Spomb stick or catty?

Tree123

3 hours ago, yonny said:

You see all of these will work on their day but a good angler knows when to use them. A good angler has all of the above up their sleeve and uses them when suitable to make the most of the situation in front of them.

Those that write off heavy baiting are sacrificing bites in certain situations. Lots of bites. That's a fact imo.

Similarly, heavy baiting in the wrong situation will kill it stone dead.

This is true...   But if srill rather  carry a stick and not use it then a bucket of spod mix  and spod and spombs. 

In fact I've used my spod rod of little I'm getting rid of it as I've used it once in the last 18 months

I've be spirting round the lakes for the rest of the season with just 3 rods instead of my normal  4 or 5. 

18 minutes ago, Tree123 said:

This is true...   But if srill rather  carry a stick and not use it then a bucket of spod mix  and spod and spombs. 

Spodding is my least favourite method in practise but it's probably the method I use the most. The water I've been fishing really requires it for best results.

With all the tools of bait delivery at hand it is easy to become confused as to their choice... we all have our favourite methods of bait delivery based on experience and results...

It's a case of each to his own... one thing I have noticed is that the guys (and gals)  who are on syndicate waters with limited memberships tend to go with the long term baiting campaigns... whether big beds, or little and often... Folks who fish heavily fished club or commercial waters tend to go for a lighter approach as there is no real knowledge of what has gone into the water and fish for a bite at a time....

Whatever your personal choice, we can all learn a thing or two about each others  approaches...

29 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Always carry... more bait than I imagine I will use just coz you never know.

Likewise, you only need to run out of bait half way through the session of a lifetime once to learn that lesson lol.

30 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

My best sessions ever have all come to mass baiting tactics

Same here mate.

41 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Always carry the catty, stick and spomb and more bait than I imagine I will use just coz you never know.

My best sessions ever have all come to mass baiting tactics, here and abroad although its not always the one, sometimes however it is absolutely the way forward.

11 minutes ago, yonny said:

Same here mate

Same for me. From Taverham, Thwaite, Earith, Brackens at Nazeing all have produced best over plenty of bait for me.

The plenty of bait approach does not always produce on day one, but over the session it comes on. Saying that, on Taverham, Brackens and even Ardleigh I have had fish within hours or even minutes of the 'fishing' cast going over the top of the bait.

I mentioned in the past about having the 'two tone' at 28 from Brackens within 10 minutes of casting a load of BIG stringers in. That session I also had 3 other 20's after it from the same spot, each time casting another few of 'those' things onto the same gravel bar. 

21 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

With all the tools of bait delivery at hand it is easy to become confused as to their choice... we all have our favourite methods of bait delivery based on experience and results...

It's a case of each to his own... one thing I have noticed is that the guys (and gals)  who are on syndicate waters with limited memberships tend to go with the long term baiting campaigns... whether big beds, or little and often... Folks who fish heavily fished club or commercial waters tend to go for a lighter approach as there is no real knowledge of what has gone into the water and fish for a bite at a time....

Whatever your personal choice, we can all learn a thing or two about each others  approaches...

If I fished a day ticket commercial like Suffolk Water Park, Orchid etc, I would start off by holding back and going stringer or single bait until I knew what the fish wanted. Putting loads of fresh bait in you could be blowing your chances before you start fishing.

I always carry more bait than I need, yet rarely use a fraction of it.. keeping baiting light (on the waters I fish) pays off,  yet  baiting heavy tends to put fish off... maybe its a short term effect and I need to be on the water longer to take advantage of the heavier baiting stategy.

But given that my time on the water is limited the lighter,  softly softly approach gets results on shorter sessions...

A lot of folk will rock up to their local commie set up 3 rods, lob them out on 3 lines or features... (usually Island, open water, and a margin chuck) then put 30 odd baits around their hookers... Or... ....they'll spod the granny out of a 20 foot square spot and put all three rods on it

and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... more often the latter... 

I see it all too often, its a "formula" and a lot of anglers do it this way... but having the courage to move away from a "formula" will often pay dividends... keeping an open mind is the key... that and being prepared to make a change to ones approach in a baiting strategy

5 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

A lot of folk will rock up to their local commie set up 3 rods, lob them out on 3 lines or features... (usually Island, open water, and a margin chuck) then put 30 odd baits around their hookers... Or... ....they'll spod the granny out of a 20 foot square spot and put all three rods on it

and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... more often the latter... 

