carping the river yare

i heard the tails of people cathing 30's from the yare but i have never fishied it myself, does anyone have a pictures of fish from the river?

im the thinking of having a go myself at the start of the new season so does anyone have any advise on were to fish and what baits to use? im thinking pre-baiting large amounts on particles for weeks inadvance just to get fish into the area as it's a hell of alot of water for the fish to hide in.

I don't have any photos left, I lost a lot when my Mrs and I split up, and over time as all mine were on prints.

Areas to search are around Thorpe St. Andrew in the old marina, by the New Cut, and by the New Cut entrances both ends, just downstream of the Railway bridge, Thorpe Green and Griffin Marina.

Bream can be a problem, and the fish can just disappear, although the old marina on the island is one of the spawning areas. Access used to be through the Houses opposite the Girls High School, or by doing a naughty across the bridge from the bottom of Thorpe Road near the Council Offices.

i find river carping easier than lakes,they dont seem to bunch up in a corner cause of the wind (where the isnt a free swim)and chances are theyll pass by your bait at least once over your sess

the hard part is normallly getting your kit to the spots worth targeting

and finding a hook strong enough to land them

i find river carping easier than lakes,they dont seem to bunch up in a corner cause of the wind (where the isnt a free swim)and chances are theyll pass by your bait at least once over your sess

the hard part is normallly getting your kit to the spots worth targeting

and finding a hook strong enough to land them

You've not seen the Yare, very few fish for a massive area. The fish can get from the Wensum New Mills Yard in Norwich, down to the junction of the 2 rivers, and back up to the last Mill on the Yare to basically Great Yarmouth with nothing to stop them. The river itself is 10metres deep in places as there are occasional freight carrying ships going up and down it.

While Whitlingham is just part of it, they don't always stay there, same as the bream, and boy did I try.

You also have the pub downstream from Postwick/Trowse side, Bramerton Woods End where they have been known to show, but that used to be set aside for Water Skiers on certain times and days.

Biggest I had was only double figures, and came from the Riverside Road stretch in the City (Wensum) by accident in the winter when I was fishing casters on the stick for Roach, but I have seen a lot bigger near The Compleat Angler (while I was having a drink waiting for a train).

A boat will save you a lot of travelling and set-up time, and is invaluable for access to areas where parking near the bankside is limited.

In fact only Norwich, Thorpe, Woods End, Griffin Marina and then down to Surlingham offer much bankside access.

Also some carp have also been landed in the Yare matches down near Cantley near the Sugar Beet Factory, nothing massive on the tackle intended for bream and roach. The flow down there can be absolutely awesome when the tide turns.

i should of mentioned im lucky and have the nene to fish :P the longest stretch between locks is about 7 miles

during april may and june thats the time to get out check out any back cuts and shallows that you can find from river maps or google earth,

they can arrive in them areas early for spawning and once they start you get idea of whats in there,

even then tho some cuts that you can get a rowing boat up 1 year can turn in to a mass of reeds, one year i walked across a 10ft wide cut that was solid, after a good winter and flood it was a hot spot again

thanks for all the info salokcinnodrog will help me out loads!

have you found that the carp and bream tend to stay together or are they just lone rangers?

The bream move around in reasonable size shoals, the carp tend to stay as individuals, except for spawning time.

Oh and I would suggest avoiding anything meaty as you have the bootlace eels, which although in decline, still love those maggots and casters in summer :shock:

Yare and Wensum Carp have definitely come out on boilies :wink:

...and bread, casters, sweetcorn and chick peas.

I was putting boilies in in the old marina when they moved in to spawn (over 20 years ago :shock: ), so I'm pretty positive they recognise them.

It is all going to be down to location and what you can find out, and some of that is going to have to be experimental fishing in various places :!:

youll have to do alot of walking mate and find them i carnt see you getting much info its a bit secret squirrel

I know this has been said before ,,,But the anglers lucky enough to have landed fish have done an awful lot of homework.

You MUST locate them first , then and only then you will have a chance.

Good luck in your quest :)

• 5 years later...

Nick, I'm bringing this out of the grave lol! Any idea if there are any carp along the section by the uea??

There were the occasional carp in the non tidal stretches, and a few barbel as well.

The upper Wensum was better for carp as a few escaped from the fish farm at Hellesdon.

• 1 month later...

the few fish left in the non tidals are getting harder and harder to track down but they are still about. the most consistant place to see them is new mills near toys-r-us. on the tidals in the city there is usually fish hanging around the footbridge near riverside complex . i did hear a rumour of a 50 fully scaled coming from cantley last year but one thing i can say is that those people that track down and catch carp from the river are hardly likely to divulge the true location on a forum.

• 7 years later...
On 13/12/2022 at 17:26, David.angling said:

Out of the grave again… I’m planning to do a little summer campaign on the river in summer 2023

any tips or info please?

I know this is all a bit underground so anything at all is appreciated 

I haven't lived around Norfolk for years, so the only advice I can offer is from my previous posts.