chods , fixed or running?

carperdude3d

just wondering what every ones preference is when fishing the chod rig , either fixed with the two beads close together or running with the beads far apart so it can settle were it wants? presentation wise i think the running version sounds better but i just think it gives the fish to much play , especially on a slack line

just wondering what every ones preference is when fishing the chod rig , either fixed with the two beads close together or running with the beads far apart so it can settle were it wants? presentation wise i think the running version sounds better but i just think it gives the fish to much play , especially on a slack line

Years ago long before "Chods" were the fashionable name for Silt rigs I came up with a set-up that works with the beads fixed on a piece of sliding tubing. The whole length of tubing is able to slide up the line, so that the bait and hooklink settles on top of the silt, yet when you play a fish, it will slide down to the lead.

I actually worry about a set-up where the lead is trailing a long way behind the fish if the rig is fixed say 30centimetres up the line, and I also don't think that it is best fished with a slack line.

My reason for this is that at times the fish can easily eject (any) the hook/rig set up. If the line is slack you may not know that you have been done, whereas with a tight line you should at least get a bleep or 2 when you get done, and can deal with it.

I stand with nick on this...not ever in thirty years have I needed to have a fixed position on a silt rig...it negates the idea behind the rig...the lead plugging into silt creates the ability for the hook to bite...and never used slack lines on it....sensitivity is lost...which gets away from the whole idea for me

Here's a little something for you to think about when setting up a chod/silt rig. Get a piece of line or leadcore and fix you lead on the end. now stick said piece of line an inch up from the lead in to your mouth bite down on it and shake your head. Now obviously you will get whacked around the face but at the same time you will realise that it would be easy for mr carp to use the lead to help it get rid of the hook during the fight. Now get the line 12" up from the lead and do the same thing, the lead hardly moves about and it is a lot harder to use the weight of the lead to help get rid of the hook. I now have my bottom bead at least 12" from the lead when using the chod and hookpulls are pretty well a thing of the past for me while using the rig.

Here's a little something for you to think about when setting up a chod/silt rig. Get a piece of line or leadcore and fix you lead on the end. now stick said piece of line an inch up from the lead in to your mouth bite down on it and shake your head. Now obviously you will get whacked around the face but at the same time you will realise that it would be easy for mr carp to use the lead to help it get rid of the hook during the fight. Now get the line 12" up from the lead and do the same thing, the lead hardly moves about and it is a lot harder to use the weight of the lead to help get rid of the hook. I now have my bottom bead at least 12" from the lead when using the chod and hookpulls are pretty well a thing of the past for me while using the rig.

i totally agree with that. i got shown that a year or so back, i switched the stop knot on the bottom bead to just knotting the LC so it can never slip down. as i lost a few close in as the stop knot had slipped down :cry:

but iv also had 2 snag me from the long drop...one i lost, but the other i managed to pass the rod through the bush(40mins work)....and on the other side there was a carp swimming about with the lead sitting in a fork of a small branch :shock::roll:

i havent use the rig since losing the last carp, preferring to use other pop up rigs where the lead is above the fish on any water where margin snags are present.

I always fish a chod rig on a slack line. When I draw the rig out in my head when it is cast out and settled, I imagine the tight line to the lead. Where the rig sits in the main line, as jez says, around 12inches up; this would be off the deck putting the rig higher in the water than the 2 inch chod rig I have tied! Granted, fishing in deep silt this wouldn't be so prominent. Over light leaf litter etc though, and at short to mid range, I can't get past this feeling in my head!

deep silt is what I fish in nige...but yes I see your view....always have on a tight backleaded line and never had a worry with it...good indication and in conjunction with an old 80s trick (sliding hair)...very good hook up ratio....horses for courses :D

Fish the lead on a 12" weak link

i worry though that if i crack off or get cut off, that the weak link will go before the hook link leaves the leader....if thats LC i dont see how(without the leads weight) it can get dumped.... i fear it may make it half way, but then would the two ends twist around and never get free??? scary thought :idea:

I always fish it on a mega slack line and takes are usually flyers. I usually have it set that the rig is set to fish about 30" up from the lead over most bottoms. If fishing over deeper weed or really messy bottoms i might fish it 60" up from the lead. To me it just suits slack lines and i never have good results on tight lines but saying that i never fish tight lines anymore unless snag fishing. The chods just suit the way i fish at the moment, no marker rods no spod rods just find a bit of bubbling etc and quietly put a bait on to them.

deep silt is what I fish in nige...but yes I see your view....always have on a tight backleaded line and never had a worry with it...good indication and in conjunction with an old 80s trick (sliding hair)...very good hook up ratio....horses for courses :D

I've wrote on hear a few years ago about how I thought a backless helped the hooking of the 'naked' chod. The waters I was fishing up until June this year though, back leads we're a big no no due to the amount of weed present. At sandhurst however, I backleaded my line and had a funny take which I said to courtz that I thought it wasnt a carp. Turned out to be a 40!

i worry though that if i crack off or get cut off, that the weak link will go before the hook link leaves the leader....if thats LC i dont see how(without the leads weight) it can get dumped.... i fear it may make it half way, but then would the two ends twist around and never get free??? scary thought :idea:

I dont use a leader or leadcore though. But if you are using a chod and you get cut off/crackoff surely you are set up that the hooklink just pulls off over the leader.

I always fish it on a mega slack line and takes are usually flyers. I usually have it set that the rig is set to fish about 30" up from the lead over most bottoms. If fishing over deeper weed or really messy bottoms i might fish it 60" up from the lead. To me it just suits slack lines and i never have good results on tight lines but saying that i never fish tight lines anymore unless snag fishing. The chods just suit the way i fish at the moment, no marker rods no spod rods just find a bit of bubbling etc and quietly put a bait on to them.

Yep. Flyers on slack lines, bitty takes when backleaded!

I dont use a leader or leadcore though. But if you are using a chod and you get cut off/crackoff surely you are set up that the hooklink just pulls off over the leader.

yep thats my point and why i dont think rotten bottom/weak link leads on heli and leader set ups are safe.

Like I say...horses for courses....the waters I fish are deep silt...slack lines dont do it for me...and at range a backlead is the way for me...about thiry foot from the tip to cut the angles....when the need arises I do fish slack...but it doesnt arise very often....snag fishing is my preferred and never backlead for this...rarely fish a silt rig in all truth...far more options of a better format available...never fish pop ups...hate them almost as much as MY ex and have no confidence in them...but I know they have their place....each to their own.... :lol:

I always fish a chod rig on a slack line. When I draw the rig out in my head when it is cast out and settled, I imagine the tight line to the lead. Where the rig sits in the main line, as jez says, around 12inches up; this would be off the deck putting the rig higher in the water than the 2 inch chod rig I have tied! Granted, fishing in deep silt this wouldn't be so prominent. Over light leaf litter etc though, and at short to mid range, I can't get past this feeling in my head!

same here pal

Like I say...horses for courses....the waters I fish are deep silt...slack lines dont do it for me...and at range a backlead is the way for me...about thiry foot from the tip to cut the angles....when the need arises I do fish slack...but it doesnt arise very often....snag fishing is my preferred and never backlead for this...rarely fish a silt rig in all truth...far more options of a better format available...never fish pop ups...hate them almost as much as MY ex and have no confidence in them...but I know they have their place....each to their own.... :lol:

Snag fishing, I wouldnt be wanting to use the chod rig or any other heli type rig. As you say, much better options. Since being back on the meres, I haven't used a chod at all. You know how silty and 'choddy' they are Del. Been using very, very light leads and small 'fluffy' bags. A wafter has been the bait so far.

Best waters to fish for my mind mate....whole host of problems to think through...and that set of meres are a stunner mate....love deep silt and the fish it brings...nothing like it for me :wink: ...and yes any heli rig etc on that bed is a no no...especially within twenty yards of a snag....you having much success fella???....did you hit the big un first?? or working up to her?

Heli rigs for me are a no no when snag fishing for me i only use free running rigs if i do find myself in that situation. I still think tight lines are a no no on chods and i'm happy with my results on them (11 fish last weekend).

Beanz, i see what you are saying about the weak link but i still feel the short hooklink will travel up and off the mainline ok. I also am fishing a snag free water at the moment and i feel i would be most unlucky to suffer a crack off infact i cant remember the last one. I dont use LC so i dont need to worry about that getting tangled of cauught up on snags etc. I can see your point though and if my water changed my rigs would also change to suit.