Pre bait costs

11 minutes ago, oscsha said:

On a personal point of view I'm not sure I would start a prebaiting campaign on the lead up to colder weather coming when the fish will slow right down in both movement and feeding.

You can get away with it on the river imo buddy. They can't slow down due to flow so they must keep feeding.

I think some of it will depend on the river , the old winter leagues on rivers would be very very hard going with lots of blanks . I know they weren't fishing for carp but I would still be wary of putting to much feed in . Saying that I have caught Tench from a river with snow on the ground .

4 hours ago, Salfordcarl said:

As per my other thread, starting a bash on the river in a likely looking spot. 

What do you spend on prebait. I’ve found whole maze for 63p a kg raw. 

Is this a good starting point for the campaign adding a few tigers and boilies latter on. 

Hi Salfordcarl...as per your name..u from Salford ?? 

Im only down road Wigan...what river you thinking of ??

5 hours ago, oscsha said:

As Yonny says pellets , plus no prep needed . On a personal point of view I'm not sure I would start a prebaiting campaign on the lead up to colder weather coming when the fish will slow right down in both movement and feeding.

I was going to say .... sounds like a job for early spring though .

as there are massive shoals of bream in the trent im steering clear of pellet and sticking to the same methods as I do in lakes and using boilies.

the lake im fishing atm has large shoals of bream and ive not had a single 1 all year and with the carp stocks being lowing in the river I haven't got to put as much bait in

Fish are cold blooded so will slow down as the temperature drops , yes river fish may be more active then lake fish but they will not be as active  in the colder weather . This could of course work to your advantage as they may be holding in a smaller area of the river rather than roaming around as much .

Good luck in what you decide but have a think about fish behavior in various  water temperatures  .

My main reason for not prebaiting through winter was this was always the flood times when I fished the rivers , absolute waste of time & money on the rivers I fished . Admittedly winters don't seem so wet these days & the floods seem more spread out across the year but when I was hitting the rivers hard that wasn't the case .

Still personally think a good run of flood water in winter & a bit of colour is far more effective especially  if the rivers been low & clear & that will turn the big fish on more than any prebait from my experience & definitely somethi g to keep an eye out for if you want a winter banger ;-)

Yeah Thanks all for the input. 

Im still a little undecided what to do. I’ve lost my mojo for fishing lately. I haven’t been out in a couple of months. 

I need something to spark me back up. I’m booked on a lake in 2 weeks for a bit of a social with a mate so we’ll see how that goes. 

Edited by Salfordcarl