Your 'go anywere' rig?

bcfcarp1

Hiya

Recentley I've been doing a lot of research and messing about with a rig I can pretty much take anywhere and cast out in the knowledge that it is going to be well presented in most situations. I do a lot of quick day sessions and time is very limited so getting the lines out quickly is paramount and giving me the best chance of bagging fairley quick . I need a rig I can also present many different types of baits, for example bottom baits, smaller particals and popups depending on the situation.

I know there is obviousley exceptions when other rigs will come into play ie chods etc

I've came to a conclusion that a kd style rig is some thing that could be the answer. I can use it in conjunction with popups single bottom baits and even smaller particles when critically balanced. Also they are very quick to tie with not many components and I can attach a small pva stick for anti tangle. I can alter the lengths to the desired length which is usually 8 inches as a starting off point

If any one has a ' go anywhere rig' that may be a better answer to mine that would be great because ATM I'm not 100 percent on this.

Many thanks Rob

I feel a go anywhere rig largely relies on the lead system you decide to use. I feel the most go anywhere rig you could use would be on a helicopter set where the lead drops off. Tying the lead to a large ring at the end of your leader or mainline with 4lb mono should be enough to cast short to medium ranges and is safe in any condition. A rig as simple as a knotless knot hair rig would be presented well on a helicopter rig that has the back bead sitting a fair distance back.

Don't confuse yourself with rigs.

A simple knotless knotted rig will work almost everywhere, easiest to tie, no faffing about, will work over gravel, silt, clay, sand, you name it it will work. It is easy enough to change to suit, lengthen the hair or rig length.

A Basic Braid Rig

Supernovaknotlessknottedrig.jpg

It is as simple as attaching a hook with a knotless knot, and in many or even most case that simple is best. There are sometimes when a rig needs to be slightly upgraded and by adding a Line Aligner then you can create a more aggresive hooking angle

Coated Braid with a Line Aligner:

Hooklink.jpg

Many people confuse themselves with rigs, and for NO reason other than the magazines insist we have to be more complicated using 360, KD, Withy etc.

This may give you some interesting reading:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=9536&highlight=complicated+rigs

I think Nick is right, that rig will catch fish. Used it for years myself, I only changed to a combi as I wanted that stiff boom. Now I fish combi rigs on 2 rods and a chod on the 3rd, the chod is the one that gets cast to showing fish.

The stiff boom may work against you in some silty conditions though.

Salokcinnodrog that thread that you attached is very informative and has gave me many things to think about. A simple knotless knot rig is as simple as you can get and I have caught many fish with this basic rig but I started carp fishing to develop as an angler, and sticking to a basic rig all the time is IMO, not making me a better angler. I will continue to use a basic knotless knot rig when in certain situations but I do want to develop my skills.

Also I'm not one for following trends and using the latest rig because it is IMO a way of making money from people who have too much money :)

As far as always using a chod rig Emmcee I think this will always be a rig I use but in the right situation. I want a rig I can get a quick bite on as time is limited and a rig I can use many different baits on.

Maybe the humble knotless knot is the answer, but maybe this isn't making me a better angler Or is it?

Salokcinnodrog that thread that you attached is very informative and has gave me many things to think about. A simple knotless knot rig is as simple as you can get and I have caught many fish with this basic rig but I started carp fishing to develop as an angler, and sticking to a basic rig all the time is IMO, not making me a better angler. I will continue to use a basic knotless knot rig when in certain situations but I do want to develop my skills.

Also I'm not one for following trends and using the latest rig because it is IMO a way of making money from people who have too much money :)

As far as always using a chod rig Emmcee I think this will always be a rig I use but in the right situation. I want a rig I can get a quick bite on as time is limited and a rig I can use many different baits on.

Maybe the humble knotless knot is the answer, but maybe this isn't making me a better angler Or is it?

Rigs don't make you a better angler :wink:

Developing your skills comes from watching how fish behave, how and where they feed.

What makes you a better angler is putting your basic rig in the place where the fish feed and understanding them. That rig you can use many different baits on is the basic knotless knotted rig. I use it as my first point of call on almost every water I fish. It gets used for sweetcorn and other particles, boilies, luncheon meat etc.

It works almost everywhere, on a float set-up as well as on the lead, and still catches fish. It can be used for pop-ups bottom baits and snowman set-ups.

From that basic rig you can develop your fishing, change the hair and rig length when you see where the fish is hooked when you are landing them, or lengthen the hair if you are losing fish to hookpulls.

It has been said that there is no more advance in carp fishing than the hair rig, and nothing has superceded it since.

Yeh that's what I want to be able to do, have a pretty simple rig I can adjust easily ie length, hair size and so on.

There you have it then.

The basic knotless knotted rig can be tied with Braid (as pictured), coated braid, mono or fluoro (just be aware that fluoro and mono can be rubbed through on the eye of the hook). The hair length is easily changed, can be used for pop-ups by adding a stop (knot, shot) and putty and can be fished over pretty much anything by changing the rig length to cater for different lakebeds, can be fished as a single bait, with PVA bags, stringers or mesh.

It can be used with Helicopter set-ups, semi-fixed or running leads.

Mine is a very simple rig, its just 6 inches of 15lb Kameleon Braid, tied knotless knot style at the hook end. The only difference being is i tie a mini rig ring instead of a hair, i then tie the bait on using bait floss threaded through the chosen bait. This enables me to use any size bait to suit any situation.

..... I have caught many fish with this basic rig but I started carp fishing to develop as an angler, and sticking to a basic rig all the time is IMO, not making me a better angler. ............making me a better angler Or is it?

How can changing rigs make you a better angler?

I have been carp angling for 45 years and I am now using the same rig that I started with in 1967 and I go carp fishing to catch carp so developing as an angler means learning how to find the fish and how to present a bait to them in the right spot.

K.I.S.S. will serve you well.