BIRMINGHAM AIRPORT CARP WATERS

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI DOES ANYONE NO THE NAME OF THE POOL/LAKE BY BRUM AIRPORT

I imagine that you refer to the lake over the Coventry Road (A45) from the end of the shorter runway. If so it has no name but is on the grounds of the Civil Service Members Social Club which is in Damson Lane, just up the road from the lake.

I've been to a few functions at this club and have asked several members about fishing there and received several differing answers, the most popular seem to be that you need to either work for the Civil Service or be invited to fish as a guest of a member.

You obviously know the area so why not visit the club and ask the question?

If this isn't the water you refer to come back and I'll probably be able to help.

Ian

HI DOES ANYONE NO THE NAME OF THE POOL/LAKE BY BRUM AIRPORT[/quote

I imagine that you refer to the lake over the Coventry Road (A45) from the end of the shorter runway. If so it has no name but is on the grounds of the Civil Service Members Social Club which is in Damson Lane, just up the road from the lake.

I've been to a few functions at this club and have asked several members about fishing there and received several differing answers, the most popular seem to be that you need to either work for the Civil Service or be invited to fish as a guest of a member.

You obviously know the area so why not visit the club and ask the question?

If this isn't the water you refer to come back and I'll probably be able to help.

Ian

if it is the civil service water as ian say's the only way you get a chance to fish it is if you work as a civil servant, also if you notice the pool has lines that go across it with bird scarers on them to keep the gulls/cormerants away

• 3 weeks later...
pendago lake i think it is, think its a club the has the rights for it. phoine the n.e.c and ask

Andy, pardon my correction. it's Pendigo Lake. I've spent several minutes on google and can't find who runs the fishing on there, I live 5 minutes drive from NEC.

Ian

pendago lake i think it is, think its a club the has the rights for it. phoine the n.e.c and ask

Andy, pardon my correction. it's Pendigo Lake. I've spent several minutes on google and can't find who runs the fishing on there, I live 5 minutes drive from NEC.

Ian

no problem ian

seem to remember it was fished by the n.e.c's own fishing club. but it was years ago, so it might have changed

Ian

no problem ian

seem to remember it was fished by the n.e.c's own fishing club. but it was years ago, so it might have changed

That's just triggered a distant memory.....it may be that the NEC fire brigade has the rights, maybe the entire local brigade/s.

I occasionaly have a drink with a couple of guys who work at NEC, next time I do I'll ask the question.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hi Nathan, welcome to this forum. I note that your in Smiths Wood. My son lives there, in Severn Close off Tamar Drive. I'm in Water Orton so we are all neighbours.

The NEC lake still remains a bit of an enigma in that I cannot find out who holds the fishing rights. I've just had dinner with my son and asked him. He believes that it's something to do with the Fire Brigade, which was my first thought, although he has no more details than I, unfortunately.

You could give Pine Pool at Kingsbury Water Park a go or take a look on www.Fisheries.co.uk for an extensive list of local waters.

Good luck.

Ian

Thanks for the quick reply ian, i had a search earlier to see what info i could come up with. From what i can see the nec use it when they do the national fishing exhibition and its occassionaly used for matchs but like you say i cant find who has the rights for there.

I have been on the net most of the day searching for a venue where i can stay and do maybe 2-3 days in one go. The link you provided was very usefull thanks, I have now found many places that look quite intresting like cuttle mill although they do not allow night fishing i believe.

Kingsbury seems to crop up quite often. Have you ever fished there? if so what are the the good pegs there and what is the stock situation there i.e. many large double figure carp there and is there a good chance of landing a nice fish there or is it kind of hit and miss?

Thanks again nathan

Thanks for the quick reply ian, i had a search earlier to see what info i could come up with. From what i can see the nec use it when they do the national fishing exhibition and its occassionaly used for matchs but like you say i cant find who has the rights for there.

I have been on the net most of the day searching for a venue where i can stay and do maybe 2-3 days in one go. The link you provided was very usefull thanks, I have now found many places that look quite intresting like cuttle mill although they do not allow night fishing i believe.

Kingsbury seems to crop up quite often. Have you ever fished there? if so what are the the good pegs there and what is the stock situation there i.e. many large double figure carp there and is there a good chance of landing a nice fish there or is it kind of hit and miss?

Thanks again nathan

Its a beautiful lake with some right corkers in there, its not easy by no means but if you have 1 theres a good chance its a 20 with the average being 18lb

Nathan, Cuttle Mill is like a fishing factory. Use the search facility to find out more. I won't fish there, end of. No night fishing either.

Have a look at Willesley Lake near Ashby de la Zouche. Very pretty, fairly peaceful midweek. A nice place to be, busy at weekends though.

There's loads more on the link I offered. Keep trolling! Have a look at Lavender Hall Fishery, near Berkswell. Station pool. Nights, specimen carp, cafe and tackle/bait shop. 5 miles from home. Breakfast brought to your swim :)

Ian

cheers ian what a great little place that is and the thought of breakfast being brought to the peg i just cant let that 1 go. I think im gonna jump in the car n have a nosey round up there 2moro and see whats happening.

thanks for that one ian.

nathan

There's loads more on the link I offered. Keep trolling! Have a look at Lavender Hall Fishery, near Berkswell. Station pool. Nights, specimen carp, cafe and tackle/bait shop. 5 miles from home. Breakfast brought to your swim :)

Ian

must admit lav hall does'nt appeal . went for a look round once. 18 people fishing 2 rods each in a pool just over an acre. saw a guy land a 24lber though, stood up for his piccy and dropped the fish

Ian

must admit lav hall does'nt appeal . went for a look round once. 18 people fishing 2 rods each in a pool just over an acre. saw a guy land a 24lber though, stood up for his piccy and dropped the fish

Andy, if your visit there was more than 3 years ago lots of changes have been made by the new(ish) owner.

Station pool has been enlarged and the spit and bridge to the island removed. Following this they netted all the pools and all specimen carp were put into Station Pool, the rest divided among the match/pleasure pools.

I rather like the place although the recorded messages from the tannoy at the adjacent railway station can be erm...annoying.

As for the guy who dropped the 24lb fish, he should have been returned to the water along with his catch!

Ian

Ian

Andy, if your visit there was more than 3 years ago lots of changes have been made by the new(ish) owner.

Station pool has been enlarged and the spit and bridge to the island removed. Following this they netted all the pools and all specimen carp were put into Station Pool, the rest divided among the match/pleasure pools.

I rather like the place although the recorded messages from the tannoy at the adjacent railway station can be erm...annoying.

As for the guy who dropped the 24lb fish, he should have been returned to the water along with his catch!

Ian

Whats in there and average sizes ian?

Best I've had was a scale perfect common at 22lbs. I can't comment on the stock levels or sizes as I simply don't know.

I can say that I've never blanked on there. Surface fishing on a warm day can be very rewarding :wink:

Ian