Leader/Leadcore

Gazlaaar

In my opinion the lead release system for heli setups is the most dangerous item of tackle in recent years

Hmmmm I've avoided this discussion on this and other forums as I'm on the fence. I don't use them myself for the reason you state but the more I think about it the less I'm averse to their use.

IMO the safest rig is the one that lands the fish safely and I do believe the system will give you a better chance of that.

If you get snapped off the line will no longer be tight therefore the leadcore could still fall under its own weight and become snagged allowing the fish to escape.

Like I say, not entirely convinced either way so will continue to avoid for the time being.

Edited by yonny

No the fish only gets its face smashed in if there is slack between the bottom of the hooklink and the lead, which if the bottom bead is used correctly there won't be. Point of fact I never use chod rigs, as for my money there are better ways of presenting a pop up in any situation than a chod rig, so my lead is always at least 6 inches from the hook anyway. The heli safe stopping the fish getting its face bashed in assumes firstly that there will be slack between the hook and the lead while playing the fish, which there shouldn't be, and assumes that the lead will snag up on something during the fight, which It shouldn't. If the line snaps the leader will sink under its own weight, but the heavier end will sink first/further. If that is a lead then the end the fish can escape from will trail up allowing the fish to escape. If there is no lead then the longest length of leadcore will sink. Given that during the fight this will invariably be the end that the mainline was attached to there is a much higher chance of this end snagging up. The fish cannot get past what is left of the heli safe system so will be totally teathered. I agree that a safe rig is one that allows a fish to be landed, but not with a total lack of consideration for what happens if it goes wrong. A good safe rig will take both into account, which this doesn't.

Edited by adamkitson

HSR for me is with the boom horizontal and weighted. Not sure about Yonny but I have fished a chod with a short boom unweighted sitting vertical.

It can allow the rig to spin freely 360 in silt or weed where normal style can be restricted from the curved hooklink.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, have just had a thought, I guess a heli safe system would be preferable if fishing a rotary rig without a leader, i.e a naked chod, something on tubing, or otherwise a rotary system where the main line is tied off below the hooklink. A crack off or break during a fight is much more likely to be at the knot, so it makes little difference if the lead is still there or not, and dropping the lead would help in getting the fish up and out of the weed and onto the bank.

I am personally trying to remove leaders from my fishing as much as possible. I already don't use them for inline lead setups, or lead clips, but still do for rotary setups. Does anyone fish helicopter rigs or non-naked chod rigs on just tubing rather than a leader? If that would work I'd be able to bung all the leaders.

Hmm, yeah. Didn't think about not being able to use the no trace beads, which are great IMO. a sticky bead on tubing would just leave them with tubing instead of the leader.

Ok, probably best solution would be heli's and standard chods on safe zone/dark matter leaders with no trace beads and no heli safe system, and naked chods on heli safe, again with no trace beads.

I really wish some other manufacturers would produce some of this stuff. Sounding like a right "friend of Danny" but the no trace beads are genius, and if you have to use a leader and don't want to use leadcore (which is allowed on my waters) the safe zone/dark matter range are hard to top.

Yup, all of the above. Also naked has its place, fished over weed with a critically balanced weighted chod rig with nothing on the line to weigh the pop up down. Super slack line of course otherwise it'd just pull into the weed. However if the wind is blowing debris around the lake and it's being fished over "chod" rather than weed then a bit more weight to hold it down in the form of a weighted leader or tubing allows you to stay a little more in touch with it, even back lead under the tip and fish semi-slack, with the pop up sunk by the tubing/leader rather than any weight on the hooklink. Naked is much more likely to be blown around by line drag and water movement than with some weight.

Adam I've successfully fished a rotary setup on tubing, the top bead being oversized with a short piece of dry spaghetti under it to keep in place. The bottom bead pushed down onto a long tail rubber to prevent it from snapping the tubing when playing a fish.

Going back to something mentioned earlier in the thread (Can't remember who) my opinion is also that dropping the lead with rotary/chod setups on leadcore, will make the rig more dangerous.

Yeah I'm not a fan of dropping the lead on a rotary rig with any kind of leader. Shall be playing around with the tubing approach, although it presents issues as well as solving them, and begs the question, what is the difference between leaving a fish with a meter of tungsten tubing, and leaving the fish with a meter long leader. I personally like the idea of a naked/on the line setup with a lead drop system, and a leader setup with a fixed lead. Always tubing for lead clips and safety lead drop setups with tubing for inlines. I'm out for a few nights later in the week, and can foresee myself using every one of those! :)

Adam, if you fish a rotary on tubing, there really is no way to leave a fish with the tubing if you get a snap up. Due to the nature of the material, which remember is running "On" the line not attached to it, the beads and hooklink will come off it, or it will simply part if put under any tension. Try it in your hands,

And I'll assume you were generalising when you say a "Meter" of leader?

And I'll assume you were generalising when you say a "Meter" of leader?

Yeah just from my own fishing, I use 1m leaders, they seem plenty long enough to me.

Ahhh, is this where the "leadcore is lethal" argument comes from? People who use long lengths of the stuff? If so no wonder I've never really got it. Seems a bit of a small issue to be so hotly discussed, between leadcore or any other sinking leader, but yeah, if people are using 2m or more then I would probably have to readjust my thinking!

Yeah just from my own fishing, I use 1m leaders, they seem plenty long enough to me.

Ahhh, is this where the "leadcore is lethal" argument comes from? People who use long lengths of the stuff? If so no wonder I've never really got it. Seems a bit of a small issue to be so hotly discussed, between leadcore or any other sinking leader, but yeah, if people are using 2m or more then I would probably have to readjust my thinking!

It only takes 6inches to catch around a twig or snag if a fish swims in a circle!

Also a well known angler was advocating a length of leadcore around 10feet long.

It only takes 6inches to catch around a twig or snag if a fish swims in a circle!

Also a well known angler was advocating a length of leadcore around 10feet long.

Hey, if you want to pull your hair out. I once worked out it only takes 9" of leadcore to use as a boom on  HSR with a 15mm pop up to do away with any putty or shot  :wink:  :mrgreen:

You could say the same about a 6" braided hooklink with a swivel on the end! Leadcore is in my opinion as safe as the user makes it.

10feet of anything apart from main line is frankly, ridiculous!

You could say the same about a 6" braided hooklink with a swivel on the end! Leadcore is in my opinion as safe as the user makes it.

10feet of anything apart from main line is frankly, ridiculous!

Problem is, you try to snap 6inches of 40lb leadcore from a standing start, then try the same with a 15lb hooklink. It is likely that you can snap the hooklink, but almost definitely not the leadcore.

As for the hooklink with swivel on it, the hook can still be ejected, there is minimal inherent weight.

Yet with the leadcore, even if only 6inches long, the inherent weight of the leadcore will stop the hook being ejected.

A carp can eject a hook, even barbed, if there is no weight on it. As soon as you add weight, this ejection is prevented, as it pulls the hook down in the lip, and it makes a fresh hookhold, or stops the hook lifting up and out.