So what's changed then since I've been gone ?

elmoputney

I thought I would see what's changed since I last angled, I've noticed sponsored lakes are on the up round my way there are Nash lakes and a korda embryo lake, neither really appeal I have to say lots less club waters and more syndicated waters all over the place 

All the videos I've watched everyone seems to use 2 poles stuck in the ground and casts out in wraps these days not feet or yards ? 

Bait fashion seems to be krill based or coconut ? Pop ups are still bright , goo was a thing I believe , 

I just bought a camo bucket will I be slaughtered for it eeek, it does seem like nothing and everything has changed since I was last fishing, but one thing I did notice was you don't get a lot with £50 in a tackle shop these days 😬

I am so glad you reminded of the hero in a half Shelly , I stupidly looked at one of his vids on YouTube it was a funny one talks a bit like Joe pascuale in it, you've probably seen it, 

Anyway now he keeps popping up on my you tube feed, so now I get him , 10 stupidist whatevers Cos I onced watch one of those , and lots of home decoration / plumbing, sealant removal vids in my feed 

On 8 February 2019 at 13:29, elmoputney said:

I thought I would see what's changed since I last angled, I've noticed sponsored lakes are on the up round my way there are Nash lakes and a korda embryo lake, neither really appeal I have to say lots less club waters and more syndicated waters all over the place 

All the videos I've watched everyone seems to use 2 poles stuck in the ground and casts out in wraps these days not feet or yards ? 

Bait fashion seems to be krill based or coconut ? Pop ups are still bright , goo was a thing I believe , 

I just bought a camo bucket will I be slaughtered for it eeek, it does seem like nothing and everything has changed since I was last fishing, but one thing I did notice was you don't get a lot with £50 in a tackle shop these days 😬

Sponsored lakes, a way to get loss making lakes to have a bit of secure funding I think in some cases.

While I can use wraps, I still prefer to cast at a marker float and feel the lead down. I feel I can be sure I have the right spot compared to being 'slightly off' with a wrap.

As for bait, while krill is a good bait additive, you can't have a high amount in your base mix as it makes it buoyant, so you need heavier non krill ingredients. In other words, you can't be sure of the percentage of krill in the base mix. Nut and coconut baits are valid, but I honestly feel that meat or fish meals are a better more viable source of protein, in fact my reasoning for my 'basic bait' in your welcome back thread.

Buckets, oh my goodness, mine have come from various kitchens, all plain green with the food ingredient label taken off, or one camouflaged one that was so well camouflaged, someone left it on the bank in the swim...😖😆😆😉

On 08/02/2019 at 13:29, elmoputney said:

I've noticed sponsored lakes are on the up round my way there are Nash lakes and a korda embryo lake, neither really appeal I have to say lots less club waters and more syndicated waters all over the place 

The Embryo lakes are run very well indeed, don't be fooled.  Better than a lot of of private syndis I've come across. You could do a lot worse mate.

I have started listening to the Carp fishing podcast this week I think you guys may enjoy it if you haven't listened, in one of those they have a chat about what's changed in the scene, very Interesting listen 

Another couple of things I've noticed that are new FISH SPY I can't work out if I think it's a great idea or if it feels like cheating a bit ? I could definitely use one and learn from it I think, and at least you have to cast it, but for me it's like bait boat revisited ? I can see the pros and cons but ultimately it's a luxury fishing item 

I haven't really looked into the Sponsored lakes thing btw and don't know much about it , and I agree it is good they are putting something back to the sport, but is this more like how football has gone the Emirates rather than Highbury, king power , Etihad stadium 

My point being soon will we all be fishing at Nash lakes , or turbowanger lakes or korda or something similar rather than yately ,redmire , wraysbury that i grew up reading about 

10 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I have started listening to the Carp fishing podcast this week I think you guys may enjoy it if you haven't listened, in one of those they have a chat about what's changed in the scene, very Interesting listen 

Another couple of things I've noticed that are new FISH SPY I can't work out if I think it's a great idea or if it feels like cheating a bit ? I could definitely use one and learn from it I think, and at least you have to cast it, but for me it's like bait boat revisited ? I can see the pros and cons but ultimately it's a luxury fishing item 

I haven't really looked into the Sponsored lakes thing btw and don't know much about it , and I agree it is good they are putting something back to the sport, but is this more like how football has gone the Emirates rather than Highbury, king power , Etihad stadium 

My point being soon will we all be fishing at Nash lakes , or turbowanger lakes or korda or something similar rather than yately ,redmire , wraysbury that i grew up reading about 

Talking of Redmire, it has just been desilted and had the koi looking carp taken out.

Sadly the Halls Angling, Leisure Sports are no more. Most of those lakes were sold on and have become something different, although a few are still under syndicate or season ticket banner. There were a few that were under the radar as well when Leisure Sport was broken up! 

Korda have the Embryo lakes, basically buying lakes and putting full otter fencing then restocking or protecting the stock.

I think your gripe as it were is the instant big fish lake. Growing on waters with forgotten stock seem to have gone.

