Yet another bite indication thread lol

newmarket

Question is, how much do you think a tight line through the water actually spooks the fish? I would love to see a video of this happening or whether they are even bothered by it. Was astonished the amount of movement and no indication from a slack line. Will definitely be using back leads from here onwards

Im of the opinion that a tight line cutting through the water probably will spook a carp should it bump into it .

Im equally of the opinion that that Carp is probably nowhere near your end tackle at the time so it wouldnt matter anyway .

Would you not recommend them Newmarket?

I hate em Oli , they create an angle in the line and , to me , negates the effect of the slack lining which imo always gives far superior bite indication with a running lead .

If i was fishing at distance ( for me :)) with a tight line then i have used the Korda flying backleads to try and minimise the liners near to my end tackle but i cant honestly say that it improved my results at all

Would you not recommend them Newmarket?

I hate em Oli , they create an angle in the line and , to me , negates the effect of the slack lining which imo always gives far superior bite indication with a running lead .

If i was fishing at distance ( for me :)) with a tight line then i have used the Korda flying backleads to try and minimise the liners near to my end tackle but i cant honestly say that it improved my results at all .

someone please explain to me how a slack line has better indication than a tight line?

surely if you have a slack line with all the complications that this entails (slight coils and contour following to mention but two) the spare line has to be pulled tighter before you get the slightest beep on your alarms, giving the carp long enough to do one.

having a 4oz housebrick for a bolt would also (imo) aid the dumping of the hook unless it was preternaturally sharp.

whereas a tight line gives a beep even if the bait is just nudged away from you and add in a heavy running lead and it really doesn't matter which way old Cyprinus dodges you get a signal.

also i feel that a tight line on a lake with a pretty even bottom you can add on a back lead with no detriment to bite indication, water acts as a lubricant on line so wet line thru a wet backlead clip = no resistance... again IMO.

Playing devils advocate a bit here ..... and just putting it out there . Could it not be the case that people who believe slack is better than tight for indication ,is solely down to the fact it doesn't show you when you get done by Mr carp as well as a tight line does .

I got done yesterday on my low stock lake fishing tight with a big lead , all so fish semi slack a lot of the time and I questioned whether I would of got any indication if I had of been yesterday.

It's a definite catch 22 both have there good points and bad . Who knows if I would of been fishing semi slack yesterday the fish might not of been so cautious and it might of screamed off .

anyway all if's and buts .... do feel it cost me a big fish yesterday though .

someone please explain to me how a slack line has better indication than a tight line?

surely if you have a slack line with all the complications that this entails (slight coils and contour following to mention but two) the spare line has to be pulled tighter before you get the slightest beep on your alarms, giving the carp long enough to do one.

having a 4oz housebrick for a bolt would also (imo) aid the dumping of the hook unless it was preternaturally sharp.

whereas a tight line gives a beep even if the bait is just nudged away from you and add in a heavy running lead and it really doesn't matter which way old Cyprinus dodges you get a signal.

also i feel that a tight line on a lake with a pretty even bottom you can add on a back lead with no detriment to bite indication, water acts as a lubricant on line so wet line thru a wet backlead clip = no resistance... again IMO.

A slack line doesn't help indication but imo a semi slack line does because you have a drop on your indicator there for it has more travel upwards with a tight line it has hardly any travel upwards so indicator can not do what it's there for which is move up and down. I don't no what you base your theory of fish using big leads to throw hooks threw many hours if watching fish feed over baited rigs the fish gets away with picking rigs up before the lead even moves no matter what lead set up used bit when they do make a a mistake a bolt rig nails them.

Carp arnt the most subtle of fish when hooked anyway reading some posts on here you would think carp hardly move when nailed which does happen occasionally but even so even a fish that doesn't give a vicious take still gives indication bolt rig or not. Generally carp takes are savage or mine are anyway we not fishing for bream or roach.

A slack line doesn't help indication but imo a semi slack line does because you have a drop on your indicator there for it has more travel upwards with a tight line it has hardly any travel upwards so indicator can not do what it's there for which is move up and down. I don't no what you base your theory of fish using big leads to throw hooks threw many hours if watching fish feed over baited rigs the fish gets away with picking rigs up before the lead even moves no matter what lead set up used bit when they do make a a mistake a bolt rig nails them.

Carp arnt the most subtle of fish when hooked anyway reading some posts on here you would think carp hardly move when nailed which does happen occasionally but even so even a fish that doesn't give a vicious take still gives indication bolt rig or not. Generally carp takes are savage or mine are anyway we not fishing for bream or roach.

• 1 month later...

TOM FOUND A SOLUTION TO THE PICK UPS WITHOUT THE LEAD MOVING IN U.W.8

I'VE APPLIED THIS TO MY FISHING WITH DEVISTATING RESULTS

I just read this, let ur line sink, many people forget about this, if you tighten up straight away I can guarantee you your line will be tight all the way to the lead,even lifting up the tubing! Leave it be for 10 mins, then let more line out mate, you'll be shocked at how much line you can get to sink, concealing your line is half of the battle

Recently I have been fishing on big pits, casting 80+ yards and I have been using back leads and winding them up tight however I haven't had as many fish as when I was using slack lines... Tight / semi slack definitely give you a better bite indication. But does the bow string line put them off/ scare /startle them? I think I prefer using slack lines, I don't need to know the second a carp moves my lead a mm. Instead I'll get a beep when a carp is nailed rather than bream humping my baits !

i couldn't agree more matey, sink the line  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

I am always amused by the amount of anglers fishing tight lines, i know it's a saying, but you could hang your washing on them & i sometimes feel we're in the minority by fishing slack lines. Each to his own i say!!!

Having seen any underwater filming makes you want to pin your business end to the lake bed. i currently use sub line, but am going to change for fluro due to the short range fishing i do. .

I remember once a lad was fishing and commented that he'd cast out and was being "done" after 5 minutes because his bobbin would rise to the top while he wasn't looking! I did explain to him that its his line sinking,wouldn't have any of it,he said its been doing it all day! Ha ha!

I was fishing maybe 40 yards out last week and I had a flying backlead to pin the end down and then a normal backlead just for playing any fish over my lines.

I allow it to sink, only for a minute or so and it seemed to be enough. I then tightened line just to the point where the rod tip starts to bend down and then slacken off so the rod is straight. Then put bobbins on and adjust either way so the rod tip isn't bent.

I think everything needs to be on the bottom as much as poss.