I see it all too often, its a "formula" and a lot of anglers do it this way... but having the courage to move away from a "formula" will often pay dividends... keeping an open mind is the key... that and being prepared to make a change to ones approach in a baiting strategy

That first paragraph sounds like 'The Korda approach'...😖😅😆

Use all the above methods when needed ,but my favourite has to be by hand on a margin spot or spoon . 

@Dannygooner I will have to keep an eye out for the catty you mention as the carp ones are pants these days,  when I was working away earlier in the year forgot to take a catty so had to buy one,  the shop we used only had korda ones & the pouch came off within 5 mins of using it .  I repaired it with cable ties trimmed them back & ended up with the lock part of the tie ripping a big tear in my hand gripping the catty :lol:  didn't have any braid with me as I've used that in the past to stich them back on with to good effect. 

1 hour ago, chillfactor said:

Use all the above methods when needed ,but my favourite has to be by hand on a margin spot or spoon . 

@Dannygooner I will have to keep an eye out for the catty you mention as the carp ones are pants these days,  when I was working away earlier in the year forgot to take a catty so had to buy one,  the shop we used only had korda ones & the pouch came off within 5 mins of using it .  I repaired it with cable ties trimmed them back & ended up with the lock part of the tie ripping a big tear in my hand gripping the catty :lol:  didn't have any braid with me as I've used that in the past to stich them back on with to good effect. 

Haha!!! When we were in France, I had to do that with the cable ties on the one I bought too!!! 

Most of of my fish this year have come to a heavily baited spot with all three rods on it. Starting off with 5kg of boilie tipped tight to a spot off the boat. That’s my favourite way of static fishing. One of the lads said to me that I could treble my chances of a bite if I fished three different spots with a rod each. 

My reply was along the lines of ... if I think the fish are going to feed on the spot, why would I put rods elsewhere??? I’ve had numerous double tales and quick, second bites whilst fishing with all three, or at least two rods on ‘the spot’! So in effect, I am trebling my chances by fishing three tight together, not separated. 

Having said that, I have also had good hits by fishing singles ‘loosely’ chucked to an area. And bags. And zigs. And a lightly baited spot. And particles only. And bookies only. And a mix of both.

It’s all down to knowing, or guessing, what will give you the best chance on any given day. One trick pony’s are exactly that. Will do well some days but struggle most others, blaming something else as it ‘worked’ last time!

if I had to pick THE favourite way to catch them, it would be stalking them with one rod, close in, watching everything they do. 

2 hours ago, chillfactor said:

I repaired it with cable ties trimmed them back & ended up with the lock part of the tie ripping a big tear in my hand gripping the catty :lol:  didn't have any braid with me as I've used that in the past to stich them back on with to good effect. 

That is why you put the lock part of the cable tie facing up away from your hand.

Drennan Boilie pult with smaller pouch

image.jpg

image.jpg

10 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

if I think the fish are going to feed on the spot, why would I put rods elsewhere???

That.

Some peoples approach is fundamentally flawed for me:

14 hours ago, bluelabel said:

A lot of folk will rock up to their local commie set up 3 rods, lob them out on 3 lines or features... (usually Island, open water, and a margin chuck)

Agree, and this is where this discussion becomes irrelevant. It doesn't matter what baiting tactics one uses if that is the approach one takes.

It doesn't matter whether it's island, open water, margins..... the rod'll not go if there's no carp there. It's just pure luck what happens.

We need to fish (i.e. bait) where the carp are prepared to feed. It can take time to establish where that is, but once you've found it, smash the rods over there, fill it in, and start getting excited!!!

14 hours ago, bluelabel said:

I always carry more bait than I need, yet rarely use a fraction of it.

14 hours ago, Tree123 said:

Tbh I always  leave some in the car. If I need it. But i never  do. 

Pellets are a good one for keeping in the car lads. You can fit kilos and kilos in an airtight bucket and they last all season. A few tins of corn are a must too!

1 hour ago, yonny said:

That.

Some peoples approach is fundamentally flawed for me:

Agree, and this is where this discussion becomes irrelevant. It doesn't matter what baiting tactics one uses if that is the approach one takes.

