Rig foam

Daveyyyyyyyyyyyy

21 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Support your local tackle shop - hardly breaking the bank at £2.99 👍

Screenshot_20180828-185153.png

£2.99 + £5 in fuel to get their only to be treated like you have some nasty disease by a fat ugly git with a shop full of hangers on? couldn't care less if it went (.)(.) up tomorrow bud.

9 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

You should be😉

as above Nick, postman brings mine and he ALWAYS has a smile and a good morning :lol::lol:

15 minutes ago, cyborx said:

£2.99 + £5 in fuel to get their only to be treated like you have some nasty disease by a fat ugly git with a shop full of hangers on? couldn't care less if it went (.)(.) up tomorrow bud.

as above Nick, postman brings mine and he ALWAYS has a smile and a good morning :lol::lol:

Do you go to the same tackle shop as me?.

Couldn't agree more.

My local is a diamond, I try to get most of my smaller bits off him... I don't mind paying a bit extra for a bag of Gardner nuggets that he sells...£5 lasts me a season... Proper Alladins cave, too.... And you get treated like a person and not just an order number...…. I've never had to take / send anything back. Which is more than I can say for most on-line places...…. I'll be popping in tomorrow for a top up on a few bits...….. Sorry to hear about the way your local is run @cyborx , he doesn't deserve you custom by the sounds.

Mines ok too, the guy who runs it always says hello as you walk in, even if he is taking to someone else, they have a carp section as well as all the match guys stuff , there is not a massive amount but most of the time I can find what I'm looking for ... And quite often I end up with something I didn't know I wanted .... I'm still looking for that perfect lead ......

Edited by cloud9
why not ?

11 hours ago, B.C. said:

My local is a diamond, I try to get most of my smaller bits off him... I don't mind paying a bit extra for a bag of Gardner nuggets that he sells...£5 lasts me a season... Proper Alladins cave, too.... And you get treated like a person and not just an order number...…. I've never had to take / send anything back. Which is more than I can say for most on-line places...…. I'll be popping in tomorrow for a top up on a few bits...….. Sorry to hear about the way your local is run @cyborx , he doesn't deserve you custom by the sounds.

Went into our local tackle shop to buy some bits and pieces. All the guy kept trying to do was sell me some Sonik rods. I didn't want any Sonik rods!! But I was in the market for a new brolly. Had made my mind up I wanted a Wychwood Solace, asked him how much he could do one for. He checked his price list, told me and I was happy to order. It was a little bit more expensive than I could buy it for online but I felt like I wanted to support him, and if I had any problems I could go back to him. "Don't worry" he said, "the Wychwood rep is around next week, I'll order you one up". Left it a bit more than a week, popped in to see if he had it, he told me it should be here in a couple more days. Popped back a week later, it still hadn't arrived. "Give me a call when it comes in" I said, "I'll pop straight round and pick it up".
I never did hear back from him, and his shop has closed down now. Wonder why?????

I used to use rig foam religiously but stopped a year or 2 ago. I'm very, very particular about hitting the right spot, hitting the clip perfectly, and getting the right drop - this means casting as many times as it takes to get it absolutely spot on. It used to wind me up reloading the rig with foam time and time again when it was taking several casts to get the right one. I ended up thinking that I was wasting my time i.e. if I'm recasting until it's 100% perfect anyway, there's no need for the foam. Even in heavy weed I don't bother now, I just cast again and again until I'm convinced my presentation can be no better.

Since I stopped using foam I cannot say I've noticed any difference to my catch rate.

On 31/08/2018 at 08:08, yonny said:

I used to use rig foam religiously but stopped a year or 2 ago. I'm very, very particular about hitting the right spot, hitting the clip perfectly, and getting the right drop - this means casting as many times as it takes to get it absolutely spot on. It used to wind me up reloading the rig with foam time and time again when it was taking several casts to get the right one. I ended up thinking that I was wasting my time i.e. if I'm recasting until it's 100% perfect anyway, there's no need for the foam. Even in heavy weed I don't bother now, I just cast again and again until I'm convinced my presentation can be no better.

Since I stopped using foam I cannot say I've noticed any difference to my catch rate.

I use quite long hairs so I'd be worried about the bait being wrapped around the hook or some sort of tangle .

It's a small stick for me every time.

I have at least 4 or 5 made up in case of miscasting when casting to a feature.

• 3 weeks later...
On 30 August 2018 at 18:06, B.C. said:

I have a couple of locals, Birds, Breakaway and Markhams.

To be honest, Markhams has the nicest attitude, but is the smallest shop with the least stock, however it is the one I enjoy visiting most.

Birds, massive amount of stock, loads of choice, but only one decent member of staff who I enjoy talking to. Breakaway, hmmm, I do dislike ignorant people, one of theirs is very, so I do minimal shopping there, unless I have to! Saying that, the deadbait freezer is probably the best stocked.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I have a couple of locals, Birds, Breakaway and Markhams.

To be honest, Markhams has the nicest attitude, but is the smallest shop with the least stock, however it is the one I enjoy visiting most.

Birds, massive amount of stock, loads of choice, but only one decent member of staff who I enjoy talking to. Breakaway, hmmm, I do dislike ignorant people, one of theirs is very, so I do minimal shopping there, unless I have to! Saying that, the deadbait freezer is probably the best stocked.

Did a quick visit to mine today, would you believe it, the one thing I needed , foam nuggets, were out of stock lol...……. But the Alladins cave struck rich again, was looking for mono leader material-,  from the darkest recesses after some digging around, out comes a spool of Sundridge Sylcast 40lb pink mono shock leader, who remembers that stuff lol...…? 2 quid, that'll do, only need a couple of rod lengths off a 50yd spool, may need a steam/stretch.. Peeled off the first 10yrds, the spool looks and feels mint, if a bit coiled, should straighten out ok..  😃

I did have a large carrier bag of foam nuggets as it is often used as packing material.

I have checked dissolve time in the past of how it breaks down so I do know how it should be ok. One thing I will say with rig foam, it preferably don't hook it. Fold it around the hook/hair and lick and stick it. That way it should come free of the hook. Hooking it some takes 12 hours to dissolve.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I did have a large carrier bag of foam nuggets as it is often used as packing material.

I have checked dissolve time in the past of how it breaks down so I do know how it should be ok. One thing I will say with rig foam, it preferably don't hook it. Fold it around the hook/hair and lick and stick it. That way it should come free of the hook. Hooking it some takes 12 hours to dissolve.

It depends how you hook it,Nick 😉

30 seconds and it pops to the top 😬

On 30/08/2018 at 18:06, B.C. said:

My local is a diamond, Sorry to hear about the way your local is run @cyborx , he doesn't deserve you custom by the sounds.

he doesn't BC, honestly tho he is very well stocked, on the rare occasion that i have found myself in the area and needing bits i will pop in and put up with the indolence just for the sake of expediency as if i want it he has it in stock, but a little pet shop near me thats run by an old lady who has just one display case full of dusty wagglers mixed in with a selection of harlesley bombs and Kamasan match hooks with 50p price tags on em gets a lot of my trade as she will order anything i need and i have to give her a tip to up her margin to something near :lol::lol:

all the big stuff comes courtesy of DHL etc, as it should be.