Board of the rigs

ianain

Been going through my rig board and had a few thoughts on the subject. I'm asking as I've only recently bought one (less than six months.) I have normally tied my rigs on the bank. I'm trying to improve my fishing hence looking at the way I fish, this forum has given me loads to take on board (sorry) and so I am gradually putting this stuff into action.

Labelling:

Does anyone label each rig with hook size etc. I put the line breaking strain down but didn't mention anything else as I thought I would remember :oops: Needless to say when looking at it, I can't tell what hook size it is without going through several packets of hooks to find the exact one. Although I use a hook to suit the circumstances, I need to know which to replace.

If you do label – how do you label them up as I have stuck a small piece of sticker to the top of the pin with the line bs as there doesn't seem to be much room for much more extravagance.

Renewing rigs:

How long do you leave a rig in the box before replacing it? Although it is UV protected, the line is exposed and would dry out after time. (also see below:)

Moisturising Knots:

I wet my knots with saliva, does this

a) Increase the chance of the hook rusting

or

b) Present problems once the saliva has dried out

Because the mono or braid will absorb some of the moisture, it will dry out creating expansion and contraction on the knot. I do feel dumb asking this, but, I have had a couple of my whippings come lose, which may well have been me when tying them; I just don't know.

Has anyone tried using oil (vegetable etc..)to wet their knots? I can't remember where I saw this. Also if using oil would it go off?

How many:

Do you tie one or more of each rig?

Pre-baiting:

Do you pre-tie baits to rigs?

- And counter balance them at home?

Variety:

How many types of mono, braid etc.. do you use in your rig box?

How many types and sizes of hook?

Do you use a single rig box for particular things?

e.g. one box for 15lb bs, one box for 130mm (5 inches) lengths etc..

I know there will be no singular answer to any of the questions, I would like to hear of your experiences.

I've used the term 'rig' but mostly mean 'hook-length'.

Each to their own but you seem to be over complicating thing's way too much, how do you ever decide what to put on your rod lol?

For me it's pretty simple, choose one rig that your confident in and that cover's you for most of your fishing, bar zigs and surface fishing. You can usually adapt the one rig for different need's, like length of it or length of hair to suit feeding situation or lake bottom.

As for how long to keep them i chuck mine as soon as the hook's on it's way out. I don't put much thought into the moisture of the knot etc but iv'e never had a problem so don't see the need.

If you have that many different types of rigs that you cant remember what's what then you have too many rig's tied up i think

My rig board is a bit of a mess. But generally I have the following tied up:

Short braid rigs for bag work.

Hinged stiff rigs for pop ups.

Combi links for general use (boilie/ maggot).

I have a variety of hook sizes in there as I match my hook to my bait size. In the summer I was using a size 2 with a 35mm bait. My hinged pop-ups are between an 8 and a 12 as I tend to use them in winter as singles.

If the hook is still sharp- it goes on the rig board and I'll use it again if the need arises. After about 6-9 months I'll empty it and bin everything (except swivels).

I tie up my chods at home and keep them in an old rubber bead packet in my box. All other rigs are tied as and when I need them on the bank. They are always simple and not much variation so easy to do. Hinged stif rig is just a boom with a chod section added. Bottom baits are either on a standard coated braid or a braid for solid bags. Pop ups the same with a shot added.

I tie up my chods at home and keep them in an old rubber bead packet in my box. All other rigs are tied as and when I need them on the bank. They are always simple and not much variation so easy to do. Hinged stif rig is just a boom with a chod section added. Bottom baits are either on a standard coated braid or a braid for solid bags. Pop ups the same with a shot added.

I pretty much do the same except I keep my choddys on my marker float tube.

Most of my fishing is solid bag work. So got a few short braided rigs ready tied in my wallet, if not fishing a bag then i'l be using a chod which are all tied up on rig winders ready to go if needed.

Each to their own, but just take a step back and re evaluate your situation, you might realise that your looking into things abit too deeply and are worrying over nothing.

I've got 2 rig bins and a rig wallet.

The rig wallet contains pop-up rigs, which I can remember every single hook pattern and size, although it is pretty easy to remember B175 :wink:

I try to keep my rigs as simple as possible, so it is normally a case of seeing D-rig on a size 8, and then what the hooklink is made from. I do have a few hinged pop-up rigs for very buoyant baits, but most are on stripped back coated braid.

As for the 2 rig bins, they contain my standard rigs, either on braid coated and uncoated or combi-rigs. I gave up worrying about hook size, and use a size 6 for almost all of my bottom or snowman presentations.

When I change a rig I just tie up a batch at any time the same as previous rigs. The rigs are all pretty much the same length as I don't think that rig length matters so much with running leads.