Hello again all it's been a while

a big mink has been sighted there Sunday so that may the cause of the mussels, 

I've been chatting to premier baits Tony a bit via electronic mail this week , he has steered me towards the matrix , I've also been advised to keep it simple :)

Only hookbaits to be glugged and no other tweaking for now I must sit on thy hands until confident and not meddle, so now have boilies ,particles and pellets sorted, 

This morning I've cleared out my tackle box put all my rig items into my old rig and bits pouch, I am streamlining and lightening, I am going to have a pop up sized tub for spare leads in my bag and no more, working towards light and simple, 

I streamlined my gear a couple of seasons ago, it is liberating. I mostly go on my mountain bike for day sessions. single rod, net, mat and a medium sized ruck sack and a bum bag is all i need don't even take a chair most times if i sit i'll use a foam cushion that fits into my bag easily carp fishing can be cheap and easy! 

Cheers guys I quite like the look of those pros waders I might get some, they are still a little way down the list of things I need though, I am trying into lighten up but it seems full of dilemmas, the viper is too cumbersome for overnighters , so I need a brolly , do I need 10ft rods hmm  do I need a barrow to get about the rough terrain quicker and easier, do i need new bite alarms(no ) would I like some  (yes ) the list goes on and on unfortunately the budget doesnt :)

I've just paid for my st Ives ticket and ordered 10kg of matrix plus some pop ups and wafters, so at least I am fishing this year, 

It seems beanie mats are now not in favour and it's all about the carp cradle ? My unhooking mat/ sling and possibly net all need replacing really, anyway guess that's a priority 

What's a good lightweight cradle ? That doesn't cost the earth I don't want to release much more than £40 for an ornament :)

13 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

What's a good lightweight cradle ? That doesn't cost the earth I don't want to release much more than £40 for an ornament :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/NGT-Pop-up-Cradle-Scales-60lb-Carp-Fishing-Landing-Unhooking-Mat-Case/14014685841?iid=382604919763&chn=ps

It's NGT's rip-off of the Fox EasyMat which is a decent lightweight mat with sides.

14 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

st Ives

Great complex. Which lake are you looking at mate?

right I have got 1 or maybe 2 goes left at Vermuyden in the hope of catching one before I move onto St Ives for what will possibly become a tough challenge for the next 12 months to say I want to get a fish on the bank is an Understatement, I am now armed with the Matrix and some new rig bits, its looking like the weather is on the improve and hopefully this will get the fish on the feed, My next go a short session Monday betwixt the school runs, gonna test the matrix out smells good and I think I am more confident in the bait than I have been, definitely the right decision to lean towards ready made bait I think, got some Pop ups and Wafters for the hook just going to use those and a few loose fed boilies and pellets in bags to prime the spots, 

now all I need to do is Find the fish,pick the right location and not fish like a bell end  :)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Well tonight I shall be mainly sorting my tackle out, defrosting bait and getting ready for my first session at St ives, I am quite excited and doing an overnighter first one of those since what feels like forever cant wait 

Enjoy and good luck mate 👍 

Edited by finchey

ABeen a bit of a disaster so far here in the Terry hearn swim, managed to lose my marker float in a battle with an overhanging tree, I didn't get here till 6:30pm cast my rod to the far bank felt snagged so I bought it back then forgot to clip it up and lost my rig to that tree, so I've just dumped them both out with a bag of pellets all night, it's quite weedy and silty so I haven't managed to find any good soots, gonna try zigging today I think once I have warmed up enough 

Oh and the first time I lifted my rod from my new cygnet bobbins the chain snapped and the dumpy head got dumped in the drink not very impressed,

I now need a castable weed rake btw :)