new rigs

tfg2

Every rig that is presented in the media will have a certain amount of people following trend, one rig may work on one water then not so much on another, thats where its down to us to decide what will better suit our chosen venues.

Yeah, a standard knotless knot hair rig will catch you fish....but there are many situations where a more specific rig will catch you more.

I do see your point though. There are a lot of peeps who will chuck a rig out because they saw a 'pro' do it in a mag or on the tele without really thinking about why they're doing it and if it really suits their water and situation. But if you think about the rig and how it works more and fish it effectively then I think the vast majority of them will give you the edge over the old-style standard hair rig.

Yeah, a standard knotless knot hair rig will catch you fish....but there are many situations where a more specific rig will catch you more.

I do see your point though. There are a lot of peeps who will chuck a rig out because they saw a 'pro' do it in a mag or on the tele without really thinking about why they're doing it and if it really suits their water and situation. But if you think about the rig and how it works more and fish it effectively then I think the vast majority of them will give you the edge over the old-style standard hair rig.

I don't think that there are many adaptations of the basic hair rig that will catch you any more fish than the standard hair rig, but there are a couple of useful tweaks :wink:

Many anglers say that they are fishing a hair rig, yet the truth is that they are fishing the bait so tight to the hook shank that they may as well be fishing a shank mounted bait, or the hair is so short with minimal gap that the hair is not being fished as it was originally worked out by Kevin Maddocks, Lennie Middleton et al.

In most cases simply by lengthening the hair then results can be improved. Sure it takes confidence to fish a bait 25mm or more away from the hook if you have been fishing the bait tight to the hook, but it does work :wink:

liamclose Posted: 18th Nov 2012 17:41 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ill use the same rigs pretty much everyware i go the only thing that changes to suit paticular venue is the length of the rig, the material used changes depending on water clarity and snags but apart from those few things my rigs wont change i have complete confidence in the rig i use! Not a chod in site!

I use pretty much the same rigs for all of my fishing, but I fish a set-up that I can alter the hair length to suit my fishing. It may mean that I have a rig ring on the hook shank, but it is not necessarily fished on the "blowback" principle, but more so I have an easy attachment to change the hair length to suit.

As it stands, I also think that with how or where I attach a "stop bead" or mini float stop on the hook, when the bait is sucked in the hook point drops naturally into position for going into the bottom lip.

Always have a good gap between my bait and hook. I tweak the size of my hair to the size of the bait and hook im useing. I catch alot of fish with out a hair at all in the summer. I dont do much sitting behind the rods in the summer unless the conditions are bang on!

As for useing different rigs thats a confidence thing i dont swap and change because im confident with my simple rigs and i think they will catch from any lake i fish. Dont want to blow my own trumpet here and dont want to come across as big headed but ive been top rod on every lake ive knuckled down on over the last ten years but its not because im better than any one else or rigs. Its because of the time ive put in and the effort i put in to locating the fish! If some one is always changeing there rigs its must be because there not getting the resualts they want from there fishing but rigs are useally not the problem its useally lack of time or there not getting on the fish. Alot of people are fooled into thinking that famouse anglers just turn up and catch big fish within hours because thats how it comes across on telly. But if the point on st johns gets shut for a few days and pre baited my nan could catch with in hours. What rig you drop amongst them fish doesnt really matter its going to go!

I stay mobile use quality bait and put the time in rigs become secondry when you get location right as does bait to fair imo!

Guest keenook

Most of the "BEST" rigs, have multiple and expensive componant parts! :idea:

Agreat friend of mine said that we ( he & I ) are in the rated 3% that the tackle companys are not targeting, makes you think?

Agreat friend of mine said that we ( he & I ) are in the rated 3% that the tackle companys are not targeting, makes you think?

Thats spot on. There times when a free lined bait will outfish any rig hands down, but how often does free lineing get coverd on these programmes. Very little because you only need a hook thats to cheap.

Not that im complaining because the last thing i need is free lineing to become popular its a massive edge that very few people do. Let them think the latest wonder rig is the way forward on hot sunny july afternoon! :wink:

Guest keenook

Thats spot on. There times when a free lined bait will outfish any rig hands down, but how often does free lineing get coverd on these programmes. Very little because you only need a hook thats to cheap.

Not that im complaining because the last thing i need is free lineing to become popular its a massive edge that very few people do. Let them think the latest wonder rig is the way forward on hot sunny july afternoon! :wink:

On a prime spot 1m out on a silt patch in 2.5" of water!

Thats the one! :wink:

Guest keenook

Thats the one! :wink:

Old Skool lives on!

2 and 1/2 inches of water??? Sticklebacks??

Whoops Typo''''''''Foot''' :oops:

I never got on with ' and " for feet and inches either :lol::wink:

I always get it muddled up - mm are much easier to work with. Although I do switch between the two!

