problem?

wallyapp

hi guys ive started making rigs with korda n trap with size 8 fox arma points and since ive started using them i seem to be loosing alot of fish...been getting the runs as soon as a strike fish on but 5 sec later fish off tried few diff changes by make kd rigs n lost 3 out 3 on them i no am making the correct am woundering if its the hook as curses in but its baffled me

Fox Arma points are good hooks, used by a great many carpers with no problems at all.

I have a couple of packs of them, but funnily enough have never used them! Don't know why.

I tend to use Gardner Covert Muggas for my fishing.

I prefer the curved shank and feel confident that these are going to flip and give a good bottom lip hookhold without having to go the the bother of using shrink tube or aligners.

Personally, I wouldn't use anything else.

http://gardnertackle.co.uk/product/covert-mugga/

hi guys ive started making rigs with korda n trap with size 8 fox arma points and since ive started using them i seem to be loosing alot of fish...been getting the runs as soon as a strike fish on but 5 sec later fish off tried few diff changes by make kd rigs n lost 3 out 3 on them i no am making the correct am woundering if its the hook as curses in but its baffled me

Cant imagine its the hooks unless you have a dodgy batch ?

You say the strike ? What lead arrangement are you using ?

You could try a bigger hook which might help .

What hookbait are you using because the KD is designed for a critically balanced bait or a weighted-down-with-a-shot on the hair pop up .

Go back to basics . Simple knotless knot size 6 or 4 hook .

See if it helps ...

I seem to remember something about when whipping the knot on the fox hooks you needed to take the turns down level with the point of the hook before bringing it back through the eye to get it to work properly .

Thats good to know cos im planning on trying the ones i have .

Thanks john .

They WONT work with KD rigs then :)

Edited by newmarket

I seem to remember something about when whipping the knot on the fox hooks you needed to take the turns down level with the point of the hook before bringing it back through the eye to get it to work properly .

That's why I like Covert Mugga's. They come off at such an aggressive angle, they can't help but get a decent hook hold.

the set upi was using are korda hybrid clips with quick release leads .....also the hooks i was using were size 8 and to me i just have no confidence in them....andways i changed the hooks over to korda crank wide gape and did a 24 hour session this weekend and had 4 fish with no problems which one fish was a pb for me

this was the fish :)

pbcarp.jpg

Edited by wallyapp

No matter what we think, no rig is right for every water as some fish seem to be able to avoid getting hooked on our favourite rig, or sometimes the weed or bottom make up makes some ineffective.

Sometimes the answer can be as simple as changing hook pattern, sometimes it is a case of going from say, a plain knotless knot to a line aligner.

It can be a case of lengthening the hair or rig, or even changing hook link material.

Only ever change one thing at a time, otherwise you don't know which change worked.

Something else that most anglers don't think about, but can play as big a part, is get the fish feeding comfortably, otherwise a single bait may often be sussed on any rig.

• 4 weeks later...

No matter what we think, no rig is right for every water as some fish seem to be able to avoid getting hooked on our favourite rig, or sometimes the weed or bottom make up makes some ineffective.

Sometimes the answer can be as simple as changing hook pattern, sometimes it is a case of going from say, a plain knotless knot to a line aligner.

It can be a case of lengthening the hair or rig, or even changing hook link material.

Only ever change one thing at a time, otherwise you don't know which change worked.

Something else that most anglers don't think about, but can play as big a part, is get the fish feeding comfortably, otherwise a single bait may often be sussed on any rig.

How important do you think length of hooklink is when fishing with bog standard running lead set ups ?

I can understand chopping and changing hooklink lengths when using semi-fixed leads , trying to bring the weight of the lead into play , at the same time trying not to let the Carp use the weight to throw the hook etc .

But with running lead set ups , changing length of my hooklink IS something i do to try & ring the changes so to speak , and sometimes it even works .

I just dont understand why ? :)

How important do you think length of hooklink is when fishing with bog standard running lead set ups ?

I can understand chopping and changing hooklink lengths when using semi-fixed leads , trying to bring the weight of the lead into play , at the same time trying not to let the Carp use the weight to throw the hook etc .

But with running lead set ups , changing length of my hooklink IS something i do to try & ring the changes so to speak , and sometimes it even works .

I just dont understand why ? :)

If you take the lead as a fixed point, the amount of water the fish has to move around in without registering a bite is dependent on the length of the hooklink. This can work for you with very shy biting fish or against you, that is they may pick up your bait and reject it without you even knowing. Also theres weed and silt considerations, generally 8 inches is about right, but as you say ringing the changes can produce results.

Strangely enough, I've been playing around with hooklink lengths over beds of particles with running leads recently, and shorter hooklinks definitely scored more than longer ones.

Anything over 15centimetres was a no, seemingly blown and sussed, whereas less than that, I got a proper run. I didn't up to that point think that rig length played a major part with running leads, but that may only be over heavily particle that I need to go that short.

Strangely enough, I've been playing around with hooklink lengths over beds of particles with running leads recently, and shorter hooklinks definitely scored more than longer ones.

Anything over 15centimetres was a no, seemingly blown and sussed, whereas less than that, I got a proper run. I didn't up to that point think that rig length played a major part with running leads, but that may only be over heavily particle that I need to go that short.

Or it may just be the waters you've been fishing.

All part of the conundrum that keeps us coming back for more, and which means no one method is foolproof :wink: