Hinged stiff with coated braid ?

mitomaniac

I'm going to fish a different lake to my usual and a good friend who I trust has been doing well with a small white popup. I don't know the venue very well as its a different club water to what I normally fish but I do know it's silty and maybe has a small layer of debris on the bottom so I was going to do a sorta hinged stiff rig by using chod hook lengths on the end of some stiff coated braid. Any reason why I shouldn't do this

Why not just strip the end section of coated braid and make a natural hinge out of the braid with the uncoated section above the hook? Add putty to the 'strip end'.

I can't see any reason why what you are thinking wouldn't work, I have used the same sort of thing myself, a braided soft section, with a stiff end :ooh: but went back to the stripped section as it didn't seem to offer any advantage over the stripped end

If it's not weedy, why would you need to think about dropping the lead?

Have a look at Rig Marole Hydrolink. It's a coated fluoro which makes a great hinged stiff rig type of rig (Although the pop up section is on braid rather than a stiff material giving it much more scope to turn withought the need of introducing as swivel.

There is a reed bed and a section where lillies were last time I was there and I'm looking to be fishing near that area so just for safety I would rather dump a lead if needed. Also in not 100% on what's on the bottom so if it is snaggy I would rather lose the lead if necessary l.

Obviously if I see fish show else where I won't be in this spot :)

I hate it that's why lol it's not that weedy so I don't see the need for it is just a bit messy on bottom and I don't have the drop off lead clips for chods

If its just a bit "messy" ie choddy on the bottom then all the more reason to consider the Chod rig

If it was weedy then yes there would be plenty of other options but otherwise , to me anyway , its a no brainer .

As for hinged hooklengths Dal's is a good suggestion though i use the Ultima hydrolink which is similar but needs steaming ..and its a lot cheaper :)

Just thought the chod style boom would help keep my bait out of the debris on the bottom as its not a water I know very well and I will be setting up in fading light too

the pop up will lift the hook  clear of any debris. stiff materials i find hard to get short, so if i wanted to have the pop up low to the deck i'd used coated braid,so the stripped hinge was closer the the eye. this is a good rig for pop ups when you want it to look more like a freebie and less blatant.

Using a stiff fluro hook section with a braided boom section is a known rig called a reverse stiff rig. it can be prone to tangling. You can use a braided hook link with a fluro boom to make a combi presentation but in my experience, hinged stiff links are best when made out of stiff materials such as amnesia. you can of course use coated braid and peel back the amount you want the bait to pop up by, however i prefer a traditional hinged stiff link as they seem to tangle less abd kick the hookbait away from the lead on settling, especially if pva nuggets are used. i find the amnesia stiff links more versitile and less prone to tangle and they give better hookholds in my opinion. they are whats on my rods at the moment anyway!

Just tie 6 ich stiff braid to a chod rig and put a blob of clay on the swivel done

Does this actually work ?

Anyone else ever done this cos i have terrible trouble tying Chod rigs so usually use the ESP or Gardner readymades ?

Does this actually work ?

Anyone else ever done this cos i have terrible trouble tying Chod rigs so usually use the ESP or Gardner readymades ?

Yes, yes it does.

That's how I tie them, a chod rig and then attach a boom. Usually I use a stiff coated braid but you could use a fluoro or other stiff material.

the pop up will lift the hook  clear of any debris. stiff materials i find hard to get short, so if i wanted to have the pop up low to the deck i'd used coated braid,so the stripped hinge was closer the the eye. this is a good rig for pop ups when you want it to look more like a freebie and less blatant.

Go the other way round with a stiff hook end section.

Nice D rig for the hook, then by connecting to braid an overhand knot on the stiff material, which you can position exactly, then uni/Grinner knot the braid through it.

Like you, I do tend to have low pop-ups on the occasions I use them and do prefer stripped braid end as my putty point

Yes, yes it does.

That's how I tie them, a chod rig and then attach a boom. Usually I use a stiff coated braid but you could use a fluoro or other stiff material.

Whats the recommended knot to attach the boom fellas ?

Save me looking at the Korda Rigz site :)

Palomar, grinner, five turn blood knot.

I had a surf about on various sites earlier , and yes your quite right mate , it doesnt seem to matter .

I'll have a play around , i would think the smaller the knot the better .

• 2 weeks later...

Knots are a personal thing, so long as you trust them. ive used a blood knot all my fishing life and had no problems. The only knot i dont trust is a simple overhand loop, i find it self strangulates and weakens. a double overhand loop is much stronger. i use grinners for seafishing though, to attach tapered shockleaders on my abu hi speed multis. but blood knots for swivels hooks etc. the thicker the mono, the less turns i find i need. normal mono = 4turns braid =6turns greased weasel (trace bodies) =3turns. experience really helps here.