Krank Chod Hook or Chod Hook

crusian

I'll put the quote below my post because so much of it is relevant, and interesting, but the bit that strikes me most is your comment about Korda hooks.

If they are that soft do you think or feel that the point is easier to blunt while in use?

I wonder if that may answer the question of me missing fish on a Korda hook a few years ago, the point had been blunted. I changed to another brand of hook, I think it was the Gardner, but may have been a Gamakatsu, and the bait in exactly the same spot produced fish.

I'm certain that because the Korda hook was blunter it may not have been pr icking and was being ejected.

When it comes to hooks I am quite fussy, Gardner Muggas and Gamakatsu GP204's served me well.

I don't know anything for a fact but I do have an assumption fella -  that being that Atomic hooks are harder than other brands. I've sharpened my hooks for years and when I fist started using Atomic I found they took at least twice as long to sharpen which for me has to indicate higher hardness. As I mentioned previously high hardness is not always a good thing as it can lead to embrittlement, but I find Atomic are heat treated right in the sweet spot - hard as nails yet tough as old boots.

You are essentially performing a simple tensile test there. I wish I could give you some kind of equation or statistic that would tell us if your result is any good or not but alas, I cannot. It sounds quite low to me (based on similar tests I perform on similar components at work (although my testing is in compression rather than tensile)). Unfortunately I've never tested anything with such a thin gauge so I really cannot give you an answer of any value.....

What is interesting is that you obtained a higher result with the size 8 fly hook than you did with the size 4 Krank (which clearly has a thicker gauge). This would suggest that either the fly hook result is very good or the Krank result is poo.

Do you know, the second hardest hooks I've ever sharpened are the Gamakatsus......

I found you can sharpen Korda's by having a kitten lick them....

I'll put the quote below my post because so much of it is relevant, and interesting, but the bit that strikes me most is your comment about Korda hooks.

If they are that soft do you think or feel that the point is easier to blunt while in use?

We cannot say for a fact that the Korda's are softer fella - all we can say is that nealjt's test result and my findings re sharpening are indicative of a hook that is softer than some other brands. If they're softer then yes, they would blunt more easily, it is a given.

When it comes to hooks I am quite fussy

So you should be mate! It's the single most important consumable item in our tackle box.

when I open a new pack I will test one of the hooks , always now , every pack one gets sacrificed ,

if someone brought a hook out and could guarantee it wouldn't open out I would part with £10 for 10 , even more ! when you look at the money with all your tackle , bait , prebaiting , and that feeling when you loose  a big un after all that time and effort , so demoralising !

You mean you test every single hook? Or you test a given brand/pattern prior to using? How do you test them fella?

I test every single hook. As I take it out of the pack I check to see the point is ok, and if I can bend it by hand, and When I pull my knots tight I pull the hook with the grip holes on a pair of forceps. I know I'm pulling the centre of the bend, but any weakness should show up between those checks.

I know it's not relevant now, but I have used Kamasan B175's in the past for the bent hook rigs, and I did used to bend them mid shank. I never had one of those go wrong, straighten or bend out. In fact I do still do that when I use them on pike traces as the upper single hook, and again, not had a problem.

I think some branded carp hooks are a cheaper copy of some other hooks, the pattern being arrived at in response to other brands being there first, a tackle brand making cost cutting exercises or a compromise of cost vs strength and reliability. In other words I won't trust some tackle branded hooks at all. Get a hook pattern you can rely on, and don't just follow fashion. Get the right hook for your fishing; don't use a thin gauge hook near snags or where you need to put the pressure on.

I often search the images of carp hooks , to see if there is anything new out  and to check the gauge of steel etc , I check them firstly by giving them the flex test by hand , then its in the vice and I have a 4 inch piece of steel tube that I pass down over the point , to the bend , then I pull the tube back to see how much pressure it takes to bend the hook ,

I obviously check the basics before I make my rigs , sharp burs on the eye , and I will sharpen if necessary ,

Edited by gagnaccarp

I test any end tackle to destruction before I cast it out be it hook length material or hooks if it stands up to me a & two rig pullers I'm happy to cast it out .

I'm surprised at just how many products are out there that give up way before you would expect them to.

Hence me saying about these krank hooks being pants , also remember members recommending korda IQ years ago so I purchased some only for it to snap like a carrot & never cast it out . I reported back on that too & sure enough members started to say the same even after recommending it them selves.

I check to see the point is ok...... and When I pull my knots tight I pull the hook with the grip holes on a pair of forceps. 

When you put it like that I suppose I check every hook too.

its in the vice and I have a 4 inch piece of steel tube that I pass down over the point , to the bend , then I pull the tube back to see how much pressure it takes to bend the hook ,

Not sure that's an effective test fella, you have no defined pass/fail criteria. A hook that passes may fail once you've had your weetabix.... :mrgreen:

Well seeing as you seem to know a great deal about this sort of thing, that can only be a good news, providing like you said they don't mess up the production process  :)

Funnily enough I saw the vid for these yesterday and was going to ask you about them. luckily you beat me to it  :lol:

My problem is I've developed a phobia of using anything else once I've found a hook that works for me. Last year I dabbled with Nash hooks in the spring and lost a couple fish - in the bin they went and back onto the Atomics (no idea why I changed in the first place tbh, just liked the look of the chod twisters for HSRs). I only chucked one more rig out all year without an Atomic hook attached - it was a multi rig with Drennan Conti on (again, no idea why I changed, I was just tinkering for the sake of it....idiot) - had a run and proceeded to lose an upper 30 common at the net to a hook pull. Would have been a PB common.....

Therefore I simply don't dare try these new ESP hooks unless everyone and their mum starts raving about them when they're released. I really like the look of them, just too scared to try them.

As the old saying goes - If it aint broke, don't fix it....

It is odd isn't it gagna! Serious flaw in an Industry if the majority of products aren't trusted!! Anything fishing related if it is genuinely a top product I would happily pay top dollar, but it is a lot of hearsay and opinion. Confidence is worth a big price tag.

It'd be great to find a reviewer that did genuine and honest like for like tests . (I may even try it myself!)

I found a Carp mag article testing baits all I can find was an article where baitworks let their boilies be tank tested. Best advert ever!!

Maybe there was other baits tested but I can't find the articles, anyone else see it?

But where are the other companies putting their wares up against others?

Would be great to see the top carp companies have a match, independent judges, they use their own gear, I wonder how many would be confident enough to enter without pulling strokes?

It is odd isn't it gagna! Serious flaw in an Industry if the majority of products aren't trusted!! Anything fishing related if it is genuinely a top product I would happily pay top dollar, but it is a lot of hearsay and opinion. Confidence is worth a big price tag.

It'd be great to find a reviewer that did genuine and honest like for like tests . (I may even try it myself!)

I found a Carp mag article testing baits all I can find was an article where baitworks let their boilies be tank tested. Best advert ever!!

Maybe there was other baits tested but I can't find the articles, anyone else see it?

But where are the other companies putting their wares up against others?

Would be great to see the top carp companies have a match, independent judges, they use their own gear, I wonder how many would be confident enough to enter without pulling strokes?

. Hello Neal mate hope you & yours are well :wink:

I know it's way off topic but since you brought it up :)

Carpology did Boilie tank tests on loads of companies baits . Going back 4 maybe 5 years ago now , they tested 4 each issue if I remember rightly and , I'm not sure , but I think Simon Scott may have been involved ?

Some terrific articles , with pics of the carp munching etc , but I dunno maybe they are available online ?

An email to Carpology couldn't hurt ?