Combi rig issue

Brookesy

Hi

I normally use a stripped braid combi rig and have been quite happy with it.

I used twotone braid which was ok but a new rig was needed after each fish as it is prone to fraying. When that ran out I switched to strip tease which I have heard good things about.

Tying the hair is no problem, the braid is very supple. I do have an issue with tying the coated end to a rig ring though as the coating strips off as I tighten the knot (palomar knot). This didn't happen with the twotone. Not sure if it weakens the rig but it bothers me and I don't trust it.

So this led me to attempting a fluro/braid combi rig. About 7" of fluro to 1" stripped braid to the hook. All went well until I got to tying the 2 together. I used an Albright knot which I normally have faith in. But with a 10 turn knot the braid just slips through.

I tried several times, with 15lb soft fluro, then with 20lb stiff rig. Any ideas what is going wrong? I'm not feeling the love for striptease at the moment and am thinking of binning it.

Thanks, Paul

Bin the striptease, i find it waxy and slippy,

I tie all my combis using the suffix range, camfusion & kameleon being the best, can't get the knot to slip.

It will palomar to a ring ok too, 

A little tip when using stiff fluro, i put a large sinker on a needle, double over the line and slide on an inch,

this holds the loop in place whilst you tied the albright,

Once the knot it tightened down and trimmed slide the sinker over it, trim tag off fluro, voila, neat as you like  :wink:

...A little tip when using stiff fluro, i put a large sinker on a needle, double over the line and slide on an inch,

Once the knot it tightened down and trimmed slide the sinker over it, trim tag off fluro, voila, neat as you like :wink:

Great tip 8)

A little tip when using stiff fluro, i put a large sinker on a needle, double over the line and slide on an inch,

Once the knot it tightened down and trimmed slide the sinker over it, trim tag off fluro, voila, neat as you like :wink:

Nice one. I use a sinker on this rig, but had not considered adding it at this stage. I will from now on though!

Three of my combi's using different materials, 

1/ suffix stealthskin to mouthrap

2/ 15lb kameleon to 25lb coated black silt

3/ camfusion to esp stiff

All using the sinker to mask the knot.

Bottom is a ring cut from a large eye swivel, palomar knot straight to the coated braid.

Get on the suffix, only £5-6 a spool too !

DSCF1329_zps5bc7c4df.jpg

I had an issue with the Albright knot, and knots are something I practise and practise until I get right, so for more than one to fail, meant that something wasn't right. It may have been the 2 hooklink materials not matching, as knots have different material preferences :wink:

I use a pretty lazy knot for my Combi-rigs, an overhand in the stiff material, and then with the braided material going through the overhand knot, I tie a Uni knot up the stiff material. This is the knot I use for shockleaders as well, so i know that they don't give. I will say however, after every fish, check your knots on a combi-link. I have lost fish when I was too lazy (stupid) to do do, and the hooklink knot gave way after the pressure of  landing a 20lb+ fish on it previous cast.

I've pinched this from the Spod and Marker Set-up thread in Past Hot Topics (my own post):

There is a Sticky in Rig Tying about tying various knots for Shockleaders, but I still recommend this knot for Braid to Mono:
knot.gif
Tie an Overhand knot in the Shockleader and then thread the braid through it, then do the loops around the Leader, wet and pull tight.

I couldn't comment on the right or wrong way to tie the Albright knot with some line confront of me but when I first used it I didn't think it would hold but after testing a fee rigs either the hook straightened the know at the hook snapped the Albright didn't break or slip I was very surprised!

Have you tried rigmarole hydrolink, I've not used it but looks to be a great material for combi rigs. It's an opposite to a coated braid, flurocarbon inner with a dynema braid outer. I'll definatley get some on my next trip to the tackle shop!

Three of my combi's using different materials, 

1/ suffix stealthskin to mouthrap

2/ 15lb kameleon to 25lb coated black silt

3/ camfusion to esp stiff

All using the sinker to mask the knot.

Bottom is a ring cut from a large eye swivel, palomar knot straight to the coated braid.

Get on the suffix, only £5-6 a spool too !

DSCF1329_zps5bc7c4df.jpg

Make you right on the sufix mate :)