Frozen lakes

Lumeymorris

2 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

Typical plan to go fishing for my birthday and the lakes are frozen over!

How will it effect fishing? As I’ve herd mixed opinions that when the ice goes it can fish really well and also herd that they shut down 

I did well a few years ago on Nazeing when the lakes thawed and meltwater was pouring in from the Lee Relief Channel.

Three 20's and a beautiful double on a 4 day/night session. I arrived, walked round, thought I saw a swirl, so set up on it. Within hours I had a 26lb fish, which I nearly lost. The hook pulled, but it sank into the landing net. One blank day, but next I had a 20, and on the last morning another 26, which as I was getting ready to photograph caught the 16lb

Not every lake is the same though. Some will stay switched off until spring, some you may have to find the fish for a bite or two.

The pics have uploaded in the wrong order, it is black jacket 26 first, blue Adidas 20, followed by DPM smock, 26 and 16

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

15 minutes ago, greekskii said:

A couple winters ago it was in all the mags that an angler had taken apart a tricky water by watching where the iced thawed first, indicating the warmest area of the lake. He then fished it and had numerous big fish. Can't remember his name though. 

I've done something similar but on a commercial.

On Taverham, where a spring entered the lake thawed first, yet in winter was fishless. They just didn't like that area at all, rarely even came into that bay even in summer.

Looks like we may be doing some more waiting for a thaw, -4 in my area last night. I walked back from my Dads after going round to see him, and that felt cold.