stop tangles

lupouluke

using a lead clip system im finding that im getting tangles when i bring the bait in sometimes. Using 5 inch hooklength 0.75m leadcore 2oz leads size 10 hooks with pop up corn on a short blow back hair.

Am I doing something wrong ? if not what can i do to make sure there not tangling on the cast ?

Oops he used the "L" word.......... Wait for it :?

Yeah I'm using it safely i have cut down the lead clip to its minimum length and I'm dropping the lead on every take. I am using lead core because it suits the situation that I am fishing.

And yeah I was trying feathering the line. Either it's not working for me or I'm not quite getting to grips with it.

Feather line down, touch the spool with your finger as the lead hits the water, this will throw the rigs forward, as the lead travels through the water slowly lift the rod in the air, keeping the mainline semi tight, pva sticks help but you still need to featherthe cast down as i have said, i use braided hook lengths and always use this method to stop tangles even with a pva stick on.

Oops he used the "L" word.......... Wait for it :?

Yeah I'm using it safely i have cut down the lead clip to its minimum length and I'm dropping the lead on every take. I am using lead core because it suits the situation that I am fishing.

And yeah I was trying feathering the line. Either it's not working for me or I'm not quite getting to grips with it.

Just because you're dropping the lead doesn't necessarily make it safe. :wink:

andy52 Posted: 7th Oct 2012 15:39 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops he used the "L" word.......... Wait for it

A leadcore set-up with a pendant or inline set-up is still a risk to fish, and it only needs a length of 15cm I reckon for it to be able to snag up and potentially tether a fish.

Also leadcore means that should the fish be left trailing a rig, the weight of the leadcore will hold the hook in position, preventing the hook being ejected (rehooking), which carp can do with no weight attached on a normal rig.

Leadcore is also thrown forward on the feathering of the cast, meaning that the mainline will be pulled and twist around it increasing the chance of a tangle.

Dump the leadcore (or any leader), and fish tubing if you have to, or go naked. PVA then reduces the risk of tangles, be it a stringer, bag or stick.

so you think the leadcore is my problem with the tangles. and yeah I'm aware of the downsides of lead core. first few sessions the line was getting caught up in snags before even getting chance to get takes. and when i added the leadcore it seemed to stop. but if i can get around this then im very willing. I have some lead clips i will try fishing it naked. hopefully fethering the lind with out the leadcore will help.

so you think the leadcore is my problem with the tangles. and yeah I'm aware of the downsides of lead core. first few sessions the line was getting caught up in snags before even getting chance to get takes. and when i added the leadcore it seemed to stop. but if i can get around this then im very willing. I have some lead clips i will try fishing it naked. hopefully fethering the lind with out the leadcore will help.
no its not the reason for your tangles but imho i would NEVER use it with lead clips. thats a different thread though :wink:

I don't think leadcore cause's tangles, in fact tangles are 90% down to the angler, you just have to learn how to cast and how to feel certain presentation components down, im a strong believer you get the feel of certain rigs and know instinctively when they have tangled or not.