Snag Leader Knots

jontain

Evening guys,

What knot would you recommend for tying a snag leader (braid) to the mainline (mono).

With the sharp edges, she'll life and dense weed at my syndicate I have been advised to use a snag leader to prevent getting cut off again but as with any join will come weakness so a decent and strong knot is important.

Also I was mulling over this setup and want to fish it as safe as I can, any tips in regards to this would be great.

Evening guys,

What knot would you recommend for tying a snag leader (braid) to the mainline (mono).

With the sharp edges, she'll life and dense weed at my syndicate I have been advised to use a snag leader to prevent getting cut off again but as with any join will come weakness so a decent and strong knot is important.

Also I was mulling over this setup and want to fish it as safe as I can, any tips in regards to this would be great.

You do like a snag dontcha jon :)

Haha not as much as my mate! (who hasn't fished with me since his last escapade, think I may have upset him by telling him straight on what I thought of his attitude towards fish safety... whoops).

In all seriousness though this is not for snags such as over hanging branches but the need for a material that can take the abuse of the sharp gravel edges, the clams and mussels and the thick Canadian weed. My concern is the strength of this key knot as I loose sleep as it is if I loose a rig, even when I know it has been setup in the safest possible way. But a long length of braid even without the lead seems like it could do some serious harm in terms of tethering etc

They are what salmon fisherman use when fishing fast flowing shallow rivers with lots of rocks & sharp stones etc , matt finished and "slippy" .

I dont use leaders myself , no need , but 60lb fluorocarbon ?

Yeah mate imo jobs a good un AND virtually invisible .

Some may disagree but certainley something for you to consider .

The internets a big place :wink:

Try grey Drennan Greased Weasel

http://drennantackle.com/thelatest/drennan_product/greased-weasel-shock-leader/

The knot I use is to tie an overhand loop in the weasel, but don't pull tight, then through that loop push the mainline, then uni knot the mainline and now pull the overhand knot tight. Lick and spit, lubricate the uni knot and pull tight and down to the knot. Works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Any tips on how long to make the snag leader or does this depend on the situation?

I have heard somewhere (can't find where) that its 3 wraps of the spool which I get but is that 3 wraps of the spool and then the rest of the length of the rod or longer than that?

i prefer a longer leader, so that when the lead is in position to cast, you have 5-7 turns on the spool at least. 2 reasons. You can afford to cut the ends off the leader every now and again if it gets damaged, or just to re tie knots, and it means the knot will be on the spool when you are netting the fish. Nothing worse to unnerve you, than the sound of a leader knot going through the rings up and down just as you are getting a fish in the net!

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, phil dalts said:

I need help too, fished near an overhanging tree, got a bite, steamed off on a tight line through the branches. Started getting line back then felt that grating. Fish lost, rig, everything. Was not a happy bunny as bites are hard to come by on there! Any ideas????

Don't fish that close, (d'oh):shock:

Seriously I know it can't always be helped, it happens. In fact same happened to me a few weeks ago.

Because of snags and weed I actually try not to use leaders, I worry about the whole lot being tangled around the snags with no way to eject the rig, tethering the fish.

I have gone back to a long length of tubing over a line I know with decent abrasion resistance. Quick question, where did the line go? Chances are in most cases, your mainline/hooklink knit gave way under pressure, the usual sign is a curly wurly where it broke, and your stop knot or insulation tape marker is hardly out of place.

If it is the line, go back to a decent length of tubing.

It went above the knot, 3 ft of line was all rubbed and rough. I fish tight against snags, this was an island with a clear spot if around 2ft, hit it first time(lucky) 6 inches from bank. Felt right ya know as soon as I saw it go in, everything separated nicely. Was only out their 30 mins. Ironically it started as my left hand rod cast to a far tree but someone else rocked up so I moved it. Leap frogged my middle and thought that hole looks good. I'm a bit annoyed as I lost 2 that day, one to a hook pull in the pads and this one. I wouldn't of minded but there's some lumps in there, my 3.5tc had very very healthy bend in it and I was pulling like hell but it kept going. Think I may of missed a good one