big carp in essex

Spiceychicken,

There are a few waters that you can have a go at around your area. I believe the fishery by the Weeley roundabout (next to the bypass) has fish to over 30lb in it and can be fished on a day ticket. I'm afraid that I don't know the name of the fishery as it isn't really my cup of tea.

Also, there are a couple of clubs in that area that you could join fairly cheaply. One that springs to mind is Paxmans Angling Club. They have a water in St Osyth that is packed full with pasties and a really nice lake at Arlesford that holds fish up to 28lb. I believe Paxmans is only £35 a year.

If you want to travel further, the lake next to A12 in Chelmsford is a day ticket water that apprently has fish to over 20lb.

The up shot is, there are loads of water around the Clacton/Colchester area that have twenties in them. Pop into one of the local tackle shops and they will be able to help you as well.

Thanks for your advise, I have fished the lakes at weeley. There are 4 lakes there one is right next to the bypass near the train tracks and i beleive it was netted by the owner last year and they took most of the big carp out and put them in the preditor lake at the top near the round about that also has catfish in up to 35lb, but its a very hard water to fish even in the summer i spent many,many nights there this year and blanked. I did catch my first catfish there and for an 8 lb cat it put up a fight.

I was thinking of joining CAPS this year, but dont know that much about there lakes and rivers.

Here is the link to the CAPS website. You should be able to find out all the info about joining fees, the waters they hold etc on that website.

http://www.colchesteraps.org/

Personally, I haven't been a member of CAPS for about 5 years. Yes they have great waters that hold carp over 40 pounds, but their waters get rammed. I remember fishing Bovington 2 when you wouldn't see another soul for days on end, now it's just a circus. But thats my opinion because I remember "the good old days".

However, if you want a chance to catch big carp on a club ticket then CAPS is one of your best choices in this area.

Also have a look at Sudbury and District Angling Association.

They may sound quite a way out from Clacton, but they have quite a few waters dotted around the Colchester area as well.

They don't have a website, but the Membership Sec address is:

Sudbury and District Angling Society

T R Fairless

39 Pot Kiln Road, Gt Cornard, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 0DG.

Permits are also sold through Sudbury Angling

Sudbury Angling Centre, Unit 2, Acton Square, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 6HG. -- Tel: 01787 312118

There are also plenty of Carp in the River Stour if you have the Patience to try to find them. For help with that, then THE BOOK Neil Waytes River Carping had a chapter by Ted Head on the Stour :wink:

LAA also have a couple of Lakes in the area

Also have a look at Sudbury and District Angling Association.

They may sound quite a way out from Clacton, but they have quite a few waters dotted around the Colchester area as well.

They don't have a website, but the Membership Sec address is:

Sudbury and District Angling Society

T R Fairless

39 Pot Kiln Road, Gt Cornard, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 0DG.

Permits are also sold through Sudbury Angling

Sudbury Angling Centre, Unit 2, Acton Square, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 6HG. -- Tel: 01787 312118

There are also plenty of Carp in the River Stour if you have the Patience to try to find them. For help with that, then THE BOOK Neil Waytes River Carping had a chapter by Ted Head on the Stour :wink:

LAA also have a couple of Lakes in the area

Spicey there is a new lake at Stamford Le Hope,I don,t know much about it but I used to live there so if you did by any chance go there prap,s you could give me some feedback..

Nick..I have considered buying said book,is it worth £20 and is it up to date cos the picture on the front makes it look very dated

Hi Mate,

The publishing date was 2000.

I wouldn't say it's the best book for Rigs for fishing on Rivers. Yet on the Location side of the rivers it covers then I would say its spot on. Any chapter can be used to work out on your own Local river depending on the characteristics.

As for the cost, I don't know if I would pay £20 for it. I got it from my Book Club for £5.99 :wink:

Thanks i shall give them a call, I am off to weeley bypass for a days fishing today, hopefully i should have some luck as its still quite mild.

Does anyone any good bait tips for the cold season?

I am trying a pop up sweet corn with a piece of maize on a rig and also lob worms, I dont seem to have any luck with boilies(Infact i dont think i have ever caught with a boilie).

Thanks again.

Thank,s mate I think I,ll buy a copy then....

Lol :lol:

Little bit of Sarcasm there methinks!

Zammo,

Seriously if you can get it as an Introductory Offer from a Book Club, I have seen it for 99pence, its worthwhile.

Sorry Nick lol I was serious achewally,I,ll join a book club

Spicey if you are using worms at the moment,there is an article in this months Crafty Carper on using worms.Very informative...

Thank,s mate I think I,ll buy a copy then....

Lol :lol:

Little bit of Sarcasm there methinks!

Zammo,

Seriously if you can get it as an Introductory Offer from a Book Club, I have seen it for 99pence, its worthwhile.