I guess otters are a thing that has changed since I was away as well and also something I have been sort of considering but without really knowing too much, I drove through earith and down the lakes the other week and had a chat to the guys who were putting it up at ashmire, but should you fish somewhere that hasn't got them now ? It's all a bit overwhelming I'm not gonna lie , I feel I have a lot of waters I would want to fish round here some haven't got it, could I be wasting my very limited bank time ? 

Where I live fella & from personal experience of draining a lake down just a month of so back , If you have otters in your area then your fishing will be tough going unless it's fenced . Even the few fish we had left were damaged , absolutely no big fish left . Have a look at the recent  thread "favourite captures" .... as we get side tracked on there on the subject.  

Just started having a read through some of the posts on here very emotive stuff, it's not something I think I can form an opinion on instantly  really other than time is limited for me and probably due to being in East Anglia there is a huge chance they have already got into most lakes in the area, so probably wisest to look at places that have been protected or are looking to be for now 

8 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Just started having a read through some of the posts on here very emotive stuff, it's not something I think I can form an opinion on instantly  really other than time is limited for me and probably due to being in East Anglia there is a huge chance they have already got into most lakes in the area, so probably wisest to look at places that have been protected or are looking to be for now 

I know Earith Marina a few years ago had an otter and a seal showing very visibly in the daytime, right by the bridge where the fen drain comes into the Great Ouse, so I worry for Earith Carp lakes as that wasn't all fenced with a footpath running right through between the two syndicates on either side.

A few years ago in Chillfactors area I had membership of a couple of lakes just so I could bivvy up and watch the big airshow at Fairford. Sadly we learnt that otters had cleared most of the stock of carp, even the average size of the remaining tench had dropped as the bigger fish were munched.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I know Earith Marina a few years ago had an otter and a seal showing very visibly in the daytime, right by the bridge where the fen drain comes into the Great Ouse, so I worry for Earith Carp lakes as that wasn't all fenced with a footpath running right through between the two syndicates on either side.

A few years ago in Chillfactors area I had membership of a couple of lakes just so I could bivvy up and watch the big airshow at Fairford. Sadly we learnt that otters had cleared most

I've been visiting earith a bit lately carp lakes gates are usually open for all and sundry to visit, I also got the impression that most were otter fencing apart from ECL up that way 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking into rigs this week 360,Ronnie rigs seem new and I've also never used a chod rig , that's led me to wonder if my old rigs will still cut the mustard ? I've started thinking I may need to have a play and fine tune my end game somewhat 

I shall be looking into this a little more I think, 

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I've been looking into rigs this week 360,Ronnie rigs seem new and I've also never used a chod rig , that's led me to wonder if my old rigs will still cut the mustard ? I've started thinking I may need to have a play and fine tune my end game somewhat 

I shall be looking into this a little more I think, 

What works then will work now😉

Rigs are something else that have become fashionable. 

Ronnie's down to media and the Chod because it became almost a 'chuck it anywhere' set up, it can be fished over almost any lakebed.

I still catch on the same rigs I was fishing in 2008.

11 hours ago, Tree123 said:

Personally I think ronnie is a bit of a sheep rig everyone using it as  it's the videos and in articles

I would probs have agreed with you 18-24 months ago. I did have a play when the rig first hit the headlines but ditched it pretty quickly after some dodgy hook holds. Last year I had another play with bigger hooks (2's and 4's) to suit a particular spot I found and I'm now sold. Imo, if it's set up well, the Ronnie is right up there with the hinge for mechanics and consistency in hook holds. A very, very good rig in the right situation.

I don't use chods a lot, but they should always have a place in anyone's angling imo. There is nothing else as effective for when you see a fish show in an area you're not familiar with. Fact.

I did have a look at some rig vids on the tube last week, I found a Terry hearn bottom bait rig, that I think I will adopt seems to turn nicely and is fairly simple to tie, just need to settle on an effective wafter and pop up rig now, the lakes I am joining are all quite low stock so I need my rigs to be working when the chance arrives, 

1 hour ago, yonny said:

I would probs have agreed with you 18-24 months ago. I did have a play when the rig first hit the headlines but ditched it pretty quickly after some dodgy hook holds. Last year I had another play with bigger hooks (2's and 4's) to suit a particular spot I found and I'm now sold. Imo, if it's set up well, the Ronnie is right up there with the hinge for mechanics and consistency in hook holds. A very, very good rig in the right situation.

I don't use chods a lot, but they should always have a place in anyone's angling imo. There is nothing else as effective for when you see a fish show in an area you're not familiar with. Fact.

Chods and stiff ds are personally  all I use now.  Mainy because there so simple to tie and it take very few   componets  to do it .   But once I've used the  last so my live system I'm gonna  just use tigers hemp and maize ( need to save up and get my sorted now really)  so I think 99% of my fishing will just be  helicopters with balanced tigers on stiff ds  but we have different ways so approaching stuff and though patterns 

Edited by Tree123

I ordered 20kg of monster mix from monster particles last night thanks to your post about them tree123, the half price sale is still on, 

I think chods may be a good thing for me to try tbh and actually a hinged stiff rig would probably be my other choice for a pop up ? Are bait screws as good as they seem ? I quite fancy using those for ease