

Screenshot_20190403-200552_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9b1da941059c97f8a0a80223e6f7ba77.jpg

But may change the end Fox Spod to an actual Spomb with the float also...just the attachment arrangement i want properly...probably do the 2 loop knot with a tail rubber of knot and link...with about 2-3 foot rig tubing as protection.

Edited by Highy
30lb..

I use 30lb straight through with no bother i dont tend to cast that far though, the loop knot will be progression though will be handy for a quick change between spod and marker,

I quite like the look of the TFG air bomb or the dot spod by Nash the dot spod looks to retrieve better than the spomb haven't tried them yet I still have a Gardner pocket rocket spod 😬

2 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I use 30lb straight through with no bother i dont tend to cast that far though, the loop knot will be progression though will be handy for a quick change between spod and marker,

I quite like the look of the TFG air bomb or the dot spod by Nash the dot spod looks to retrieve better than the spomb haven't tried them yet I still have a Gardner pocket rocket spod 😬

Most i went / castibg too will be about 50yrds...only got the Fox Impact spod...but will be investing in a actual Spomb n floater tail..

10 minutes ago, yonny said:

That's what I do. Less hassle then leaders etc imo.

👍👍👍

9 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

The air bomb serves a purpose but is no good for distance.

The dot is pukka for heavier baits but useless for light baits (pellet, maggot etc).

The fox impact spod is decent now they sorted out the issues with the pin/hinge.

The original spomb is still the best all-rounder.

Imo.

16 minutes ago, yonny said:

The air bomb serves a purpose but is no good for distance.

The dot is pukka for heavier baits but useless for light baits (pellet, maggot etc).

The fox impact spod is decent now they sorted out the issues with the pin/hinge.

The original spomb is still the best all-rounder.

Imo.

Thanks for the review on those might have to start with a spomb and see how i get on with it, I like using pellets so dot spod might not be the one for me, I do quite like the way the air bomb looks to work but its probably not as simple to use as the spomb, I am only using the one spod/marker rod so clipping up spomb to the same as the marker should be perfectly fine for getting bait out on the spot 

Cheers 

I've found the large one casts better too. 

A tight wad I know got the small one & struggled casting any distance, tangle and not opening. 

55 minutes ago, Highy said:

investing in a actual Spomb n floater tail..

The bit of float foam is genius & should really be an integral part of it.

It'd just sink otherwise if you ever cracked off. Well worth the quid

2 hours ago, commonly said:

I've found the large one casts better too. 

A tight wad I know got the small one & struggled casting any distance, tangle and not opening. 

The bit of float foam is genius & should really be an integral part of it.

It'd just sink otherwise if you ever cracked off. Well worth the quid

They don’t actually sink they just sit in the water.

Try it in the margins although they do go out of sight without the foam.

Edited by snowmanstevo

• 6 months later...
On 03/04/2019 at 20:10, Highy said:

Daiwa Black widow G50 spod rod and Sonik Vader X spod reel with 30lb..banana braid loaded.

Screenshot_20190403-200552_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9b1da941059c97f8a0a80223e6f7ba77.jpg

I am now really REGRETTING selling the spod setup...this is something I am now going to get my teeth into more...

Need to look for another setup now (preferblay SONIK) and distance sticks.

Clipping up...hitting the Spot...BOSH 😂😂