Breakfast cereal in groundbait

A few weeks ago my mother was throwing out a box of breakfast cereal as no one would eat it, i don't recall which it was but it was something like rice crispies. This got me thinking, "I'm sure the carp would eat it,its a shame to waste it" has anyone ever blended breakfast cereal to use in groundbait? If its a sugary cereal would this be bad for the carp?

Cheers

Jonesy

• 11 years later...

I'm new to carp fishing and have just started fishing at a carp lake where I was told by the locals that the carp go crazy for Kellogs Krave (Aldi's brandname is Kraze). I'm using it with a band hook on a pop-up rig and I can't stop catching, one fish even jumped out of the water to grab the bait as I was about to cast!. Is this normal?

Welcome to the forum. No it’s not unusual for fish to take “different” baits. It’s been well documented over the years of carp being caught on a variety of baits. What I will say about Krave is they go soft quite quick,I know this as there my young sons favourite and if he leaves a few they go mushy quite quick.

My favourite change bait is liquorice......

they catch allsorts.

I’ll get my coat ....... 🙄🙄😬

• 2 years later...

Hello to all fellow anglers,

I am relatively new to Carp fishing, but I have found myself becoming more and more interested in this area of angling. There are few drawbacks to pursuing larger fish in my opinion, with one exception being the constant trips to the bait shop to replenish my stocks of ground bait and hook bait. It was for this reason that I decided to experiment with making cheap, effective, safe, and easily produced baits for my fishing outings. After some mixed results , I have discovered both ground bait, and hook bait recipes that have not failed to catch fish to 19 pounds on every session that I have used them. Please don't think that I am being egotistical, that is not my intention at all, I am merely passing on these recipes incase anyone would like to try them. It might be argued that there is nothing new about the baits that I use, and I would not be in a position to contest that, as I mentioned, I am something of a beginner when it comes to Carp fishing. 

For the ground bait I use one box of the cheapest corn flakes that I can find, and the same size box of bran flakes. I also use ten ginger biscuits, again the cheapest that I can find.These ingredients are then blitzed in my food processor until they become a coarse powder. The ground bait is then mixed with water, as any other ground bait is. It is worth mentioning that if the water is not fully absorbed, then particles of the corn flakes will come to the surface, bringing the carp with them! I have watched as many as 8 fish pick off these morsels! The ground bait for a full day's fishing costs me less than £2.00, and is very effective. 

For the hook bait I use one block of supermarket pastry, one small block of mature cheddar (for cheesy bulk, and flavour) , one small block of Red Leicester (for colour, and flavour), and a similar amount of Danish Blue cheese ( for scent , and flavour) . I then thoroughly mix all of the ingredients by hand, until it is not possible to distinguish any one ingredient. I will then have enough hook bait to last 4 to 5 full day's fishing. Although the initial outlay for the ingredients costs about £7.50, the cost per session for my bait is less than £2.00. I generally split the bait into 4 freezer bags, and freeze it. Any defrosted, unused bait can be refrozen.

I don't,  as a novice use complicated rigs when I fish, I simply use a 40 gram weight, which is stopped by a swivel, which is then connected to a home tied hair rig, ( I don't like to spend money on something that I can learn to do on YouTube!)

I hope you all have great fishing sessions with whatever baits and tackle that you choose to use,

Good luck,

Martyn.

Hello both,

You have both mentioned porridge as a bulking ingredient in ground bait, but how do you use it? Do you blitz it to reduce the size of the oats, or just mix it with other ingredients? I would like to experiment with it, but without using tackle shop bought ingredients. I will also need to speak with Colin, who is the owner of Redhill fishery in Monmouth, to make sure that it is something that I could use. I know that he does not allow bread as bait because anglers were using floating crust, which was damaging the fish upon striking. Any tips that you could give regarding a porridge based ground bait would be gratefully appreciated. 

Many thanks   Martyn 

I literally used to just open the bag and pour it into a ground bait bowl, mix it with water (or condensed milk and water) mix it up so it was stodgy enough to mould around a lead or method feeder and turf it out into the pond. Couldn’t be simpler really. In the lake, it would continue to take on water and soften up and break down. Have a look at vitalin too for a cheap effective ground bait. 

Wow! That really is simple, I am going to Redhill on Sunday, so if it is permitted I will definitely be trying it. Thanks so much for the tip, I will post the results on Monday. I will be free lining mature cheddar, so from experience I will either catch all day, or totally blank! Once again,  thanks for your input.

Martyn.