Sorry Nick lol I was serious achewally,I,ll join a book club

Spicey if you are using worms at the moment,there is an article in this months Crafty Carper on using worms.Very informative...

Hi Mate,

No Need to apologise :D I think we were having as much fun with the statement.

I don't know how book clubs can get away with pricing books at such low prices when the Cover Price is much higher?

Bures Lake is the London Angling Assoc. Lake I couldn't think of

Just outside Bures this lake is well away from the road and completely fenced in. Known for its very big tench, this water also contains large carp along with roach, bream and also a good head of eels.

We have stocked this water recently with a considerable number of silver fish and a number sizable carp. It is planned to introduce further batches of fish within the next few months.

I did buy a copy of that issue and read both articles about the worms, but it was very much like the one in Carp Addict last month.

Infact the bit about putting a worm on a hair rig was almost excactly the same!

Anyway I had no luck with worms all morning, when I switched to a pop up sweet corn and a bit of real corn I had a take within seconds.

I will be joining CAPS very soon as they have quite a few carp lakes in essex.

I love night fishing but need a better bivvy as mine is freezing.

Has anyone been to the A12 lakes near chelmsford, its a day ticket venue and it looks like they have been doing quite a bit of work there on the swims and changing the shape of the lakes?

Spicy

Has anyone been to the A12 lakes near chelmsford, its a day ticket venue and it looks like they have been doing quite a bit of work there on the swims and changing the shape of the lakes?

Spicy

Here is a link to the website for the A12 lakes. I've not fished it so I can't comment or give any advise, but you could always give it a try :P

http://www.a12lakes.co.uk/specimentlake.html

Guest Anonymous
hi have you tried little oakley fishery i thank the biggest fish is just over 20lb, its not a bad place i think its better than weeley.

Is that you Nicky?

Spicey... Had a 23 n arf pound Mirror out of Weeley Predator lake a couple of weeks ago on Boilies... You could join Lawford Angling Society, Reedlands Fisheries, Paxmans, or Brantham Angling Club etc... most have a waiting list though. All details available, send a PM

Hi Everyone,

Just found this site through chance, thought i would say hello, i build and maintain the cuton lakes website.

If you need any advice just email neil on info@a12lakes.co.uk and he will more than be able to help you and give advice...

or www.a12lakes.co.uk for more information!

Any of you guys from this HUGE forum ever fished it!

I must have blanked about 9 or 10 times at weeley last year, but I got there about 6pm and fished to about 7 am. I think I need to do a 48 hour session and get a large bed of bait in the area I am fishing. It's all kinda new to me so I think I am a bit crap.

I have got quite a bit of kit now, but am just lacking in what to do and where to do it and also need a little bit of luck maybe?

Has anyone fished a place called Nounsley near Hatfield Peveral, not far off the A12. Its a kinda small kidney shaped lake but is packed with carp, my old work mate had a 23.5 lb mirror out of there last summer. Its were I have caught my PB carp.

Guest Anonymous

If the Hatfiel Peveral lake you mention is roughly behind 'The Fox' pub then yes, had a day there a couple of years ago, great sport but had nothing worth talking about.

As for Weeley, it's a funny lake, I've had 2 x 48hr sessions there & blanked but have also been there for a day & caught after 20 minutes. Last visit the wind was howling towards the bypass so I laid a bed of pellet & hemp of approx. 40 sqare feet in the corner... the only fish caught was the 23 n arf Mirror on a single boilie at 1-30 am chucked up the opposite end of the lake! As for luck... we all need that :wink:

A few people have told me about Paxmans, but what really puts me off is what you said about no night fishing for your first year, may be for under 18's but not adults.

I tried a 28 hour session over at weeley on monday-tuesday and I blanked again, infact there were two guys packing up when I got there and they had both blanked on a 24 hour session and another bloke set up the same time as me and he did'nt even had a single run or bite.

I know its alot slower fishing this time of year but it has been very mild!!

Its the worst place I have ever fished, I think they need to put a hell of alot more fish in there.

I have had more blanks at weeley than there is in my pants and I had the snip 2 years ago.

Spicy.

Guest Anonymous
A few people have told me about Paxmans, but what really puts me off is what you said about no night fishing for your first year, may be for under 18's but not adults.

I tried a 28 hour session over at weeley on monday-tuesday and I blanked again, infact there were two guys packing up when I got there and they had both blanked on a 24 hour session and another bloke set up the same time as me and he did'nt even had a single run or bite.

I know its alot slower fishing this time of year but it has been very mild!!

Its the worst place I have ever fished, I think they need to put a hell of alot more fish in there.

I have had more blanks at weeley than there is in my pants and I had the snip 2 years ago.

Spicy.

I blanked there on Tuesday too... I tried the Bottom Lake for a change cause I've blanked twice on the Predator Lake :roll: