Sturgeon fishing in Vancouver

cobleyn

Thought you may be interested in my latest trip. I flew out to Vancouver a couple of weeks back with the intention of catching some huge Sturgeon. It has to be said the fishing was much tougher than I imagined and based on conversations with all of the guides out there its the toughest they've ever seen it.

We fished the Fraser for 7 days and blanked on three of them. Some days we only bagged a fish per day. Its a long way to go and a lot of cash for such hard fishing- But what can you ----its fishing!!!

I was quite prescriptive with the guide that we were there to catch bigger fish, so we avoided the downstream areas where the juveniles hang out.

Fantastic country, such pleasant people- great service culture- really friendly...some of the best steak I've ever eaten.

We saw seals attacking salmon in the shallows. Vultures and eagles circling above us. One day we had a seal surface 2 feet from the back of the sturgeon we had at the side of the boat- eye us up and then slowly drift off.

On day 2 we had a 600lb fish crash at the side of the boat.

Tackle was standard overseas kit- 50lb class (ish) rods with quite soft tips (They can give quite soft bites), 100lb braid with 200lb hooklinks. Hook were Gamakatsu 8/0's.

They are proper fighting machines too- proper pulled my arms off and they take to the air frequently too.

Sorry my write up is a bit shoddy- to be honest I'm still a bit gutted. If anyone has got any questions on it- or if you fancy some more info - just shout. Happy to share any thoughts on the experience.

I'll post some photos up in the next hour when they've uploaded

surprised you managed to write this much mate...know how much you wanted that next freshwater biggun.....luck of the draw mate....would be inconsolable personally....but the two pics up on FB...still a good fish...beats my best...like I told you 41lb...and that lead me a right old dance in stillwater...nevermind battling the flow too....they will still be there for a return chance :wink:

Nice fish cob i wouldn't be disapointed mate it's fishing not catching, i wanna go canada for the stergeon at some point. Did you go with stergeon slayers?

I went with a chap called Steve Kaye (Sturgeon Hunter). I can't recommend him enough. Excellent boat, good tackle and most importantly a good guide who know his stuff, the river- and you can sit and chat to for the 8 hours a day you're on the water with him. His web site is pretty good and he's on facebook too.

Most of the guides operate out of a place called chilliwack- which is about 2 hours out of vancouver.

i wouldnt be disappointed myself lol. some great pics there mate

I tried not to be disappointed whilst I was there and keep my head up...it's only when I've got back and have thought it through how tough it was. Although a 100lb+ was the goal...my real objective was to find a fish that was going to physically test me with a gruelling fight. It has to be said- these fish- in some of the fast water we were fishing (20 oz to hold bottom) went like absolute stink. One of the sub 100lbers spooled my dad in seconds. We had to up anchor and chase it as it took 150 yards with ease.

very nice,always fancied it but then again i've always fancied marlin fishing off the florida keys shark fishing in Australia bone fish fishing in cuba cod fishing in norway and so on,just never had the money,i have managed 2 trips to france but caught bigger in england

The worlds a big place, with a lot of fish in it. Loads still to catch. :D

Bang for buck- the Ebro takes some beating.

most wont see it....but look at the scenery behind you.....thats a lottery win right there mate!! :wink:

The funny thing is we commented on the very same thing- Unfortunately the comment we made was "look at all that flipping scenery...and we've been staring at those rod tips for 8 hours".

It is a stunning country.

Very expensive in BC though. Everything is 20-30% more expensive than the UK. Except Petrol....thats about half price.

Cobleyn, it's in the news this morning - someone from Kamloops has bagged one near Chilliwack, 3.5m long, estimated 500 kilos, could be as much as 400 years old. That's the second biggie this year to come out of there. I still think you did alright with those in the pictures.