48 minutes ago, Ginger9991 said:

What are people using to repel them?

You have to be careful with recommendations buddy as different options work for different people (I think it's something to do with blood type). Mozzies absolutely love me so I've tried most of the various solutions available.

First option is deet such as the stuff from Lifesystems (as posted by Viking above). While it's not actually a repellent, it just 'confuses' mozzies, it does work for most people. Deet is bloomin awful stuff though, bleaches your clothes and terrible for the skin.

Then you have the Avon Skin-So-Soft with citronella. It's not actually made as an insect repellent but it works for some people (me included). The SAS used to use this.

There are newer modern solutions available as well such as Incognito which is a completely natural product. A lot of people swear by this but I got eaten alive no matter how much of this I put on.

Then you have mozzy coils, the active ingredient being citronella, same as the Avon stuff. These work ok for me but stink the brolly out something proper.

Basically you need to just try the various options until you find one that works for you then stick with it. No option works for every person (in fact stuff that some people swear by does absolutely nothing for others, hence why recommendations tend to be unreliable).

I use citronella tealights, but they make my nose run like a tap. 

Best spray is jungle formula extreme, not too badly prices on ebay. Works for me in the most part. but they do just find the little bit you've missed (i.e your face) I take disposable gloves with me to make sure I spread it on my face without the possibility of tainting end tackle. I also do the same for suntan lotion, but then maybe they'd like a bit of Hawaiian tropic!

There are a few practical things you can do.

If you have a mozzi mesh? Use it

The majority of mozzi's start coming out as the sun is going down so you won't need to zip up for the majority of the day just the evening onwards.

Lights

Lights, any form of light is a big attractor for bugs, so keep light to a minimum, the use of phones, torches, everything will attract mozzi's at night. 

This includes bivvies that have vents at the back, imagine looking into a dark bivvy and seeing the vents open at the back, again, it's a light source to be attracted too.

I've alway found Avon So Soft to be really good but as yonny suggests, we're all different. 

Take antihistamines with you incase you get bitten, this will at least take away the itching. Plus if you get bitten, cover the bite or clean the bite with antibacterial wipes or gel.

My x missus got bitten years ago on her ankles, she put her feet into the water to keep cool and guess what happened. Yes the bites got infected and she had the go to hospital.

Edited by Gazlaaar

These work for me... The candles will keep them away from your bivvy door...….. The Skin So Soft gets used at night if the mozzies are particularly bad (haven't needed it so far this year)….. The candle are usually enough, but they burn out after a couple of hours...…. 🙂

s-l160044.jpg

s-l50066.jpg

8 minutes ago, B.C. said:

These work for me... The candles will keep them away from your bivvy door...….. The Skin So Soft gets used at night if the mozzies are particularly bad (haven't needed it so far this year)….. The candle are usually enough, but they burn out after a couple of hours...…. 🙂

s-l160044.jpg

s-l50066.jpg

They are the candles I use. Cheap from eBay or the pound shop. 

17 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

I just let them bite me and use anti histamines to stop the itching

Nutter lol....

I have to be really careful they love me so much. I was in Cuba last year and we went exploring the swamps. Despite literally dousing myself in several types of repellent I got bitten thousands of times, so many times I got very ill indeed, I was in bed being sick for 2 days.

Even in the UK I'd not be able to fishing without some kind of repellent. They eat me alive!

20 minutes ago, yonny said:

Don't suppose you'd care to share it?

Sorry, senior moment there. Thermacell. weigh next to nothing, well made and in use ,last hours, days depending on what you need, and with its carry case can be strapped to you self eg ankle or just left near you. They keep everything at bay, I've tested on Scots midge, Mosquito, Sand Fly, Birch Fly etc etc and the closest any came was about 2 metres.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Yes that the type of thing, but mine came in a nifty carry bag that hold spare refills etc and straps direct to you or a bivey pole etc

20180705_172212.jpg