Depths and rod lengths in feet and inches, rig lengths in milli or centimetres.

Fish weights and breaking strains in lbs and ounces (or lbs only in my case), yet most other weights in kilos.

Confused?

I sure am :?:shock::lol:

2 and 1/2 inches of water??? Sticklebacks??

Whoops Typo''''''''Foot''' :oops:

I never got on with ' and " for feet and inches either :lol::wink:

I always get it muddled up - mm are much easier to work with. Although I do switch between the two!

Hate working in metric, luckily I very rarely use metric at work, mainly all old school :)

Working in Thou's instead of microns for me is so much easier to interpretate and imagine its actual size in my head.

• 1 month later...

I mention my rig earlier in the thread, about the sliding ring on the hook shank.

I came up with the idea after thinking about a totally free hair rig, and remembering a Rob Maylin picture years ago with a revolving hair, but the hair was above the hook eye on a ring, and could slide from a distance set on the hooklink, basically a pop-up rig. What I wanted was a set-up that I could use with a bottom bait, a pop-up or a snowman (critically balanced), using the pop-up to counter the bottom bait or weight of the hook.

Since then I have used this set up with a combi rig, a braided or coated and stripped braid hooklink and it has worked on a number of waters.

I'm not sure if it is my own rig, but it is my adaptation; I don't recall seeing anyone else use the idea, although I have no doubt that someone will lay claim to it :P

:33lbPBMantisRig.jpg

The rig pictured did actually have a snowman set-up, but when I retrieved it with fish attached the bottom bait had come off.

I mention my rig earlier in the thread, about the sliding ring on the hook shank.

I came up with the idea after thinking about a totally free hair rig, and remembering a Rob Maylin picture years ago with a revolving hair, but the hair was above the hook eye on a ring, and could slide from a distance set on the hooklink, basically a pop-up rig. What I wanted was a set-up that I could use with a bottom bait, a pop-up or a snowman (critically balanced), using the pop-up to counter the bottom bait or weight of the hook.

Since then I have used this set up with a combi rig, a braided or coated and stripped braid hooklink and it has worked on a number of waters.

I'm not sure if it is my own rig, but it is my adaptation; I don't recall seeing anyone else use the idea, although I have no doubt that someone will lay claim to it :P

:33lbPBMantisRig.jpg

The rig pictured did actually have a snowman set-up, but when I retrieved it with fish attached the bottom bait had come off.

Hi Nick can you run me through the pluses of this set up and reasoning behind it in more detail ?

Thanks Phil 8)

nick, do you think, (or anyone else), think that the ring may not play as much as a part in the mechanics with a long hair compared to a short hair, i can see the movement of the ring being necessary on short almost shanked baits...but not so sure on longer( i know a bait is missing :wink: ) just a general question :?::idea:

33lbPBMantisRig.jpg

Hi Nick can you run me through the pluses of this set up and reasoning behind it in more detail ?

Thanks Phil 8)

beanz Posted: 20th Dec 2012 14:41 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nick, do you think, (or anyone else), think that the ring may not play as much as a part in the mechanics with a long hair compared to a short hair, i can see the movement of the ring being necessary on short almost shanked baits...but not so sure on longer( i know a bait is missing ) just a general question

The idea behind it was I knew the lake I was moving onto was fairly well pressured and had seen a lot of anglers, therefore a 'basic' rig could possibly have been sussed, especially if I couldn't get much bait out near the hookbait. I wanted a rig that I could use with or without bait around it. I was pretty positive that most anglers fished either bottom baits or pop-ups, and didn't bother putting much bait around the hookbait. The rig ring was to give total movement to the bait up and down the shank.

I wanted a longer hair for the reason of not much bait going in, and highly fished for fish may well have gotten used to short hairs.

Longer hair with a rig ring, even with an 18mm bait missing, I think that the bait was 15mm or so from the hookshank, and the ring gives total movement, and can be sucked in without twisting around the shank which may happen with a shank tied hair.

Is it an advantage? I seemed to pick up a lot of fish that weren't being caught regularly. I think on my first season on the lake out of 9 trips I had something in the region of 15 carp, compared to local anglers who had on average 10 carp, on more nights than I was fishing.

More than anything, it was my rig; I had the advantage of I could tie on a fresh hair without having to cut the rig down as I would if I had used a knotless knot or tied the hair on to the eye and then covered it with rig tubing.

edited due to error of image quote NG

Every fish has been well hooked in the bottom lip. Since using it I have had a total of 3 hookpulls and some of them could be down to me putting too mch pressure on to keep fish away from snags.

I've also had to cut the hookshank on a couple it has been so well hooked in the bottom lip.