BIRMINGHAM AIRPORT CARP WATERS

i used to fish lavender regular and have had fish upto 20lb 4oz and plenty of them upto 21 fish in 24h session sorry ian but all these fish came from between the islands from the station peg and most of them fell to 15-22mm hallibut pellets with small bags but when ther price went up i stopped fishing it ,i'd rather put £15 in petrol and travel to linear fisheries and pay £38 for 48hours,steve who works there will give you good info and fishes the pool himself.nice bloke

Mick, there is no need to apologise. My mention of fishing to the island, or not, referred to Barston, not Lavender Hall, as did my comment about the wind affecting catching. Try to keep up for heaven's sake! Bloody Brummies! :D:D

Ian

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all.... do any of you guys know anything about fishing at plants brook in erdington i.e. is it fishable and what it is like, i cant seem to find much on google about it :?

cheers guys, nathan

Not sure if its a nature reserve now, but I know people used to fish over there years ago. Could be a no-go?

hi all.... do any of you guys know anything about fishing at plants brook in erdington i.e. is it fishable and what it is like, i cant seem to find much on google about it :?

cheers guys, nathan

Not sure if its a nature reserve now, but I know people used to fish over there years ago. Could be a no-go?

If it's the one I'm thinking of it's a reserve but limited fishing is allowed. It's a Pike water, I think.

Just looked in the A-Z and it is the one I'm thinking of. Oh, and it's shown as a nature reserve as EV suggested. I had a look there a few years ago and I'm half sure that I'm right about the Pike.

Ian

yeah from what i have found out this morning there are a lot of pike there and there is a good amount of carp apparently but the place that people seem to fish for carp is pype hayes park. (so ive been told) i gonna go have a walk around up both of them later and see what the score is.

I was working near there yesterday so called in for a look. The notice board carries a list of rules relating to fishing and claims pike, perch and roach are present, no mention of carp.

Fishing is only allowed along a certain stretch of the bank nearest the car park, this is also shown on the notice board. It looks a pleasant, tranquil place.

Ian

Nobody was fishing when I was there. In fact I'm fairly sure I was the only person there, I saw nobody else and there were no cars parked.

The place does look fishy and the bank from which fishing is permitted would certainly give sufficient room for carp fishing, pod etc.

I live about 4 miles from there so will, at some point, give it a go. Rude not to, really.

Even if there are no carp I'd be content to try for good perch. Oh, forgot to mention, live baiting is absolutely NOT permitted. It's a Nature Reserve, after all!

Ian

i walked round there myself today and also spotted the notice board on the way in say pike roach and perch but no carp :(

just as ian said theres only a certain part of the lake that can be fished with maybe 8 pegs or so but there is enough room there.

i didnt spot any carp what so ever although there was a huge swell under one of the fallen trees (more than likely a pike)

its a nice place so its worth ago for all u pike fisherman.

ive been fishing shard end lately but it seems to be a bream pit although i have spotted a number of carp there, i also fished babbs mill for a few hours yesterday after doing the night up shard end and had a 27lb 9oz mirror off the surface (new pb for me)

do any of you rate the canal or watever it is that flows along side near plantsbrook for carp as i had a walk along there too today but the only carp i saw was floating along dead (poor thing)

i walked round there myself today and also spotted the notice board on the way in say pike roach and perch but no carp :(

just as ian said theres only a certain part of the lake that can be fished with maybe 8 pegs or so but there is enough room there.

i didnt spot any carp what so ever although there was a huge swell under one of the fallen trees (more than likely a pike)

its a nice place so its worth ago for all u pike fisherman.

ive been fishing shard end lately but it seems to be a bream pit although i have spotted a number of carp there, i also fished babbs mill for a few hours yesterday after doing the night up shard end and had a 27lb 9oz mirror off the surface (new pb for me)

do any of you rate the canal or watever it is that flows along side near plantsbrook for carp as i had a walk along there too today but the only carp i saw was floating along dead (poor thing)

It's the Birmingham-Fazeley Canal and does hold carp to a good size. Further along the canal, at Curdworth is a good spot. There are a few houses behind the White Horse pub which back onto the canal and the residents throw food and kitchen scraps to the fish. I've witnessed a shoal of good carp waiting to be fed.

Ian

hi ian, yeah i wouldnt mind giving that canal a go there was some bloke fishing it but was just fishing for little stuff and he didnt know if there was carp there.

i was just looking at beaver pool in water orton on google earth could you tell me how i would go about fishing it as i read something on another forum saying it was bothered with by baliffs but it was sydicate run :?: when i say go about fishing it i mean who to contact to find out price and how to pay.

cheers nathan

Beaver Pool is currently run by Kingsbury and District Angling Club. £18-00 for one rod, £34-00 for two. Apply to K Stilgoe, 8 Slingsby, Dosthill, Tamworth B77 1JS.

The story is that many of the good fish now live in Shard End Lake. As do many from Salford and Babbs Mill. Others were eaten by Eastern Europeans, many of whom worked at Beaver Metals, the pool's owners. I didn't renew my membership this year.

You pay your money and......don't catch many carp. Good perch, though.

Ian

well i have fished shard end for the last 3 weekends running now and have only caught bream......... i have spotted a few carp but they are very hard to catch there and i would say there is less than 10 carp in there thats why i went round to babbs mill to have ago and i spotted more carp there in 2 hours than i did at shard end in 120 hours and and caught one :D

i think im definitely going to do the fazeley canal at the end of the week although i havent really ever fished canals for carp, is it much different from fishing lakes? is it better to fish midwater rather than on the bottom?

any tips guys would be great :D

Nate you found anything more about plantsbrook i live very close to it and to be honest didnt even know it was there,ill take a walk round at some point and see what i can find out,even if theres no carp might be handy for a bit of pikin later in the year.

• 6 months later...

The eastern europeans that work at beaver metal have eaten the fish out of beaver?? :lol::roll: proof?

Beaver can be an easy water if you put your head down..

Theres only 6 carp in plantsbrook nature reserve big lake, but they do all patrol together... One gorgeous koi.....Birds are a pain in the arse, you'll never see anybody fishing it...apart from for the pike

The eastern europeans that work at beaver metal have eaten the fish out of beaver?? :lol::roll: proof?

Erm, witnessing a group of guys eating the remains of a barbecue grilled fish, barby still smouldering on the bank, whilst speaking in a tongue I didn't understand. On two different occasions. Oh, and the fact that the Bailiff, who was unimpressed but elderly, told me that they were allowed to fish there without membership as they were employees of the Pool's owners. Now call me a cynic but that was sufficient proof for me.

I suppose they could have been intending to have a fish barbecue and happened to have some fish with them when they got lost. While looking for Lithuania, maybe.

Ian

I didn't say I didn't believe you about the Europeans eating fish...but how did you know they worked up the road? Did you speak to them? :roll:

Did you read the bit about them speaking in a tongue I didn't understand? I speak French and some Russian but understood not one word of what they spoke. So no, I didn't speak to them, as such. They either didn't, or wouldn't, speak English.

No need, really. I live very near to the water and pass it all the time. The car that they were using at the pool is/was parked on the Beaver Metals car park, daily. The one right beside the road.

Yes, I spoke to both Old Ray and slightly less old Alan. Both were less than happy but had their hands tied, or so they felt.

Ian

So you work there. Did you when loads of scrap was stolen and the owners dug great big pits along the back of the pool to prevent vehicle/trailer access? My son and I helped to make secure the gate/railing at the fishery entrance.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...