A Bit Of Interactive Bank Chat

Gazlaaar

Turned the bivvy light on to deter said rodent from returning. Didn't work. Any rat deterrents other than an air rifle. 

Could leave it a bit of grub away from the bivvy but then it's encouraging more and most likely more wildlife in general. 

12 minutes ago, smufter said:

That'll do! 8)

I picked up the rod cursing as it was the breamiest take ever!! When it took on a curve I'd never been in my waders so quick! 

32 minutes ago, Big Common said:

Not much you can do other than leave your bait buckets outside your shelter if you are open fronted. You could try leaving a couple of traps outside and make sure there isn't any spod spill littering the swim. If you have some messy anglers on the lake, then the rats will thrive. Although, having said that, they tend to thrive anywhere......... Even with a front on the brolly a determined rat will chew through if he smells grub, especially at this time of year...... It's the same with garden sheds, if there isn't much in the way of food, they will go elsewhere.

Probably due to me frying pan sitting near the door. Never really had any problems with them here this year. Second time I've seen one. With the colder weather it must be more tempting. Warmer area in the bivvy and a whiff of food too. 

The problem with traps is that they're likely to catch waterfowl as well, you'd probably find that you would need to finish them off yourself or take them to a vets if they were caught in the traps.

If you reported them as a problem, would the estate do anything about it? Rats with sheep about doesn't sound very good, Weils disease?

On 11/11/2017 at 05:55, greekskii said:

Turned the bivvy light on to deter said rodent from returning. Didn't work. Any rat deterrents other than an air rifle. 

Could leave it a bit of grub away from the bivvy but then it's encouraging more and most likely more wildlife in general. 

I picked up the rod cursing as it was the breamiest take ever!! When it took on a curve I'd never been in my waders so quick! 

Hi Greekskii

You could try Irish Spring Deodorant Soap , I've read it's supposed to stop rats .

I'm trying it now in my garage , and so far so good .

:)

The first batch of 20mm pop ups were made within 20 minutes of my roller table arriving this afternoon. My other batch isn't coming until Thursday so I'll probably get on with those on Friday night while the missus is at work, there a bit stinky winky.

Once these have dried out for a few days, I'll rehydrate in the glug, nothing too complicated :)

20171113_154822.jpg

All my gear is prepped for tomorrow, I'm going to do a little marker in here and there, just to double check depths as I'm getting into using zigs. I've gotten a few tied up ready, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 foot. Those fox jobbies, the foam is about 10mm long, the top half is yellow the bottom is black (sorry nige, you gave my the inspiration for that)

The hookbait's I made are now ready to use, they've had a glaze over. I have a pretty good idea where the fish are going to be, which will be well out of the way of any marketing. So I'll get a little bait in and leave the areas alone for a few hours. I picked up a 4 metre landing net handle this morning which should help me with the area I'm going to fish. There's two places on the water that can not be reached without a bit of skullduggery, so yes, I'm going to bend the rules slightly, I might even take my chesties. Anyway, whatever happens I'm sure I'll enjoy it :)

8 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

You don’t have to apologise mate! Lol

although, if you catch on yellow and black, you wouldn’t have had that inspiration from me!!! I’m black and white where ever and when ever!!!!! Lol

I remember you doing a little writing on here and you mentioned black and white, it struck a cord :)

I always say mate, if your going to fish zigs, to get the best out of them; commit to them. All three rods and really work them. Set your alarm for every half hour and change one rod each time it go’s off. Be that colour (not me though), area or depth. That way, each rod is getting 90 minutes but your still actively switching things every 30. You can cover a lot of depth and areas in a day doing this. 

It's why I'm doing a bit of depth finding tomorrow, I always seem to have an easier time of finding fish during the colder months, their a lot more predictable. Once I've gotten a few accurate measurements I can start fishing zigs properly, even if the casting about does destroy the session tomorrow it'll be worth it in the long run :)

I've set myself up on one of the other club lakes after spotting a few fish in the shallows down to my right.

It's one of the busier waters but it's not to bad at the moment, the one bay is full of anglers so I've come round to the other, where I spotted a few fish.

These fish are used to pressure but I thought I'd do something a little different and feed and fish with half boilies.

I have only chucked in a handful of chops over each rod, with 2 whole boilies. Hopefully they'll think their the hookbait's.

My rods are well back, just the very tips hovering over the waters edge buy very low, plus I've got light backleads on. The fish are still here mooching about, so we'll see what happens :)

20171115_120728.jpg

IMG_20171115_122344_258.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to get onto a local syndicate water, 20 minutes from home which is a lot better than doing a 3 hour round trip. It also means I can go down a few times a week to get some bait in.

I've already been down a few times baiting 4 to 5 swims, and I'm getting through a bit of bait lately.

I'm not due out fishing for another week or so due to a minor op I had yesterday but I should be able to get down for a couple of recky trips this week.

I can't wait, new water, new challenge and near enough right in my door step :)

Edited by Gazlaaar