Fluorocarbon rigs

newmarket

Same as CM clear water or if the fish are a little spooky, if the bottom you are fishing over is a bit soft or not spotless clean it can pay to use a slightly more supple fluorocarbon, I generally a D rig style and a SR Arma Point, the out turned eye suits the presentation. 

I used a fluorocarbon and braid combi rig for all my fishing last year, will do the same this year too, Fox armapoint ssc size 6 hook. I was using a snake bite hook length, but I prefer the fluorocarbon as it stays tidy and the braid makes for a better hair loop. I use it as I think it is one of the more difficult rigs for the carp to blow out. 

& i was told not to mention fluro to cm!!!!!!

As above although i use no.6 Krank, 3 turn blood, micro swivel on the hook, my method over the suppleness of the braid.

I have used IQ2 in the past, but now using Rig marole ( easy to iron out small kinks without the need for steam), they also have braid over fluro, so you can roll up the braid, cut the fluro, push the braid back for the whipping & hair, INSTANT COMBI RIG.

I only use fluro now, peace of mind that the rig resets itself should it be disturbed. :wink:

Again I'd use it for spooky fish in clear water and I'd have to go for the chod style hook cos of the out turned eye. I do like a wide gape and if the fluoro was a stiff one I'd be worried about the gape not being wide enough especially when the rig is out there all day. Plus the coots seem to home in on my hook bait every time as well :( so I really want the rig to reset itself

Again I'd use it for spooky fish in clear water and I'd have to go for the chod style hook cos of the out turned eye. I do like a wide gape and if the fluoro was a stiff one I'd be worried about the gape not being wide enough especially when the rig is out there all day. Plus the coots seem to home in on my hook bait every time as well :( so I really want the rig to reset itself

Good shout, have you tried the Krank choody??? 

I like the hook so was hoping the chod style one would improve my zig fishing as well.

I've got traps for the rats & i wish there was  one for the ol' coots n ducks, they're worse than bream

Good shout, have you tried the Krank choody??? 

I like the hook so was hoping the chod style one would improve my zig fishing as well.

A normal chod/SR would be ok for zig fishing but IMO a krank/curve would hold the bait to far away from the hook or hold the bait at the wrong angle for effective hooking.

I found if you want to use a hook with an in-turned eye like a wide gape with fluorocarbon then tie the rig up and store it under tension on a rig board. When you come to use it it keeps the gape of the hook open rather than closing it up.

Under what circumstances would you consider using a fluorocarbon hooklength ?

And which hook pattern , in your opinion , suits best ?

Thanks for your tuppence worth :wink:

Probably only on a clear gravel, clay or sandy lakebed. I see no point in using fluorocarbon on silty waters, the silt may well hide your normal hooklink, and why risk a 'scaring' loop of hooklink as it beds in near the hooklink swivel

I think the fluro my of done me wrong on Tuesday, I was surprised I didn't catch. I done so well on a fluro braid combi rig last summer I stuck with it all day. Had a similar first day out last year fishing a coated combi rig for most of the day, only last year I tied up a basic super nova rig for the last few hours and had a nice mirror out, think I’m going to tie a few up with the supper nova for next time.

I use amnesia 15lb for all my pop up rigs, hinged stiff links. i took my first "hard" water using fluro hooklinks in late 90s. again using amnesia 15lb in clear and bottom baits. i think i had the advantage as everyone else was using supple braided hooklinks. so it was a different presentation. so id use it when no one else is.

I use amnesia 15lb for all my pop up rigs, hinged stiff links. i took my first "hard" water using fluro hooklinks in late 90s. again using amnesia 15lb in clear and bottom baits. i think i had the advantage as everyone else was using supple braided hooklinks. so it was a different presentation. so id use it when no one else is.

Brilliant for fishing over a bit of chod.  Amnesia combi's have been a fave of mine too.

I tend to fish fluoro in long lengths, like 18" plus with small D sections.

If fishing with boilies over a firm bottom I will use flouro hook links around 12 inches long with a size 4 solar wide gape X, sometimes with a d the same as Phil but sometimes with my own unique presentation which so far I have never seen anyone else use.

I'm a proper pioneer me lol.

Edited by muftyboy

I use flouro-combi rigs for the majority of my angling. A good understanding of what you're fishing over is a must when using the larger diameter/ stiffer ones. I use in conjunction with a helicopter rig as it allows the rig to lay out better . It also allows that bit of extra movement if the rig gets picked up and dropped, aiding the all important resetting properties.

Anti tangle, being less visible and most importantly the anti eject properties are three more reasons why it is my hooklength of choice.

Brilliant for fishing over a bit of chod. Amnesia combi's have been a fave of mine too.

I tend to fish fluoro in long lengths, like 18" plus with small D sections.

I like that Phil . Doesnt anybody use a simple old fashioned D Rig these days ?

I wouldn't think twice about using it over a choddy lakebed paticuarly in the margins but everybody seems adamant that they would only use fluorocarbons on hard clear bottoms ????

Edited by newmarket

I'm planning on fishing in about a foot of silt in the shallows

Would depend how hard the crust is on the top of the silt, if the water is clearish and you see the spot try dropping a lead on it and seeing how far it plugs in which be my major concern about using a fluro rig in this situation, if the lead plugs into the silt on cast then you are going to be left with a section of the hooklink sticking straight out where the lead has plugged in, personally i would probably use a supernova braided hooklink in this situtation 

Bait wise a slow sinker/wafter or a snowman should just sit nicely on top of the silt

Edited by hutch