Baiting Pole

2 minutes ago, B.C. said:

TBH, I doubt it will go in a quiver/ rod holdall. And yes, it will be more bulk than a shop bought version.. I was thinking, a couple of bungee loops to fasten it all together and chuck it on the barrow. At the end of the day, it's extra kit, so will take up "some" room, although weight wise, shouldn't be much of a problem on a decent barrow....................

It's a cheap offering that will get someone by and give a few more options on the bank. I can't say that it would be at all better than  a shop bought one, but I've seen one in use and it did the job.

I'm interested as I can stash it in the undergrowth and only bring it out when I need it depending on swim choice...but then again I'll be in a fenced place with no other anglers but if it went walkies, it could be replaced.

On 02/04/2018 at 12:27, greekskii said:

And if you havent BC could you do a picture guide when you do. 

One question. How do you ensure you rig lays out as you would hitting the clip? 

I think this is the same issue as people just dropping rigs from a bait boat on a slack line, not knowing what they landed on or how it landed and thinking that's OK, which it isn't.

A skilled angler like Mr Hearn tightens up before releasing the hopper and feels the lead down and will not leave it if he didn't get a good drop, to me the same applies here, tighten up before turning the spoon over and feel the rig down.  Bait up with the spoon afterwards IF you got a good drop.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

The drain rods are designed for use in water, i am a qualified electrician, conduit, i am not sure, the drain rods have purposely threaded segments, but would they float, Vik has a nice looking read scythe, possible lily cutter, what do you reckon, no carp tax and i have a big set in the shed.

😂🤣 and I’m an ac fitter and use it for it’s designed purpose.....condense drains from the ac unit to the pump (so its 100% safe for water as it has water running through it all day everyday)

we glue it together using couplers......not sure if the couplers would stay together for the use you’re intending without glue but could be worth a shot. 

1 hour ago, carpmachine said:

Food for thought buddy, but that glue means it wont fit in my car, know the stuff, great idea but has its drawbacks, drain rods , dont know, but worth a thought, any way we can beat carp tax is a bonus.

drain rods would be a tad heavy to carry round the pool bud, i know, i was a chimney sweeps lad in another life and carrying them litteraly killed me :lol:

If each end of a hollow pole is plugged with cork or foam, it should be quite buoyant; the drain rods I have will let water in as that is the way they are made (brass fittings, pinned in place); but I haven't tried to float them on water.

Yet!, I might get a chance if I play my cards right :lol:

Conduit will work. Drain pipe is heavier as it needs to be strong. 

If BC doesn’t find the time then come winter I will make something based on BC’s idea, conduit, expanding foam and glued in M/F connectors. 

I’ve realised my ambition to use it where I wanted too was just that, unless I made one 25m+ which just seems unreasonable. Back to the drawing board for that one. 

14 hours ago, greekskii said:

Conduit will work. Drain pipe is heavier as it needs to be strong. 

If BC doesn’t find the time then come winter I will make something based on BC’s idea, conduit, expanding foam and glued in M/F connectors. 

I’ve realised my ambition to use it where I wanted too was just that, unless I made one 25m+ which just seems unreasonable. Back to the drawing board for that one. 

Stage 1 complete mate...... got 8 lengths foamed up last night that's 16mtres.... gonna leave them a couple of days just to make sure they cure properly.. In the mean time I'll get a little pot soted... Was thinking of using a "clip lid " pot....... Put some holes in the lid, which can be used to create a bit more of a spread of bait with particle , say 1mtre squared, instead of a little pile, just gives options , that way, especially when prepping a spot before fishing it.

I've not made one before, so least ways we can learn a few does and don'ts from this one....

I'll pick away at getting it done through the week, I've taken a few picks of stage 1 and I'll post pic's and info once it's finished and tested, hopefully by Sunday night :)

To be fair mate, you prob could use one at 25mtres plus, I'd like mine to go to 40mtres eventually, to get up the margin in an area where there are no swims cut out. Just depends on any cross winds, but I doubt a shop bought one would cope anyway at that range in wind.

1 hour ago, B.C. said:

Stage 1 complete mate...... got 8 lengths foamed up last night that's 16mtres.... gonna leave them a couple of days just to make sure they cure properly.. In the mean time I'll get a little pot soted... Was thinking of using a "clip lid " pot....... Put some holes in the lid, which can be used to create a bit more of a spread of bait with particle , say 1mtre squared, instead of a little pile, just gives options , that way, especially when prepping a spot before fishing it.

I've not made one before, so least ways we can learn a few does and don'ts from this one....

I'll pick away at getting it done through the week, I've taken a few picks of stage 1 and I'll post pic's and info once it's finished and tested, hopefully by Sunday night :)

To be fair mate, you prob could use one at 25mtres plus, I'd like mine to go to 40mtres eventually, to get up the margin in an area where there are no swims cut out. Just depends on any cross winds, but I doubt a shop bought one would cope anyway at that range in wind.

I needing around 50m to reach what I need, across the lake due to casting room. Be an awful lot of pipe to carry about too. 

Very interested to see how you've got on and if it works as having a 20m baiting pole when you need it could be really handy!

I have been using a Daiwa 5.90mts landing net handle for the last couple of years... dead handy for sneaky placing of bait and rig... the pole is a multi section telescopic that collapses down to a cheeky little 27 inches... I bought it for fishing high banks and for that its also superb... a well thought out bit of kit that fills two roles admirably... not cheap(£60) but it fits nicely into my Nash Dwarf rod bag as well ... win win all round

5 hours ago, greekskii said:

Very interested to see how you've got on and if it works as having a 20m baiting pole when you need it could be really handy!

Well, the good thing is, having done a little test today.. The whole thing floats like a cork..... I put 16mtrs out and it floats fine with the expanding foam inside, another 2 sections will give you 20mtres.... The down side, even with the foam inside, it's still a bit bendy... pics soon.. left my phone usb in the shed..

Home made pole so far.......

Screwed down some 2mtr lengths of conduit to keep them straight and squirted in some expanding foam at a few places along their length......... This took about 20mins for 8 lengths.....

Had to drill out a few larger holes to accommodate the nozzle hose for the foam.

IMG_20150206_175152.jpg

IMG_20150206_175146.jpg

IMG_20150206_174443.jpg

Took a piece down the lake to test it for buoyancy, and it floated no problem..... So went back and got the rest, screwed all 16 metres together and pushed it out onto the surface....... 

It floats like a dream and turns over really easily , albeit with no pot attached........

It was a bit "snakey" at 16mtres, but I applied the foam really quickly and I'm pretty sure there were some air locks inside some of the lengths, which wouldn't of helped...IMG_20150207_174754.thumb.jpg.1b3f70e4daa7f8efd1109bfeafa695ad.jpgIMG_20150207_174428.thumb.jpg.d83d482418cae8ff6ee210314a4efb97.jpg

Anyway, I think there is some milage in this pole which works out at about £1 a metre all in...... I have some extra sections to make up, and I'll take a bit more care with applying the foam, possibly drilling a few small holes along each length to let the air escape as the foam expands........ It's not something I use that often, and it's very unforgiving stuff....... ATM, I'd say it was good for use as a margin baiting pole, wher it can be drifted into the bank, but like I say, in open wter it's a bit snakey, unless I can think of a way to stiffen things up a bit............:?