It doesn't matter whether it's island, open water, margins..... the rod'll not go if there's no carp there. It's just pure luck what happens.

We need to fish (i.e. bait) where the carp are prepared to feed. It can take time to establish where that is, but once you've found it, smash the rods over there, fill it in, and start getting excited!!!

I think that 'pile it in' approach is used by a lot of anglers everywhere, no matter what type of lake they are fishing. Not every angler looks at the situation they are fishing in, it seems many follow the media advertised method rather than think about how a lake needs to be approached.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Pellets are a good one for keeping in the car lads. You can fit kilos and kilos in an airtight bucket and they last all season. A few tins of corn are a must too!

Not a massive pellet fan only really use them in winter like a tiny little bag of 2-3mm or mix  some halibuts  in just before prebaiting when i want to  get a spot clear 

33 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I think that 'pile it in' approach is used by a lot of anglers everywhere, no matter what type of lake they are fishing. Not every angler looks at the situation they are fishing in, it seems many follow the media advertised method rather than think about how a lake needs to be approached.

This is one of the hardest things to work out. I have gone to a venue, Started with just bags, introducing a few baits every so often and having no joy, got to a point where im about to get my head down and thought, Sod it, i will give it 10 spombs.....then got bites whilst spodding or shortly after.

Sometimes the little and often approach can cost u fish, Its really hard to work out how much u should be putting in, knowledge of the lake and the stock help. On my current venue is to start with solid bags, If nothing happens for an hour or so, Give them ten spods, then play it by ear, If i can hear jumping, I would probably top up and redo the bags after a few hours. My sessions are short so i have to force the issue a little, I know they respond to the sound of the spod, I know they move around in decent groups. If i get one, 3 spods straight back over the top, stay active, Keep catching.

On my last venue, no spod, solid bags, 100 boilies in the stick over each rod....pray.

1 hour ago, Tree123 said:

Not a massive pellet fan only really use them in winter like a tiny little bag of 2-3mm

I actually back off on pellet in winter. Nowhere near as effective as in summer due to the high oil content in cold water, depending on what type you use obviously.

13 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

Was it you that posted a link to that 25kg bags of pellet cheap. I can't seem to find it anywhere now? Resend if possible please. How long does pellet keep? What's their shelf life? Thanks 

It was me yes mate, see below. As long as you keep them dry and cool, sealed as best you can, they'll be ok for up to a year mate.

https://www.fishingbaitworld.co.uk/skretting-elite-trout-pellets-85mm-25kg.ir

I use coarse/carp pellet rather than the high oil halibut types and even then only a small handful at a time. (4+6+8mm to get em grubbing around)

Because I can usually only manage  short sessions I've tried to be less formulaic in my approach over the last year, different baits (no boilies)

No heavy baiting, (just a few morsels on key spots)

More mobile (1 or sometimes 2 rods and no longer than an hour or so in each swim)

Being less blatant (keeping myself out of view from the water & different rigs, sometimes even freelining and hooked baits rather than hair rigged)

My old mentor Norman Frere once said to me "one cast in the right spot is worth a thousand in the wrong uns"

I still carry my catty, throwing stick and PVA & more rarely, my spod/spomb rod, but... I'm too busy trying to find where that "Right Spot" is to worry about em🤣🤣😛   

16 hours ago, bluelabel said:

I use coarse/carp pellet rather than the high oil halibut types and even then only a small handful at a time. (4+6+8mm to get em grubbing around)

Because I can usually only manage  short sessions I've tried to be less formulaic in my approach over the last year, different baits (no boilies)

No heavy baiting, (just a few morsels on key spots)

More mobile (1 or sometimes 2 rods and no longer than an hour or so in each swim)

Being less blatant (keeping myself out of view from the water & different rigs, sometimes even freelining and hooked baits rather than hair rigged)

My old mentor Norman Frere once said to me "one cast in the right spot is worth a thousand in the wrong uns"

I still carry my catty, throwing stick and PVA & more rarely, my spod/spomb rod, but... I'm too busy trying to find where that "Right Spot" is to worry about em🤣🤣😛   

I think.shorter session make you work harder imo  because it makes you work  rather then boring one out. Most 9f my trips  one nighters  now as I have a Mrs  and a house to do up and much prefer it  compared  to when i used to do 3 nights. As it so much less hassle to organise myself and mean I do lighter so can be more mobile