Rig masters needed

nealjt

Just been having a think, how would splicing the hook on work for you?

Ā 

It does give a stiffer section near the hook, and then whipping on your hair or even using a sliding ring on the shank stopped with a rig stop bead?

Ā 

If you do splice it, with the stiffer section you could use it for a pop-up or snowman rig with the rig ring, or with a whipped hair as a bottom bait rig.

unless you are fishing abroad somewhere that has razor blades as a lakebed please DO NOT use this rig, its a death trap!! any fish trailing that will never get rid of it, it'll never snap off unless another fish came along with a pair of scissors.Ā 

Ā 

The effect you want can be achieved with plenty of materials on the market which are a lot safer.

Ā 

Personally the rig for my is a multi-rig. simple and effective.

Ā 

I would think any bailiff seeing you use that would boot you straight off their lake!

The rubbing is something that does happen, a fish tethered somewhere on some branches will be rubbing the hooklink/line as it tries to free itself. Thus the hooklink with snap.Ā Leadcore and leaders are designed to withstand serious abrasion.Ā 

Ā 

What you are doing with that rig is creating a 55lb breaking strain hooklink! I just think its totally unnecessary considering you can use so many other materials for the same thing, which have a lower BS and are less obtrusive and probably wont cost you bites from warier fish. It's very crude.

Ā 

Just my opinion but its an unacceptable rig to be fishing with for various reasons. If I saw anyone using that rig on a water I fish I'd be reporting it to the bailiffs.Ā 

Ā 

Again, same effect can be achieved with subtler and safer hooklink materials. They are readily available from thousands of suppliers. Get a very stiff coated braid and strip a tiny section back to get the 'flimsy' section and retain stiffness throughout. Line aligners and shrink tubing can create the kick if you want to use a combi-rig with a very stiff fluoro tied to a supple braid.

Edited by greekskii

My main thoughts are that I like the solar contour and the idea of hydrolink, (braid outside of stiff mono/floro)

Ā 

Don't get me wrong greekskii I posted it to get responses so do appreciate your insights, and to be fair you have put the danger thought in my head so it won't be used !

On a splice it does not double the whole length of the hooklink, and it will still break at its expected breaking strain, just not usually on the spliced section.

Ā 

A spliced boat rope, is the example of that as I have seen a rope snapped under extreme (gale force) wind and waves, and it snapped above the splice.

Ā 

I have tried the same with a spliced hooklink, and again, the pressure under stress, pulling the hook and swivel, the Merlin snapped along its length, not in the splice.

Ā 

In actual use, I have never snapped or had a break off of the hooklink with a braided hooklink, although I have had a combi-rig knot give way (my fault, I cast out the same rig after landing a decent 20 and had another take very quickly).

Ā 

Correction, I can think of one occasion at Earith, almost an instant take after casting, and I had the hooklink give way, as a cut or bite off. It is possible it was a catfish, maybe a pike, but that is the only occasion.

Ā 

This hooklink snapping midway would leave a fish with a hook and at most 150millimetres of trailing line, and that can be ejected, even if it is a barbed hook.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

As an aside, double posts happen if you hold your finger on 'post' for an extra second or your internet 'freezes'.

Ooooh, well,

Ā 

Unaccurate test of rig hooked onto Avon scales

Ā 

- idea rig, korda krank size 4.... hook opened at just over 20lb

Ā 

- old snake bite rig, think it was 12lb, with size 10 korum xpert hook.... The hook snapped at just over 10lb

Ā 

So proves nothing other than I won't be buying those hooks again

I think the reasons for the kranks opening could be to do with the way hook seems to act on most common rigs when hooking the fish therefore exerting more pressure on the bend due to its aggressive pattern.Ā 

Ā 

Double post sorry please remove 1 modsĀ  :oops:

Edited by hutch

I used the guru qm1's for small carp, they are a much finer and smaller version of the kranks, and for smaller fish they where brilliant. I had a fair few carp on the kranks, in size 10 and 8, biggest was about 25lb and was proper hit and hold next to Lillie pads. Fine no problem, but that size four was terrible! Now I won't be using any!! Oh well only one item left of korda in my tackle box