Budget Carp Rods

+1 for the warriors , I have only owned mine for a few months and used them just a few times , but they do feel really balanced and a lot lighter than i would expect from 3lb test rods , some of the cheaper rods seem to be tip heavy to me , but these are nicely balanced in the hand

dave      

4 minutes ago, Big Common said:

Are your's the Warrior "s", Dave.....?

I think they are BC , I got mine from total fishing tackle and they claim to be made for them , mine have 50mm butt rings and TT in the graphics on the rod , only down side and its probably just me , there is no line clip   

dave 

I like the velocity ones, can get them for £50 but the 3lb one has 50mm butt rings. The outkasts appear to cost a bit more, £82 on angling direct. Are they worth the extra? Is there much between all these rods? I even like the Wychwood one for £50. I guess if they cast well and handle a fish well then all is good? 

FWIW I think  50mm rings are a fad. We managed perfectly well in the age of big pit reels with 40mm. Shimano,Daiwa etc, the spool widths haven't got bigger, it's the tackle industry giving it's sales a boost by marketing these as a "must have". Only a tournament caster could possibly utilise them.

JMHO

Edited by pooter

3 hours ago, pooter said:

FWIW I think  50mm rings are a fad. We managed perfectly well in the age of big pit reels with 40mm. Shimano,Daiwa etc, the spool widths haven't got bigger, it's the tackle industry giving it's sales a boost by marketing these as a "must have". Only a tournament caster could possibly utilise them.

JMHO

Carp spools have definitely got deeper & wider in the 30 plus years I've been fishing , what was on offer  back  then to now are very different things.  The 50 mm ring sets do make a difference when your trying to really get some distance I have rods with both on & have noticed a lot less friction through the eyes with the 50mm sets . Like you say yourself all the tournament casters use them for a reason .

If your not fishing distance then they are pointless.... if your are they can give you extra yards from my experience.  Have you used them yourself & compared between the two ? 

8 hours ago, Big Common said:

I'd get the ones that best suited my reels mate.... If you've got largish reels, the 50mm ring might be more suitable. 

I honestly think that unless you are a massive caster then 50mm rings are a waste. More difficult to protect in transport, heavier than more suitable 40mm rings. The larger ring was to deal with a particular line situation on the cast, feeding or funnelling it down with a particular shaped and sized reel.

In terms of budget rods, the current Fox range of Warriors, or Shimano Velocities are worthwhile, or even look at Shimano Alivio DX's. 

The DX's are underpriced compared to some other budget rods! The Velocity is a recognised name, whereas Alivio is probably not.

Here is something for you, and it really pains me to say it, Shimano on the reel side in the basic Baitrunner and cheaper range is going downhill in terms of quality, compared to say 15years ago, but the rods are coming forward.

Spot on Nick... Unless you are using big wide spools , then they are pointless, it just reduces friction which can help with distance nothing else .

When shimano brought out the new range of bait runners a good few years back & stopped the xte & xtea range , the quality in the reels dropped massively , very noticeable .

42 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Spot on Nick... Unless you are using big wide spools , then they are pointless, it just reduces friction which can help with distance nothing else .

When shimano brought out the new range of bait runners a good few years back & stopped the xte & xtea range , the quality in the reels dropped massively , very noticeable .

You reckon some of that was due to going plastic on the gearing?

The brass gear cogs seemed to last forever, yet newer plastic ones strip very easily, or slide.

The reel finishes don't seem as nice now either.