could be barking up the wrong tree

cloud9

I have been watching a few youtube videos of carp feeding , its accrued to me that the hook baits used in those videos are tested and rejected by most of the feeding carp , then a chancer takes the bait and off we go ...

now looking harder, almost all of the videos I can see the carp happily picking up the freebie particles that's being used as an attractor but clearly shying away from the hook bait that is usually a pop up or a wafter type , now that's got me thinking about how to present particles as a hook bait in a natural way ,

I can't find the post that I read the other day it looks like it has been removed , but it was a photo of what I believe to be a boilie with snails stuck to it ?

I would like to know just where to get snails from and also how to stick them to the bait ?

my thinking on this is to use a rig with three or four hairs tied to the hook with several particles or the snails attached to these and possibly the hook itself to give a natural presentation within the spread of the freebie bits. and give the carp the confidence to feed on just what they find in the area .

any help or thoughts on this will be helpful

thanks dave    

It's 50/50 tbh mate. Ive had a pop-up in amongst particle mixes and had a carp every cast, whereas other times ive had nothing, but absolutely destroyed using sweetcorn, in exactly the same locations. So it really depends on the day. As for the pick ups and successful hooks, that is ultimately down to rig mechanics and having the hook set up properly with the bait your using. It's good to experiment and get your snood leaving the hook eye 100% straight, at a near perfect angle to get the hook to kick out and hook the lip on the bait ejection perfect every time. As for snails on pop-ups, I would imagine glue is used, although I've never done this myself. One thing you can do is thread a few hemp seeds to a bit of cotton using a thin sewing needle and attach this to the hair and/or hook. Ive had success with this too.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

thanks guys,

xplorer , if you look closely at the videos its almost as if the carp are testing the baits , just feeling with their lips rather than taking the bait in, almost as if they are thinking well that shouldn't be there lets see what it is ,  

thats why Im wondering if its possible to get a load of smaller particles onto the hook so the hook go's straight in no messing ,  

dave   

There is one or two major differences with attracting the lakes natural baits to your baited area rather than baiting with the tinned or frozen ones.

They are still alive, they are natural to that particular lake. The tinned or frozen ones are obviously dead and they also may not be a he same as what actually lives in the lake your fishing.

If this makes a difference or provides an edge, who knows?? Worth thinking about though.

thanks guys,

xplorer , if you look closely at the videos its almost as if the carp are testing the baits , just feeling with their lips rather than taking the bait in, almost as if they are thinking well that shouldn't be there lets see what it is ,

thats why Im wondering if its possible to get a load of smaller particles onto the hook so the hook go's straight in no messing ,

dave

A number of years ago on here, we had a discussion on fishing over hemp with a bare hook.

A number of years ago on here, we had a discussion on fishing over hemp with a bare hook.

that had come up in my thinking do you actually need to bait the hook or could it just be in the pile and get sucked up with all the bits , I'll have a search and see if I can find the old thread 

dave 

You have http://www.dynamitebaits.com/products/p/frenzied-hempseed-snails which can be used as baits as well as an attractor.

I honestly believe that there are some fish which simply won't take boilies, or take so long to get onto them that particles and a natural are a better option for them.

that had come up in my thinking do you actually need to bait the hook or could it just be in the pile and get sucked up with all the bits , I'll have a search and see if I can find the old thread 

dave 

In the states pack-bait men use a bead.  I think Jerome was the first guy on CAG to use an underwater camera to evaluate rigs.

You have http://www.dynamitebaits.com/products/p/frenzied-hempseed-snails which can be used as baits as well as an attractor.

I honestly believe that there are some fish which simply won't take boilies, or take so long to get onto them that particles and a natural are a better option for them.

smashing link thank you , I to think that some carp wont touch boilies and natural baits are the way to go

dave  

• 1 month later...

well I still have things that go around in my head,normally late at night when I cant sleep,  having  been thinking on the lines of not actually baiting the hook just having it in a pile of particles , I'm thinking that its going to need something to give it more mass ( easier to be scucked up off the lake bed ) also looking like its just part of the natural environment.

this is what I've come up with so far , a natural fren type of aquarium decoration , just whipped on with a standard knotless knot , and placed into a small pva mesh stick or bag of particles ( bird food used here ) .

dave

WP_20170223_12_32_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20170223_12_40_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20170223_12_44_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20170223_12_43_05_Pro.jpg

Years ago a pal of mine was fishing three hemp seeds threaded along the length of a fine hair on a simple hair rig, introduced with a mesh bag of seeds. It was similar to what you're doing there in that there was no bait of significant weight/mass to aid rig mechanics, it was as close to fishing a bare hook as I've seen anyone do. I remember thinking he was nuts until he bagged up on carp and tench.

16 hours ago, yonny said:

Years ago a pal of mine was fishing three hemp seeds threaded along the length of a fine hair on a simple hair rig, introduced with a mesh bag of seeds. It was similar to what you're doing there in that there was no bait of significant weight/mass to aid rig mechanics, it was as close to fishing a bare hook as I've seen anyone do. I remember thinking he was nuts until he bagged up on carp and tench.

I saw somebody fishing a bare hook over hemp, and they caught. I could never convince myself when particle fishing and I could place my bait by hand, to do the same.

Cloud's idea of hiding the hook with weed has been done, although the version I saw had a bait on the hook or hair as well

Silkweed catches. Having caught on a bare hook (checking the depth), I know you can, but would feel safer with a bait on - the plastic weed on the hook though I think has got legs since it gives the fish more to suck on. Sunshine did or do a range of camouflage rigs which is kind of similar.

33 minutes ago, Big Common said:

I've tried similar in the past with a half inch section of lead core outer slipped over the hook shank and then frayed up a bit, and also bits of weed coloured wool on leads and lead clips. It was also a good way of getting a bit of attraction going on with oils and liquids being taken on by the wool.

I really like the look of that stuff though, not sure I'd have the nads to fish a bare hook myself. 

once the weather improves and the fish start to feed a little more , i'm going to give this a try , probably only on one rod to start with , I'm looking for a way of making the particles pva friendly.