The combi-hair!

theobeeus

This is my own invention, I like to think, lol:

The rig has a combi HAIR.. half fluoro, half braid.. the hair can't tangle this way.. lol, very fiddly to tie, but even though to avoid hair tangles people just say: 'use a nugget or bag' (which works fine of course), I like it for my helicopter rigs as copters don't like a pva nugget or bag on the hook, for some reason this makes them more tangly.. and this is a way of avoiding the dreaded and common hair tangle

A while ago I came up with the idea of tying a hair to the tags of fire extinguishers tags, or even the little tag that often holds labels to clothing or other items, and using the pointed end to push into my bait, a stiff broom bristle could also work.

It sounds really awkward to tie, but is actually easier than it sounds;

Put your hooklink material through the eye of the hook, and then tie the material onto the tag end. You then have a stiff bit at the end.

Then attach the hook with a knotless knot so you then have a stiff and supple hair that you can attach the bait to.

I will try to come up with a pic, but I'm not sure when that will be as I will have to go back to old fashioned methods :shock::?:roll::wink:

Too fiddly for my sausage fingers, i've just tried it :lol:

I've tried similar using shrinktube which works ok, even leaving the coating on some braids works but fiddly tying the hair,

how about this for the less dexterous ?

DSCN0267_zps5917d137.jpg

That still looks a tad tangly mate

My idea will follow in a post or two

I've tried similar using shrinktube which works ok, even leaving the coating on some braids works but fiddly tying the hair,

DSCN0267_zps5917d137.jpg

This is looking interesting . I take it thats a bottom bait ?

That rubber maggot rig aint an interesting rig, it is still tangly.. Lose the rubber maggot, you shouldn't be buying gimmicky rubbish like that anyway in my opinion.

The point of my thread here is that what I was talking about was a combi hair, i.e a combi hair!!

The far end of the hair is hair braid, and the bit nearer the hook is stiff material.. this stops the rig tangling.

It takes a very fiddly albright knot done with as short a samson section as is humanly possible. I cannot post pics up because my camera is bust. Sorry.

That rubber maggot rig aint an interesting rig, it is still tangly.. Lose the rubber maggot, you shouldn't be buying gimmicky rubbish like that anyway in my opinion.

The point of my thread here is that what I was talking about was a combi hair, i.e a combi hair!!

The far end of the hair is hair braid, this stops the rig tangling. It takes a very fiddly albright knot done with as short a samson section as is humanly possible. I cannot post pics up because my camera is bust. Sorry.

firstly, buying "gimmicky rubbish" as you put it might just buy you a bite when all else fail :roll: . how maby fish get caught each year on plastic? shed loads :wink: . as for your combi hair why dont you just take a coated braid and strip the part on the hair you want to be supple. :idea:. hey presto combi hair :wink:

The far end of the hair is hair braid, this stops the rig tangling. It takes a very fiddly albright knot done with as short a samson section as is humanly possible. I cannot post pics up because my camera is bust. Sorry.

firstly, buying "gimmicky rubbish" as you put it might just buy you a bite when all else fail :roll: . how maby fish get caught each year on plastic? shed loads :wink: . as for your combi hair why dont you just take a coated braid and strip the part on the hair you want to be supple. :idea:. hey presto combi hair :wink:

I don't like plastic, don't use it, and don't rate it. So I wouldn't bother flogging a dead horse mate. Answer this: what good is plastic on a lost rig in the reeds, dangling away and tempting fish for 100 years until they swallow the rig, rather than a real food bait that at least will dissapear after a few months?

And my idea is based on improving the basic bait seperation mechanics of a STIFF rig, not some airy fairy overpriced semi supple angler catching coated braid rubbish :wink:

I must say having the jump down the throat attitude isn't going to do you any favours,

As for you rig question, a simple size 11 ring swivel with the bait pulled over half of the swivel gives total separation between hook and bait and is best used with a balanced bait to negate the weight of the swivel.

DSCN0267_zps5917d137.jpg

yes mate , tie one, but only if you advocate using fake baits :shock:

psss have you seen those maggot balls, wowsers :lol:

DSCN0267_zps5917d137.jpg

yes mate , tie one, but only if you advocate using fake baits :shock:

psss have you seen those maggot balls, wowsers :lol:

Yep i find those interesting too . So much so that i'm waiting for mine to arrive in the post

If I wanted to tie a rig like first suggested in this thread, I would look at using hydrolink. Art ripping all the outer braid off baring that what you want the length of the hair to be. With this bit, pull out the inner section and tie your loop for the bait stop. Position the hair so that you have the whole hair covered in the braid with only half of it with the inner section left in. Then whip your knot less knot on trapping the baid in the turns. You will be left with a stiff hook link and a hair that acts as you first described. Even less fiddly knots to do and all using one hook link material.

I have never done this or even thought about it before so don't know if the theory would work in practice. I can't see any reason it wouldn't.

As a foot note, there is no reason to rubbish someone's idea. It might not work or might sound stupid to you but for others, it may be the answer.

I have used less and less plastic for a whole now. I still use tic tacs on chods and zigs mind. But if I want a flash of colour to tip a bait, I now use mini hell raisers from cc Moore. These are unflavored so can use my liquids to customise them to what I feel right with the bottom bait.

As said on a previous reply, why not just use some pva string or tape to tie the hair back to the shank?

That would be a choice high on the list for me. The original poster wanted to have a rig that didn't require pva though. For some reason, he doesn't like it?

There is one problem with using pva tape though. What happens if the rig gets rejected? There still may be a chance of a tangle. That's why I like to use a rig that can reset. This, in my case, has me using a pop up, wafter or very slow sinking bottom bait most of the time.

I think this resetting business is why lots of people see there catch rate increase when chod or hinged stiff rigging it. They may have been getting pick ups before but when the rig was getting ejected, it was left not 'fishing'?

Hydro link Is a really good product, weather you use hydrolink, coated braid or just tie the hair up with pva string ? All them methods do the same job, I certainly would not be messing about tying tiny amounts of flourocarbon to braid, it would not only frustrate me but with the products available to tye a rig up with a combi hair there is just no need to mess about doing it that way :D

Or you could use coated braid.
ive already suggested that but was quite quickly shot down by the original poster :roll: . he will probably tell us that hooks are no good next :lol: . that said he comes across as quite confident so im wondering why he asked the question in the first place :? . probably trying to get a bite on here cos he dont get any down his lake :lol::lol: