the kd rig

delk28

Very easy to tie, simple knotless knot but whip round the hair twice, pull the hair back and whip underneath a further five times. Supposed to be used with a hook with a curved shank. The hook will sit very aggresively. The important part of the KD is to use it with a buoyant bait, either pop-up or plastic baits, counter balance the pop-up with split shot just underneath the bait so it still sits on the deck. The effectively weightless bait makes the eye of the hook light, which in turn, makes the point heavy, therefore the point will hang low ready to catch the bottom lip in the case of a pick up.

All this said I have used it, and caught fish on it, BUT I feel there are far better pop-up presentations out there. I used it when it first came into the media and didn't find it to up my catch rates or provide better hook holds so I havn't used it since.

Hope this helps

Will

hi guys

ive never fished the kd rig and have never tried tieing it either, ive heard it is a very effective rig to use! what are the advantages of using it compared to other rigs and does anyone have any guilds on how to tie it?

The latest fashion item as publicised by the magazines. In the majority of cases you are far better using a standard rig rather than following fashion. If everyone is doing the same KD rig, then it will seem to be catching loads of fish, yet the truth is that if everyone all fished a standard line aligner, or a knotless knotted rig and the same number of fish were caught, then each would show themselves to be as effective as the KD rig. :wink:

hi guys

ive never fished the kd rig and have never tried tieing it either, ive heard it is a very effective rig to use! what are the advantages of using it compared to other rigs and does anyone have any guilds on how to tie it?

The latest fashion item as publicised by the magazines. In the majority of cases you are far better using a standard rig rather than following fashion. If everyone is doing the same KD rig, then it will seem to be catching loads of fish, yet the truth is that if everyone all fished a standard line aligner, or a knotless knotted rig and the same number of fish were caught, then each would show themselves to be as effective as the KD rig. :wink:

Is a 'standard line aligner' a simple a rig as the 'KD'?

If I understand this right then, the KD rig is designed to hook the fish as the bait is sucked in? ie point passing into the outside of the lip and out of the inside?

I don't understand what you mean? It's designed to hook more effectively than other rigs, but all rigs are supposed to catch the bottom lip. No rig should be hooking the outside of the mouth and going in the inside, I don't know a rig that would be able to do this.

then I am not sure I understand the mechanics of the rig (sorry but I am an engineer by trade, and I need to understand these things!)

the rig is set so that as the bait is pulled into the mouth, it enters ring end first, and the point is heavy, so it will hang down. to me this looks like the point has a high chance of catching the outside of the lip as it goes in.

if the hook enters the mouth, and the fish blows the bait, then I can possibly see how the hook will turn and again head out ring first and the point may catch, but if the fish lifts the bait, it sounds like the chance of hooking against the weight of the weight is reduced somewhat.

Perhaps I will tie one up and try messing with it to see how it works. As I sit now I can't see an overall advantage, especially considering the potential for things going wrong. Again, I feel I should apologise - I do not mean to question the advice given, just to understand the action. If I can understand how/why it works I can make a better choice of if/when to use it.

then I am not sure I understand the mechanics of the rig (sorry but I am an engineer by trade, and I need to understand these things!)

the rig is set so that as the bait is pulled into the mouth, it enters ring end first, and the point is heavy, so it will hang down. to me this looks like the point has a high chance of catching the outside of the lip as it goes in.

if the hook enters the mouth, and the fish blows the bait, then I can possibly see how the hook will turn and again head out ring first and the point may catch, but if the fish lifts the bait, it sounds like the chance of hooking against the weight of the weight is reduced somewhat.

Perhaps I will tie one up and try messing with it to see how it works. As I sit now I can't see an overall advantage, especially considering the potential for things going wrong. Again, I feel I should apologise - I do not mean to question the advice given, just to understand the action. If I can understand how/why it works I can make a better choice of if/when to use it.

Still don't understand, there is no ring on this rig. It is just a simple knotless knot slightly modified, because the hook point hangs heavy it, in theory, should never hook a fish in the chin so to speak.

As the fish suck the rig in, the bait flys into its mouth and the hook will be hanging ready to catch. A hook will never flip upwards on a take as it is against the laws of physics. So the chances of hooking a fish in the chin through bad rig mechanics is virtually impossible. I wouldn't worry about it (what ever your theory is :? )

hi guys

Is a 'standard line aligner' a simple a rig as the 'KD'?

I suppose having to add a piece of silicon or shrink tubing makes it slightly more complicated than a slightly modified knotless knot :wink:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

you tie it as already explained, i have found it best if you use it with a drilled out boilie with a cork plug(cork on the hook side of the hair)you probably seen it on thinking tackle called 'the muza' /but i dont like it how theirs looks/

the idea is that by corking this bait ,it counteracts the weight of the hook and a bit more so the boilie is weightless,when the carp sucks,the bait flies up into the fishes mouth(and as the hair exits near the eye of the hook ,the point hangs down agressively)

this method is most effective when using a spread of boilies as the fish are moving more between baits,also use this on a longer hooklink

if you use the kd with a sot on the hair ,make sure that the bait sinks VERY slowly through the water as that is how the rig works is on the basis that the eye of the hook is effectively weightless and the gape heavy. also note that if you pull the rig across your hand it won't catch,as out of water it wont react as it does underwater!

every fish feeds in a different way so in theory one rig could catch a fish that 'does'other rigs give it a go mate :wink:

another "fashionable rig then... can see what knorty is saying, the KD rig is designed to make the rig act "point heavy" so as it is being sucked into the carps mouth boilie first, the hook is "supposed" to hang so the hook is near-upside down? this would mean the hook is hanging as a grappling hook almost, so if a point heavy hook was to be dragged accross the outside of the carps mouth on its way in, then it is conceivable that it could hook up on the outside of the carps mouth. after all the hook is following the boilie as it is propelled out of its mouth. so surely its conceivable that the hook will act the same regardless of which way its being sucked/blown as it is being forced in a particular direction by the propulsion of the boilie. the KD rig is designed to be point heavy - so the point is designed to drop into the floor of the mouth, and the point to hang low down to snare in the bottom lip, floor of mouth, surely if this action is snaring fish on the way out, as the hook point is hanging so it is the lowest point of the rig, then the same action would be true when it is being sucked in? when the hook point would (perhaps) drag along the chin and hook up.

if i'm honest, i couldnt give a monkeys about these so - called wonder-rigs, i find good bait application in the right location is much more important, you can catch a carp that is not there, no matter how hi-tec the rig is, i think the more hi-tec rigs are to catch anglers and make money - in my experience, the more hi-tec the rig is, the more likely it is to fail. i've used the simple silkworm - knotless knot - ESP/JRC hook for years, sometimes with the addition of shrinktube to flip the hook, which has always outfished the complicated hi-tec rigs i've used.

i went through a phase where i hadnt been fishing for a while due to work/family commitments. when i got back onto the lake, i struggled to get a fish, so convinced my rigs were at fault, so i trawled the mags and tied up all these complicated wonder-rigs and all i did was get increasingly more confused with each rig change, on the end my confidence was shot, i didnt know what i was doing, what would work, nothing - but i had the best hi-tec in vouge wonder-rig by the mags, so surely that couldnt be it? maybe it was my location? - no, there were carp over my spots, the bait? no it was a bait i had used lots of time in the past to brilliant success, so what was it? i reeled in and looked at my rigs and they were rediculous, shot and tubing and rings and swivels everywhere - but the magazines had raved about these rigs as the next best thing since sliced bread, but in the cold light of day - on the bank in a real life situation, they looked clownlike, cluttered, a useless mess really! so i cut them off, tied up simple knotless knot hair-rigs on silkworm, to simple running rigs, exactly the same rigs i'd started with over 12yrs before - and had been using ever since - as they worked a treat, cast back tothe spots and finally, the alarm went into its warcry - i started to catch again, the bait and location were the same, but the rigs were different, the ironic thing is, if i had looked back to my previous successes on this rig/bait combination, then i should have had the confidence to stick to my guns and ride out the blanks safe in the knowledge that they worked, and worked well, but i fell into the trap of believing that my rigs were at fault and i needed to "upgrade" them to the wonder-rig of the day, which ended up destroying my confidence and doing much more harm than good, that was about 3yrs ago, and i still use the exact same type of rigs now, and have done really well on them wherever i've taken them. its the correct bait application and the correct location that will produce the goods, not the spinning/cutting/blowback/flipper/rythymisadancer rig. in fact, i can think of many occassions when i have been tempted to use more compicated rigs than the situation dictated - because the mags say its the wonder-rig when the simple rig would have been much better - and my catches have suffered as a result. i now refine my basic rigs to suit, silkworm or amnesia - shrinktube or not, and i'm happy with my success rate now.

ouchthathurt :roll:

I dont get why so many people complicate these ideas!! It isnt a complex rig by any means!

The hookhold is different pretty much every time you use this rig. Thats because the mechanics of it enable the hook to flip and turn. That coupled with the aggresive angle the hook sits at! Its a good rig and used right is deadly.

If your unsure how to tie it then find a diagram of it. As said before tye korda website shows it clearly!

Yep i'll agree with that! Watercraft and bait location. There is no getting away from the fact that carp get away with it more then you think. The KD rig has caught me fish that perhaps a basic rig wouldnt have. FACT.

Rig mechanics and new ideas are v

ery welcome in my world of fishing.