connecting flourocarbon to mono mainline???

margin_master

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Why is a 20lb fluoro leader dangerous? I fish a 30lb fluoro leader tied to my 12lb mainline with the albright knot it sails through the rings and you can cut the tags right down, pulled 20lb carp out of thick canadian no problem.

Adding any leader to your mainline increases the danger and risk of tethering to fish.

In fact if you fish a water with any weed or snags, then you should accept that you can't use a leader, even for maximum distance casting, and fish closer.

I'm actually getting to the stage of believing that fishing with a leader should not be part of carp fishing. The only place that a leader should be used is for absolute maximum distance casting, but only in large clear waters.

A leader increases the chance of rigs being unable to eject off the leader should it get twisted or even over the knot. If you do suffer a break-off, and the line gives way, then when you are putting tackle under stress, the weak point has been shifted towards the rod tip. You may be able to tie a perfect knot, but the first weak point nearly always gives, and that weak point is the mainline to leader knot. The result, you have lost fish (maybe), rig, leader, lead etc. But now as the line cracks back around itself, it may have birds nested, and so preventing ejection. If you leave a leader with baited rig etc in the lake, that rig is fishing until the bait or hook rots away.

Also in most cases, a leader does absolutely no use whatsoever in disguising your end tackle.

A tight line will allow vibrations and sound to travel down it, whether mono, fluoro etc.

So using an apparently clear line (or supposedly invisible underwater), does not necessarily mean it can't be detected. In fact even underwater, fluorocarbon will be visible in certain conditions, it passes a shadow over gravel, sand or clay (!), and can be seen along the same lines as a mirage. Over weed it may not be noticed, but then we come back to the tackle risk.

The best way to disguise your line is to fish it slack, or running along the lakebed. In fact at much above 40metres, I reckon the line will be running over the lakebed anyway as it naturally drops down from the tips in an arc.

Heres a few of my comments and ideas about the use of shock leaders, I cant see a problem with shock leaders myself as long as they are set up in the right way, obviously the use of drop off lead systems are the best way around a safe rig with a shock leader, but we better not go down the road of dropping leads again.

The trouble is every ones casting is different and yes you should

fish within a distance your comfortable at fishing safely , the only way is to ban shock leaders, lead core, etc and impose a 15lbs minimum breaking strain line on all waters. But until this happens a lot of anglers want that edge and to cast that bit further than anyone is a big edge at times, and im one of those guys, its some thing i personally take pride in, to cast and bait up accurately and consistently over 100 yards.What i do see alot of is anglers cracking off on the cast because they are using 12lbs line or less without a shock leader thus leaving lots of unattached baited rigs in the water.

My personal set up for long range fishing is to always use a tapered shock leader when im casting and i cannot fault the ESP Tapered shock leaders 15lbs-40lbs with this set up i use power pro 40lbs braided mainline and with the drop off inline lead system i think it is a faultless set up, i always fish bow string tight lines at long range and with a tight clutch, i think slack line fishing has its place but only at short to medium range in very clear flat bottomed lakes, i personally think that fishing slack at medium to long range where there is any sort of weed or undulation in a lake is putting yourself at a disadvantage to landing fish, firstly the carp has ample time to find refuge in snags and weed, secondly the slack line approach is always going to allow carp to generate a lot of speed and momentum which is then difficult to slow a running carp down in time before disaster strikes.

One final note on shock leaders is the advantage in having that extra strong piece of line at the end for added abrasion resistance against gravel bars and zebra mussels etc which can also stop the loss off rigs and fish, as this was originally about the use of florocarbon leaders i would love to see a tapered one on the market

Don't get me wrong, where there is a need for distance casting, then the use of a shockleader will mean that you can reach the fish.

Yet in any water with snags or weeds in then the leader should be dispensed with.

I used to fish Suffolk Water Park a fair bit, and that is very weedy, some serious gravel bars, more flint than gravel, and some large swan mussels.

I was using a set-up that incorporated leadcore, to (hopefully) prevent the bars wearing through the line, but the leadcore on playing a fish actually went round the end of the bar, and cut off above the leader, leaving the fish trailing a rig and leader, and probably a lead as well.

On the same note, I also retrieved a load of line, attached to a leader, complete with lead on helicopter set-up and rig, that had been cracked off.

That same water has also lost fish that have been tethered up when the leaders have caught up in the weed.

It is one of the reasons that I started thinking about safety and removing leadcore and leaders from my set-up.

I think the main concern with leaders is they can still tether a fish, regardless if a lead is attached or not, granted they are more dangerous with the lead attached and yes for extreme casting maybe a leader is necessary in some circumstances. Obviously the longer the leader the more likely it will get caught up on something. Which is why i emphasized the question, do you really need one? :)

• 4 years later...

Surely a leader can be as short as a piece of leadcore? I'm thinking of using some instead of tubing, just a meter or so. With a semi fixed running lead I really cannot see any problems. Taking it to the worst scenario the fish has a meter of line, and hooklink attached. Fishing barbless as I do mostly it won't be around for long.  Explain the harm or difference, the line with any rig could break in any place? 

4 minutes ago, Dicky123 said:

Surely a leader can be as short as a piece of leadcore? I'm thinking of using some instead of tubing, just a meter or so. With a semi fixed running lead I really cannot see any problems. Taking it to the worst scenario the fish has a meter of line, and hooklink attached. Fishing barbless as I do mostly it won't be around for long.  Explain the harm or difference, the line with any rig could break in any place? 

Nowt wrong with that IMO fella.

• 1 month later...
On 21 March 2017 at 15:19, Dicky123 said:

The big question is are there any snags in the lake, branches or roots?

It may only be a metre, but I have seen a carp swimming in circles around a branch in the water; over a period of 20minutes the carp swam 3 times around it, in the same direction, each circuit just mouthing the bottom in 2 or 3 places.

BrackenSnags.jpg

Not saying it's definitely going to happen, but if that fish had even a short leader attached it may well have tethered.

On this lake I have retrieved goodness knows how many leaders with leads still on lead clips, some with bait still attached, and the retrieved tackle came in with tiny twigs, which were all that had 'caught up' on it. There is a pic on here.

Onw of the best looking fish was caught with some very ripped and torn scales and flanks.