Pop Up Rig

CarpAdventures

Different answers all round haha. I'd go for stiff hinge.

Scratchy how long do you tend to make the hooklength?

depends what im fishing for and if im fishing it as a single or over a spread of boilies. if its a single or im trying to avoid smaller fish then its about 3to4 inch, any size fish its about 2inch.

Thanks everybody I thought I would try a rig, with 2 hook stops and a micro swivel on the hook then coated braid then unstrip about 1 inch near the hook.

Dont forget the Bells & Whistles :) :)

Keep things as simple as possible, why confuse yourself?

A plain basic rig, short hair, with the pop up tight to the hook shank, either knotless knotted or line aligned will work. If you make it from coated braid, and strip a section back the putty can be attached to the end of the strip, if you use plain braid, then a small power gum stop knot will hold the putty

popuprig.jpg

Or go to a D rig, both simple, the D being slightly harder to tie

CoatedBraidD-Rigforpop-ups.jpg

Or you can use pole anglers olivettes as your counterweight.

This one, straight off my rods ages ago has some wire wrapped around it, just to make sure the hooklink doesn't loop up.

If you do decide to go to that horrible 'chod rig', then remember that the lead can be well into the weed, while the hookbait is well outside it. Also it can give funny bites in weedy areas, possible hook pulls and occasional line breaks if naked

Can I ask a stupid question; is there any reason not to fish a multi rig inside a solid PVA bag? Keeping the entire hook length relatively short (4/5 inches) - being in the bag shouldn't cause the loop to pull down tight right? Any other mechanical reason it's not a good idea?

your hookbait will be sat high up but free offerings on the deck,not ideal really

Not that I'm looking to open a can of worms, but there are two schools of thought right? 1) A pop-up might sometimes look unusual and out of place amongst other things on the deck, 2) Fish, particularly larger fish can't necessarily distinguish something as being 'off of the deck' thus it doesn't do any harm (in fact might help if targeting bigger fish)?

Discuss...   :mrgreen:  

I wouldnt fish a pop up inside a solid bag but thats just me Dan , i know other people do and have success with it but i have only ever fished a bottom bait or wafter in a bag amongst crumb and pellet .

I dont like the thought of it sticking up and looking out of place .

On the other hand , some may say the pop up will get taken first for the same reason .

I only adhere to the idea of a pop up amongst a spread of bottom baits ( especially A Choddie :wink:) as it seems less obvious somehow.

Mind you im weird .

Not that I'm looking to open a can of worms, but there are two schools of thought right? 1) A pop-up might sometimes look unusual and out of place amongst other things on the deck, 2) Fish, particularly larger fish can't necessarily distinguish something as being 'off of the deck' thus it doesn't do any harm (in fact might help if targeting bigger fish)?

Discuss...   :mrgreen:

i suppose it depends on how big the fish that approaches the rig is and what angle its feeding at. if it was approached from above it probably wouldnt look out of place thinking about it.

Like your thinking :wink:

Suppose the fish are feeding on a bed of particles, and you put a pop-up out there. The pop-up level may actually be above the fishes feeding, and so ignored. The fish feeding in the silt, noses in, pop-up is above the carps feeding level, and again, ignored

Or a pop-up at 2cms off the lakebed, a big fish approaching from above might not even recognise that the bait is off the bottom.

My view with pop-ups, you need to know what type of silt, or lakebed you are fishing over, and to some extent, the depth of the silt.

No point fishing a pop-up with the weight 2cms under the hook if the silt is 3cms deep, and smelly, thick and black. You need the pop-up to be above the silt and bottom debris.

Also no good fishing a pop-up above the level the fish are feeding at.

A plain basic rig, short hair, with the pop up tight to the hook shank, either knotless knotted or line aligned will work. If you make it from coated braid, and strip a section back the putty can be attached to the end of the strip, if you use plain braid, then a small power gum stop knot will hold the putty

popuprig.jpg

Or go to a D rig, both simple, the D being slightly harder to tie

CoatedBraidD-Rigforpop-ups.jpg

This one, straight off my rods ages ago has some wire wrapped around it, just to make sure the hooklink doesn't loop up.

If you do decide to go to that horrible 'chod rig', then remember that the lead can be well into the weed, while the hookbait is well outside it. Also it can give funny bites in weedy areas, possible hook pulls and occasional line breaks if naked

That makes sense. The first picture, not the second one but human error could be a factor.

• 2 months later...

This is an addition for a couple of reasons.

The first is because I remembered to photograph theseb793fd618d6ca6b74a5aa11026106dca_zpsn8wb

to show the cheaper way over the carp anglers mugged off version.

Or a simple pop-up rig showing the weight in action.

e7fcc2a319afada7002f9672bdab5cda_zpscpcq

I have put the hook on knotless knotted on a coated braid, with the hook end being stripped. The rig ring has a pop-up tied on with dental floss

Is that simple enough?

A plain basic rig, short hair, with the pop up tight to the hook shank, either knotless knotted or line aligned will work. If you make it from coated braid, and strip a section back the putty can be attached to the end of the strip, if you use plain braid, then a small power gum stop knot will hold the puttypopuprig.jpg

Or go to a D rig, both simple, the D being slightly harder to tieCoatedBraidD-Rigforpop-ups.jpg

Does the lead wire not concern you with regards to lifting scales, Nick?

I hadn't thought about it, but stopped using it when I started thinking about lead weights and fishing, realising that using lead between size 8 shot and 1.1 oz is illegal anyway.

• 3 months later...

I wouldnt fish a pop up inside a solid bag but thats just me.

I caught a 39lb 15oz doing exactly that! Lol! I believe the larger fish once over the hookbait cannot distinguish it as being off the deck too well, especially as they can't see it when their mouths are over it and they are relying on their barbules for the final part. This fish was caught on a simple braided pop up rig in a solid PVA bag, however in my experience I find braided pop up rig, especially fished without a PVA bag/stringer can tangle more times than I'm prepared to accept. I good old hinged stiff rig has caught me stacks of carp, i have not had one tangle and the hookholds have been awesome. It's my go to pop up rig regardless of where I am. It fishes well over a clean or slightly weedy bottom but can be a bit problematic in thick weed. I never use the chod. It's a rig I don't like, and I've never had my HSL outfished by a chod anyway.