Marker rod uses

Hi all, 

New to the forum and a quick question, I’ve never used a marker rod before and wondered whether they are suitable to use as a main rod. I know they are mostly used for feature finding. Will I experience difficulty in hooking a fish on it?

Hi @Ryder, welcome to the forum.... I quite often use one of my main rods as a marker, so yes, a rod can be used for both functions. Although some marker rods are "stepped up", with a higher test curve than your average 3lb tc rod... This is to accommodate, the sometimes, higher payload of a larger lead , marker float etc..... If it's stepped up to 3.75 tc or above, then you just have to be careful when playing fish closer in, as the rod will be slightly stiffer and may not absorb any lunges from the fish as well as a standard rod. This can lead to hook pulls at the net (everyone's nightmare)……. If you use a stiffer rod with a higher test curve, then balancing things out accordingly, ie, heavier diameter/breaking strain line will help things, but bare in mind that these sort of rods are not really designed for playing fish on...….. So I would say, yes to your question, perhaps as a stop gap, until you can get a rod that is designed for playing fish on...…… BTW, the rod itself will neither help or hinder the actual "hooking" of a fish, that's down to rigs, bait and rig placement...….. Best thing to do, is to get fishing and learn as you go about certain kit..... There are plenty of lads on here that can help you along.... All the best mate.

Thanks BC, it is a 2.75 tc shimano aerocarp, I don’t know if that makes a difference, I’m quite confident on my waters and have a good idea of the features, maybe I’ll keep it for when I go somewhere new and actually use it for its intended purpose

15 minutes ago, Ryder said:

it is a 2.75 tc shimano aerocarp,

It's a fairly soft rod for any marker work, but you could use it at short distance, or do what a lot of lads do, ditch the marker float and just use a bare lead to help find clear spots. But tbh, you can do that with your main rods and clip them up ready to cast...……. I find Winter time is best for a good old marker up. Fewer anglers to disturb and hardly any weed about, giving you a true indication of the contours of the lake bed. Find a drop off or a hump that's in the vicinity of the edge of the weed (once it's up again), usually pretty good areas to fish.

welcome to the forum Ryder ;)

i use a set of 3 fox warriors of which one was sold as a dedicated marker rod, two main at 2.75 Tc and the marker is 3.25 Tc, believe me when i say that marker rod is always used as my distance rod, i can chuck between 75-100 yds with the 2.75s without trying and that is usually about my range for fishing accurately but then when i have set my traps the marker rod gets pub chucked at a distant feature (just for luck ;)) and 150+ is nowt,, saying that it shed an eye ring last weekend as the braid frapped round the eye and i had a loaded spomb on at the time, nearly wrenched the damn rod out of my hands when it locked up :lol::lol:

Edited by cyborx
forgot the welcome init ;)

For years I have a specific Marker rod, albeit my original Marker rod was a North Western 2.5lb carp rod, one of a pair that wasn't nicked.

When we were allowed to use 3 rods at Taverham I put this rod into carp fishing alongside my Armalites (mk.l's).

My Century M1 2.75lb Test curve marker rod, I have kept specifically as a marker rod, mainly because it is the only rod I have that is equipped with braid on the reel. Saying that, after what must be 10years it is getting soft, and I am now struggling to hit 100metres with it. It is probably not helped by the Korda Marker floats needing such a big lead to feel the bottom; 3.5-4oz compared to 3oz maximum with an ESP Mini marker. The Korda float is so big, and buoyant it lifts any lighter lead than that. I have noticed my marker casting distances decrease over the past few years.

I reckon the M1 will get pressed into service as another fishing rod for floaters on the lake for carp with a controller.

Guess that means I'll have to buy a new marker rod😖😱😳😉

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

In the interests of lightning the load, I’ve done away with a separate marker rod completely and only use a dedicated Spod rod if I need to put a large Spomb 100yds+. My regular rod/line combo of Harrison TE specials and 40lb PowerPro allows me to mark up, bait and fish more efficiently.

15 hours ago, Brandond98 said:

they're for markers. I'm just wondering if I'd be okay to us them for catching fish and what they be like if I hooked one.

They'll be awful mate👎

Take it very, very easy if you use them for fishing and hook one👍

Edited by yonny