Fluorocarbon rigs

newmarket

I like that Phil . Doesnt anybody use a simple old fashioned D Rig these days ?

I wouldn't think twice about using it over a choddy lakebed paticuarly in the margins but everybody seems adamant that they would only use fluorocarbons on hard clear bottoms ????

Would depend how hard the crust is on the top of the silt, if the water is clearish and you see the spot try dropping a lead on it and seeing how far it plugs in which be my major concern about using a fluro rig in this situation, if the lead plugs into the silt on cast then you are going to be left with a section of the hooklink sticking straight out where the lead has plugged in, personally i would probably use a supernova braided hooklink in this situtation

Bait wise a slow sinker/wafter or a snowman should just sit nicely on top of the silt

That is my thinking as I have seen stiffer hook links, mono, coated braid and fluoro all sticking up from the swivel, which as they are stiff may well put the fish off feeding. Don't get me wrong as sticks, stiff twigs, or even lake weed all stick up, but they have a natural feel, which man made materials often don't.

It's this sticking up which sees me going back to uncoated braids from the Kryston stable, be it Merlin, Supersilk, or Silkworm, which I do love, along with SuperNova.

As for plain D rigs, yes, I do like them for pop-ups and bottom baits, and for my snowman baits.

Out of interest Nick have used any of the more supple fluoro's in this type of situation, as they may not stick up or look as obvious

The fluoro's I've used are Gardner (mainline) and Sufix. Had a large stock of each as they keep better than mono's.

Strangely enough for combi rigs I have switched back to Amnesia as I don't think laying on the lakebed a fluoro does make that much difference anyway, being on the lakebed, mixed in the bottom detritus; and as for fluorocarbon being invisible as a mainline, it shows up pretty well, as most get covered in plankton and particles rendering the index of being in water irrelevant in most cases, plus the lack of casting ability with it...

I should actually put an add in on this as I know that Tiger Line gets very good reviews, but I can't afford to spend close on £70 on a spool of 1000metres, and so not used it

The closest I actually got to a fluoro mainline was P-Line Floroclear, which is a fluoro coated mono from memory. I first (didn't) see it in a tub of water at 5Lakes, one of the early Carpin'on shows, so bought a couple of spools, and liked it as mainline and hooklink. Problem is that I think it is no longer easily available in the UK, so ended up importing it from USA E-bay sellers. Since then they seem to have twigged what it is worth, and upped the prices

saying that $32.98 converts to £23 ish so you could probably get a couple of 600 yard spools of 15lb from Amazon

• 2 weeks later...

I use the ESP ghost soft with an anti tangle sleeve and haven't a problem so far to my knowledge.

This is what i have Ross . Not too stiff so im confident it'll present pretty well over most lake beds provided its not TOO weedy .

The other mono hooklinks i use are Sufix's magic touch ( which i use a braided hair with ) and also a section of my Gardner Pro light mainline as its well supple .

Can anyone explain to me any benefits in using a reverse combi-rig & in which conditions ?