Knot choice ?

blanksalot

I've never tied this before so noddy question time  :oops:

The instructions on the website i found this on says " use a suitable knot"  :confused:  which is ..what, 

blood, granny, half hitch, rolling hitch, japanese bight, etc etc,

one things for sure you don't want it to slip on the hook , so answers on a postcard or reply below  :mrgreen:

775x580_zpsfc6562cd.jpg

Havent i seen a similar rig somewhere where , the normal very long hair comes off the hook at the same point only instead of tying the hair directly to the hook , its knotless knotted and held in place by shrink tubing and/or a rig ring ? Does that make sense ?

Havent i seen a similar rig somewhere where , the normal very long hair comes off the hook at the same point only instead of tying the hair directly to the hook , its knotless knotted and held in place by shrink tubing and/or a rig ring ? Does that make sense ?

Yeah, this is almost the modern take of this classic rig, however using a light line hair from the bend of the hook, without the hair being a continuation of the hooklink which seems to make it stiffer, the light, long hair makes the point of the hook "heavy" and the hook is more unstable on ejection. Its similar to the very early hairs during their inception with lenny middleton the knotless knot/continuation of hooklink-hair is a relatively recent concept, the hairs were often lighter hairs tied seperatley on to the eye or shank of the hook. As the hooklink of the time was mono, dental floss hairs on mono links were one of the first hair rigs i ever used in the mid 90's

The "hook bend hair" is relatively forgotten about as being "old" but it can work. It looks pretty "hookable" i think with a curveshanked hook, this would flip over and dig in really well.

:rolleyes:

I know exactly what you mean tim, but this rig is usually tied with mono or fluro (look closely at the pic,eye end) so hence  the need for a seperate hair  :wink:

well i may have invented a new knot for this rig , i'll call it the hacksaw knot, 'cause that's what you need to remove it  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Just looks too much of a pain to tie tbh jay , i'd be inclined to just make a hair from 2/3lb mono and tie it off the eye kd style .

All that old bull about making the hook heavier :)

Arent we supposed to be making everything lighter or "balanced" to fool these old riggy carp :) ?

No no no... We need to unbalance everything now! Lol!! The carp are used to balanced set ups... I have used this rig to good effect on the past.

:rolleyes:

ssshhhhhhhhhh...godamnit, i wish i'd never posted that pic, everyone will be bagging up on it now  :P

* Hacksaw knot* all rights reserved ○

Just looks too much of a pain to tie tbh jay , i'd be inclined to just make a hair from 2/3lb mono and tie it off the eye kd style .

All that old bull about making the hook heavier :)

Arent we supposed to be making everything lighter or "balanced" to fool these old riggy carp :) ?

The rig in question is just fine as it is. No buoyancy/balancing required whatsoever. Edited by hawkman

How did you do with it Dal? I've never seen it before...

I used to catch with it Pete. Wouldn't say I did amazingly well, but I was only an apprentice and a kilo of boilies cost me an arm and a leg so only two or three freebies went in with it  :oops:

I always had the float rod out as well which was my man source of fishing at the time.

I saved for months to buy a carbon composite rod and a reel because I wanted to try carp fishing and then a kilo of boilies had to last about 6-8 weeks.

Looks like the original hair concept, only with a braided hair instead of the original mono methinks.

A method that is now relatively unused, and I know of very few people who tie on their hairs now, although I do have a few secret edges for that.

Light mono, Cotton, excellent hair material, as is dental floss, but the secret is rod whipping thread :wink:

I just used to use a blood knot and lighter tag the end or actually *** tag (Don't think about it) so I didn't melt the hair material down past the knot as I was prone to do :oops:

Advantages, you can play around with hair length without needing to tie up a whole new rig.

Disadvantage over knotless knot, fiddly to tie if you are all fingers and thumbs.

Another method I would use was to tie the hair material into the eye of the hook, and then whip down the hookshank to just above the bend, fix with half hitch and then tie the loop at the end of the hair. It camouflages the hook, the theory of mine being that a matt finish is not so shiny as the bright hook.